It’s been three months since we first got our hands on the brand new Scott Ransom. Fully redesigned for 2019 and beyond, the Ransom glides into the Scott lineup as the bigger and brawnier brother to the Genius. Equipped with no less than 170mm of travel at both ends, the Ransom is a burly 29er enduro bike that, with the flip of a geometry chip, will also accommodate 27.5+ wheels.
I’ve been testing the top-end Ransom 900 Tuned. It’s built upon a fancy HMX carbon fibre frame, which is claimed to weigh a rather incredible 2.65kg – and that’s with the rear shock and hardware. Despite the headline-grabbing weight figure, Scott’s engineers also claim that this is the strongest carbon frame they’ve ever tested.
With an eye-watering, comment-inducing £7k price tag, the 900 Tuned sits at the top of the Ransom tree. It’s equipped with a slick SRAM X01 Eagle drivetrain, Code RSC brakes, and that stunning one-piece carbon fibre handlebar and stem from Syncros. There’s a Fox Factory Series suspension package that includes a custom-built Nude TR shock, and it’s all wired up to the TwinLoc handlebar remote to deliver on-the-fly adjustability.
Even with the big Fox 36, chunky Maxxis tyres and alloy Syncros wheels, the Ransom 900 Tuned somehow still comes in under 30lb (13.12kg for the stock Medium test bike). Quite incredible for a bike of this stature.
You can read all about the technical marvels of the new Ransom in the news story here, which includes frame, geometry and spec information on the full range. You can also read my initial ride review, which details my experience after spending the first month aboard the Ransom 900 Tuned.
Euro Road Trippin’
Since then, I’ve spent a further two months aboard the Ransom. I’ve racked up around 1000km of riding during my Euro road trip, which took in some incredible destinations like Punta Ala, Finale Ligure and Molini in Italy, the Costa Blanca and Sierra Nevada in Spain, as well as Lagos and Lousa in Portugal.
Needless to say, we’ve had a lot of time to get to know each other. From exhausting two hour climbs in the mountains to reach technical, rocky and high exposure alpine trails, through to chasing trail riders while zooming around smooth, speedy beachside singletrack, the Ransom has seen a lot.
‘The Riding‘ section of this review is for members only. If you have an account, please log in. If not, you can get access by registering here for free.
Members get access to exclusive content like this but they also get..
- Fewer ads
- Post comments to stories
- Join in forum discussions
- Sell unwanted kit for free in our Classifieds
- Automatic shop discount on Singletrack merchandise
- Access more members only content
Premier members get more
- Magazine content in print 6x/year post free
- App access to every new issue of Singletrack
- Ad free website
- Big discounts on shop merchandise
- Access downloads like GPX files, PDFs and even iBooks
- Full mag archive access to all Singletrack back issues
2019 Scott Ransom 900 Tuned Specifications
- Frame // HMX Carbon Fibre, 170mm Travel
- Fork // Fox 36 Float Factory FIT4, 170mm Travel w/3-Position TwinLoc Remote
- Shock // Fox NUDE TR EVOL w/3-Position TwinLoc Remote, 205x65mm
- Hubs // Syncros Revelstoke 1.5, 110x15mm Front & 148x12mm Rear
- Rims // Syncros Revelstoke 1.5, 28h, 30mm Internal Rim Width
- Tyres // Maxxis Minion DHF EXO 3C MaxxTerra 2.6in Wide
- Chainset // SRAM X01 Carbon Eagle GXP w/32t X-Sync 2 Chainring
- Rear Mech // SRAM X01 Eagle, 12-Speed
- Shifter // SRAM X01 Eagle, 12-Speed
- Cassette // SRAM X01 Eagle, 12-Speed, XG1295, 10-50t
- Brakes // SRAM Code RSC, 200mm Front & 180mm Rear Rotors
- Stem // Syncros Hixon iC Rise Carbon, 40mm Length
- Bar // Syncros Hixon iC Rise Carbon, 20mm Rise, 800mm Wide
- Grips // Ergon GE1 EVO Factory, Slim Diameter
- Seatpost // Fox Transfer, Kashima Coat, 31.6mm, 150mm Travel
- Saddle // Ergon SM Pro, S/M Size, TiNox Rails
- Size Tested // Medium
- Sizes Available // Small, Medium (tested), Large & X-Large
- Confirmed Weight // 13.67 kg (30 lbs – including tubeless tyre inserts)
- RRP // £6,999
|Product:||Ransom 900 Tuned|
|From:||Scott Sports, scott-sports.com|
|Tested:||by Wil Barrett for 3 months|