• This topic has 12 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by JAG.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Worming a dog – any vets on here?
  • dangriff
    Free Member

We’ve recently bought a 9 week old black labrador pup and the breeder recommended that “he’s due worming” (read: “he’s well overdue worming”).

Three consecutive doses of the worming paste later and his poo is full of worms – they appear dead, but every poo looks like spaghetti. How many days should it take for him to pass the lot? His first dose was on Friday evening and he’s still passing worms today.

He’s not our first dog, we’re experienced dog owners but have never let worms take hold before. We’ve always ensured our dogs are regularly treated.

andyl
    Free Member

Other half is a final year vet student.

She said what brand ‘paste’?

Any bloody in the poop?

Eating okay? Losing weight?

Milkie
    Free Member

As its only 9 weeks old and its been 4 days, take it to a vet, you don’t want to risk the puppies life.

Woody
    Free Member

What Milkie said.

Also any recommendations for wormers that actually work without costing the earth? My vet recommends worming every 3 months and the tablets he recommends are over £100 a year for my 2 black labs!

Drac

/chucks breakfast in bin.

andyl
    Free Member

The breeder should have made sure the dog was fully wormed.

It needs a puppy wormer eg Panacure which can be used up to 5 days but if still has worms then take it to the vet as it may need antibiotics to prevent gastroenteritis as you are now at 5 days.

Re. Woody – We use Milbemax for our springer every 3 months. How heavy are your labs to be needing that much?

andyl
    Free Member

dangriff – she also suggested plain (cooked) chicken and rice or plain (cooked) chicken crushed plain boiled potatoes as its tummy will be quite upset by the worms. Little bits often not a huge amount.

Woody
    Free Member

I’ll give Milbemax a try, cheers.

They are pretty much ideal weight for their size – bitch is 27kg, dog 30kg. I suspect I go to a very expensive vet!

andyl
    Free Member

Milbemax is 1 tablet for 5-25kg and 2 tablets 25-50kg so both of yours need 2 a times so that’s 16 a year.

RRP is about £4.30 so that’s just short of £69 a year. Shop around and you can get it down to about £55 a year. But as with human meds don’t buy dodgy ones!

We are lucky as we get 50% off everything due to being at the Uni so normal bills look expensive to us.

It’s worth keeping on top of worming and jabs though as the vets bills for any problems soon add up – eg lab work testing poop for infection is about £50 a pop (one test to diagnose and one to check its gone!).

dangriff
    Free Member

The puppy has been to the vet and has had a course of paste (can’t recall the name of paste, the box is at home). The vet was not concerned as the pup is fine, just still passing the dead worms. He’s certainly slimmed down from the bloated look he had to start with. Vet thinks he will take a few days to pass them all, as he probably had loads of them.

Milkie
    Free Member

Ahhh… Piece of mind. 😉

Woody
    Free Member

Glad the little chap is going to be fine.

They grow quickly 😀 Gratuitous pic of mine when they were a few months old

JAG

Good looking lads!

Glad to hear the pups doing better. We had a pup with worms when I was a kid – I felt so bad for him 🙁

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Worming a dog – any vets on here?’ is closed to new replies.