• This topic has 53 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by mrmo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Winter Mud Tyre
  • TractorFrog
    Free Member

Looking forward, the nights are getting darker and the terrain is getting wetter time for some good XC Mud tyres.

Short listed for this year are:

Maxxis Medusa 2.1 62a Exception

Bontrager Mud-X 2.0 (Dual Compound)

Specialized Storm Control 2.0 (Dual Compound)

Riding is done next to a river with LOTS of roots and (mostly night rides) so it gets super wet and sloppy, throw in some slippy bedrock and a road ride to get there and thats about it.

I have been running Medusas for the past 2 years, but wondering if the other two are going to be better with 120 TPI (High Volume, so lower pressures) and Dual Compound (softer on the side to the middle)

Anyone had experience of any of the above or can advise??

m_t_b
    Free Member

Mud x I was amazed by it last winter will not run anything else now. Cuts through mud and is rock steady on everything.

aviemoron
    Free Member

Raced on Bonty muds at the weekend on a muddy, rooty, off-camber, rocky, steep course – excellent. Hooked up on anything, able to brake/steer/climb everywhere, confidence inspiring and yet still fast enough on the fireroad section. I'm going to take them off and save them for the truly yeuch weather!

sheldona
    Free Member

Panaracer trailrakers are my tyre of choice for the winter, nothing else is as good ime. Well worth a look.

italspark
    Free Member

oi moron,
    the question was about winter tyres,
    dont you have a summer oooop north /

aviemoron
    Free Member

Er, it was sunny today, there was a nice day last month and I'm sure it was sunny for a couple of days in May or June. Snow on tops on Sunday. 🙂

TractorFrog
    Free Member

The Panaracer trailrakers also looks nice but with it only being 66TPI and having such marketing splurg as "ASB" and "ZSG" i'm lost already and on that note "I'm out"

So 2 votes for Bontrager Mud-x so far.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I ran a Maxxis Medusa last winter it was frikkin' awesome in the mud for sure.

I've got a LUST Medusa for this coming Winter

albino
    Free Member

Not ridden any of the others but I'd also recommend the Mud-X if you're riding in through a mix of mud/wet rock/roots/hardpack.
    If it's just mud you're riding through then there are probably better tyres.

Valleyboy
    Free Member

i find the trailrakers have a very narrow profile even the 2.0, also i've had 2 pairs of them and found they only last one winter, when i've refitted them for the winter the side walls have eroded with loads of holes in them.

househusband

I ran the Spesh Control on the rear over last winter, and won't hesitate to get another one when the time comes. Really grippy, more so than the Trailrakers – from what I recall having had them a few years ago.

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Run Mud X on the back all year round unless there is a period of at least 3 weeks dry weather – perfect compromise between decent grip for the mud we get round here and rollability on the 4 mile of road to get to the trail

TractorFrog
    Free Member

so more votes for the Mud-x

Doesn't the Mud-X get clogged up a bit when it get tacky?
    It seems to have less open space that the Maxxis Medusa which i would indicate it would??

retro83
    Free Member

Does anybody have any views on the Panaracer Fire Mud Pro 1.85?

edhornby

for the tightarses out there, the michelin XC/ATs are a tenner from one-one, they are skinny if you like that kinda thing but cut through and shed well; can get a bit washy if you start leaning over really hard, they dont have as many blocks on the edges as the maxxis or bontragers

I'm tempted to have a go with the bontys as well, the ones I have at the moment are for bone dry trails, so a really good choice for manchester….

timc
    Free Member

Only had the Mud X, great tyre

Is the medusa larger volume? also difference in price?

TractorFrog
    Free Member

Medusa is low volume, is slightly lighter and is coming in cheaper atm £20 via CRC

timc
    Free Member

2.1 medusa smaller than Mud X? comparitive to other Maxxis 2.1?

always get a swampy 2.35 on the front haha!

TractorFrog
    Free Member

Have Swampthings on my FR bike for Tractoring through almost anything 🙂 Def not a XC tyre when there in ST 2.35

timc
    Free Member

much difference between 70a & 62a?

spw3

Dunno about the Medusa. I ran 2.3 60a swampthings. Very good and surprisingly goidvon roots and rocks. I'll be running them again this winter.

flyingfox
    Free Member

like Schwalbe Black Sharks.

Zukemonster
    Free Member

Trailrakers are great, but are a PITA to run tubless.

so if not tubless run them, if you are tubless run bony Mud X's

The Mud X's also feel better on wet roots to me, but for full on mud (as the OP suggests then I don't think you can beat a Trailraker.

I've used a 2.0 Trailraker in the past, but would chose the narrower 1.8? on the rear if I was getting them again.

224rider
    Free Member

Cut down 2.2" Maxxis Wetscreams with a Super Tacky up front and a 60a on the rear..

Winner.

wee-al
    Free Member

Mud X, phenominal bit of kit! Thick mud is no problem, wet shiny roots and slimy slick rock are shown similar contempt.

I bought mine at a Merida marathon. We don't get mud up here (Caithness) like the hub deep gloop that was prevalent at the event and on the Saturday getting a sighter in, it was horendous. I thought there was no way i could ride in this stuff (on 2.1 fire xc). Got some mud x and ripped it apart. People could not believe where i was able to find traction.

Get some or get your head looked into. You might think they look or feel flimsy. I never punctured on them!

MikeWW
    Free Member

Agree re all positive comments re Mud X. Don't clog, plenty of grip and roll well.

schmiken

flyingfox – Member

like Schwalbe Black Sharks.

+1 in a 1.5" width.

z1ppy

Yet to be convinced that there anything better as an all-rounder than than the Mud-x, though I can't say I'm as convinced of there abilities on wet root as some above. The Trailrakers are better 'mud only' tyre but they're so much hard work everywhere else I'm not sure their worth it.

neil853
    Free Member

There was a brief mention of a swampthing, has anybody else tried them? I'm thing of 2.35 ST front and 60a rear rans tubeless?

Or do we still reckon Mud X are better? especially tubeless?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

IME, the mud X is the best 'winter all-rounder' second only to the mighty IRC Mud Mad (RIP). Trailrakers I found better in mud but less good on limestone and roots.

When it get really sticky, sometimes the mudX suffers from lack of grip since its knobs aren't really that high, so I use a swamp thing on the front. Outside of clay like areas (Epping Forest, Ridgeway, Mendips, etc…) that shouldn't be a problem though.

No experience of Medusa's though.

TractorFrog
    Free Member

Soo, i'm kinda leaning towards the Bontrager Mud-X with everyones recommendations. Hopefully it will out perform the Medusa in all areas.

DaveRambo

I bought a pair of 1.8 Medussas for Mayhem when I was convinced it was going to be hell – which it wasn't. I've been dying to try them out for ages and after all the recent rain I convinced myself to put them on the Yeti.

I can report good and bad things.

The 30m ride we did seemed to be mainly on the road going between various bridle paths and they seem very sticky and draggy compared to my usual crossmarks.

On/in the mud though they were amazing, didn't lose traction cut through and gripped like no tyre I've tried before.

They are coming off later on today but I can't wait for Winter and all that mud so I can use them again.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I don't think mud-X's will be better than Medusas in out and out mud.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

+1 for the Trailrakers. Very good in the gloop up here in Scotland, and I've never had a problem with roots or rocks with them. Current pair will be on their second wintere when I get around to putting them on

timc
    Free Member

Any advantage in having 62a over 70a in mud?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

70a will be a bit slippery on roots and rocks. It won't matter in the mud though.

DaveGr
    Free Member

Have run trailrakers for the last 5+ years – 1.95 come up small which is good as the frame doesn't clog up. Very good in mud but not too impressed with them on tarmac or roots (though the roots might be my riding style). Have run them with tubes and ghetto tubeless with no problems. Wear rate has been good as well. Might try Mud X as a better all round / faster rolling tyre next.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Never got on with Trailrakers, terrible on roots and rocks.

Ran some emergency purchase Mud Xs at 24/12, brilliant! Gained 15 mins a lap on the high rollers that came off. Seem to be good on roots and rocks too.

Northwind

Mud X is good… But tbh my usual rule is that if a bit of trail needs a mud tyre, I just avoid it, riding through it when it's that bad is a quick way to damage the trail. If a Nevegal can't shovel me through it I don't ride it. But, ymmv of course, not got a problem with anyone who does differently, it just might be worth bearing in mind.

Shandy
    Free Member

I used 2.1 Medusas all winter last year, they are great in muddy or soft conditions but they're a bit lethal on roots, I scared the sh!t out of myself a couple of times on fast descents. I might try and see how the Ignitors go this year or stick a Swampthing on the front. Mud X look worth a try though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Winter Mud Tyre’ is closed to new replies.