Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Who flys lhr-edinburgh ?
  • NZCol

I'm trying to sort out a flight from NZ – edi and quickly need to work out who flys lhr-edinburgh. Any know apart from BMI ?

RepacK
    Free Member

BA?

GJP
    Free Member

BA – circa 7 times a day during the week

Smee
    Free Member

BA & BMI and I think thats about it.

Are BMIbaby and FlyBMI the same lot or are they even still running?

NZCol

this is a nightmare $1200 nz for a flight lhr edinburgh

NZCol

ok talk to me about trains – whats the best way to book a train and it not cost me the 10k its just cost me in air tickets to get to the UK ?

My dad died last night hence the urgency, well sort of urgency 😉

jimmy

thetrainline.com

But its unlikely to be particularly cheap.

Sorry to hear about your old man.

porterclough
    Free Member

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Good tip normally is to search for singles each way rather than return and if you specify specific trains you can get a cheap price.

Of course you'll need to schlep around the tube from Paddington to Euston or Kings Cross which is a pain, or tube all the way from airport to Kings Cross.

Edit:
    Just found £52 one way on Saturday, 5 hours including tube, via website if you book particular train in advance. An open ticket will cost an a fortune.

jimmy
    RepacK
    Free Member

Ah mate sorry about yer Dad – condolences..

Try this:
    train clicky

Ive never used it but best of luck!

geetee1972
    Free Member

You're not seriously thinking about going from London Heathrow to Edinburgh by train are you? That would be a nightmare journey. Either you pay at least £17 to go to central London or it takes an hour by tube. Then another £4 or £5 to get the tube across London, then you train ticket could easily end up being as much or more than the air fare, plus it takes something like 4 hours.

You would be as well to transfer to Gatwick from Heathrow. That's not pleasant but it gives you more options. Cost is around £17, journey time is around 50 minutes outside rush hour.

NZCol

who flys from gatwick to edi ?
    I'm seriously considering any options i can right now !

geoffj

NZCol

From LHR, Heathrow express to Paddington and then tube to Kingscross, East Coast main line to Edinburgh
    If money is tight, the piccadilly line to KX from LHR is not that much slower and quite a bit cheaper.

Advance singles – KX to Edinburgh for around £50.

http://www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com/

And try opodo for cheaper flights – LHR-EDI singles from less than £100 depending on time.

geetee1972
    Free Member

BA fly Gatwick to Edinburgh. You may even get my wife flying the plane!

Stu_N

condolences

Do you actually need to go via Heathrow?

Often seems to be cheaper to go via one of the other euro hubs – Amsterdam (KLM), Paris (Air France), Frankfurt (Lufthansa) all have a decent connection to Edinburgh. Also check out prices to Glasgow as well, both for the European hubs and going via middle east or US (e.g. Emirates do a Glasgow – Dubai which hooks into the Oceania network).

Good luck with getting something sorted.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Sorry to hear about your dad. Have you tried Cheap Flight Checker

skidartist
    Free Member

Try the websites for the airports themselves they'll have a list of all the destinations they connect to and the airlines that fly them. Prob best to work backwards – go to Edinburgh Airport's website and see who is flying to the various London airports.

andybach
    Free Member

Easyjet and BMI (i think) fly Ed to Gatwick fairly regularly – Weekend flights usually fairly cheap –

I do the trip fairly regularly – if you do the train the Sleeper option is worth considering £110 ish one way – not too bad. and saves a hotel room.
    http://www.scotrail.co.uk/caledoniansleeper/index.html
    Normal train is expensive and 5 hrs plus.

Sorry to hear about your dad.

scuttler

Bummer for you and your family. Condolences.

East Coast mainline from Kings X to Edinburgh is as pleasant a way as any to get there once you get past York (no offence Stevenage residents). http://www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com/ for times and costs but don't expect to pay on the spot as it'll cost more than the flight from NZ. Flightwise, http://www.skyscanner.net is useful for getting the best price.

NZCol

Thanks for all the help – pretty much sorted no thanks to Air New Zealand – 44 minutes on hold and then they hang up on me. Cheers. Fly in and out of LHR, BMI to EDI on way and we'll deal wiht the rtn some other way ! Emirates etc were all options as i fly them quite a lot, i'm no stranger to the nz-ldn bit , it was the edi options that were the problem. It wasn;t cheap but then its family and that has no price on it really 🙂

Toddboy
    Free Member

NZCol – sorry to hear your loss.

I'm currently checkin a similar route back to Newcastle. I normally fly with Emirates from Brisbane-Dubai-Newcastle, but Japan Airlines have a sale on and so I have booked with them. Flying Brisbane-Tokyo-Heathrow. Just have to arrange flights from Heathrow-Newcastle, looking like it's going to be BA.

Do Emirates not fly into Edinburgh, if not you could have flown to Newcastle and then either fly/take train/drive to Edinburgh.

Sounds like you have it sorted though.

NZCol

Emirates fly to Gla, Man and New so yeah we could have taken one of those flights in theory however they were a PITA at the NZ end with a 7hr delay then a 10hr delay on the way back. I've flown that way 4 times now. We wanted to use AirNZ for airpoints as well as we're lashing out on good flights so wanted airmiles we can actually use in NZ 🙂 And we get upgrades as well so can arrive slightyl less battered by getting a premium econ upgrade. The positive side effect is we managed to work in a 7hr break in San Fran where we can go for lunch with my 2 nieces and nephews and sis in law which is a double good one 🙂

kevonakona
    Free Member

Just to throw another idea in the pot how about getting to London city (Would be easier than all the way to Gatwick) for BA Cityflyer and my missus could sort you out with enough G&T to sink a battleship :D.

NZCol

Hey all thanks for all your help, am safely installed back in NZ now after probably the worst week of my life 🙁

Anyhoo, after swapping one internal organ for a lhr-edi flight with BMI i took the train back down to Kings X which was a revelation. Booked 1st class because i felt i deserved it and at 80 quid seemed a good deal. Slightly surreal battering through the countryside while having a conversation on Skype with someone in Singapore ! I think I am becoming a hillbilly from living in NZ too long !

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Who flys lhr-edinburgh ?’ is closed to new replies.