Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • who else has manflu and bad chest?
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Had manflu and a hacking cough since Christmas eve.. who else is suffering?
    How long should I wait till its gone before jumping on the bike?
    Like an 8 year old I just went and sat on it in the shed as I bought myself a new cube HT for Xmas and its only been for a quick spin which resulting in me coughing up half a lung.

bruneep

MTFU,

Have the very same with blocked sinuses for about 2 wks now, just get out and pootle about.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Mine lasted a month and I ended up on prednisolone for bronchitis.

As a general rule, gentle exercise with a cold (nasal symptoms) is ok, chest infection=rest, cold air can further inflame the airways aggravating the cough and in the VERY worse case you could develop Myocarditis (Inflammation of the muscular wall of the heart caused by a viral or bacterial infection); the risk of having myocarditis increases if the body is subjected to physical exertion when a viral infection is present

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    knottie8
    Free Member

me too , aint ridden my bike for three weekends ! Infact not realy been out the house either for a few days due to this flippin’ cold.

##edit## looks like I better stay off the bike till the cough goes then.

amt27
    Free Member

cold started exactly the same time as i finished work for 2 weeks (weds before xmas), took all xmas off the bike to try and shift it, but had to do something and went out on the tues for a 55 miler (this hurt but helped to move it on), was out on weds and thurs also,
    now have a morning routine of coughing up lots of flem, lovely,

smell_it
    Free Member

Yep, 3 weeks of snivelling, aches and a hacking cough. It’s made me feel and sound like an old, I’ve no car so stuck with the daily cycle commute but no fun riding.

darrell
    Free Member

got a middle ear infection instead

2 months and counting

🙁

neninja
    Free Member

Try First Defense nasal spray. I’ve been around lots of family members and friends loaded with colds over the last few weeks and it works wonders.

Had a the beginnings of a cold a couple of times but it’s knocked it on the head in less than a day each time.

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Yup, been blocked and flemy for couple weeks,still riding but blowing allsorts out of nose whilst riding.
    Yuk.

ahwiles
    Free Member

my girlfriend has ‘girl-flu’…

it looks bad.

Fletcher
    Free Member

I do. Shame as I planned on going on my bike today.

honourablegeorge

Was supposed to be out on the bike today, but three mates pulled out due to the flu.

I can’t criticise too much, had a fortnight of it myself before Xmas.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Had mine since boxing day – feeling rubbish but feels like its coming to its natural end.

B

trailertrash

I have a chest infection and will not be exercising until better. Ignored this in 2005 and ended up in hospital with pericarditis – inflammation of the membrane around the heart. Painful , dangerous etc

TiRed

Two weeks off so far. Caught returning from US. Cold then LRTI. Just getting over it. Swinley tomorrow, commuting Weds 🙂 . Do not be tempted to exercise through it. Have also MTFU’d after proper swine flu, and that was not a great result.

marka.
    Free Member

Started feeling dodgy on the 19th. Fully ill on the 21st, so didn’t get back into the office before the Christmas holiday. Only now beginning to feel normal again, so Christmas and New Year has been pretty rubbish for me this year.

The most annoying thing is that it kept constantly changing, so just when you think you’re getting better something else comes along and clobbers you instead. I’ve had cold, cough, bad chest (I have asthma so I’ve got to be very careful), sore throat, aches, pains…

Rubbish.

Weasel
    Free Member

I finally went to the doctor In November after I’d had a cold/cough on and off for 3 months, I had an upper respetory tract infection, was prescribed some antibiotics that cleared 80% of it, and looking back should have gone back to the quack to get some more tablets.

Although I still seem to have ongoing sniffles, enflamed tonsils etc.

I was completely run down over xmas even after sleeping 10hrs every night, hardly touched the booze etc.

Hopefully I will pull through.

MarkN
    Free Member

8 weeks of chest infection/cough. Constant coughing and then either struggling for breath or retching. Antibiotics have not touched it. Still have a bit of cough but have just started back out for slow gentle rides.

It seems there is some nasty stuff kicking around at the moment.

Trekster

Being an asthmatic I am putting my current chest condition down to the increase in people fitting wood burners and/or opening up old chimneys/fires!!!!
    Town has been a smokeless/smoke free area for years when it was legislated and most people turned to gas.
    Now it is fashionable to burn wood again 🙄
    So much for air pollution targets and health:roll:
    Ended up cutting yesterdays ride short after inhalling smoke from a house in the forest which was bellowing smoke from 2 sources 👿

MarkN
    Free Member

It could just be the holiday season Trekster. Family and friends round so they get the old fireplace going for that Xmas feeling. Hope you feel better and get back out soon.

jamiec360
    Free Member

My mrs is having her usual new years bout of it, kept me awake for the last 4 nights, beautiful day here and I’m too bloody knackered to go out…

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Manflu here since New Year’s Eve. Head cold and sore throat. Hopefully it won’t move to the chest.

Lovely day here today, gutted.

Duggan

Checking in 🙁

Had a cold for a while now- just as my girlfriends parents came back from Cyprus unexpectedly to stay with us for a week in our tiny two bed flat over the holidays 🙄 No problem I thought, I’ll just go out on my bike…and then I started to feel like shit.

Not sure about the ‘mtfu’ comments- I mean if I really had to go out on my bike I could, but it seems to me if you’re not well than you’re only putting unneccesary strain on your body and diverting energy away from actually recovering. Not sure how good exercise can actually be for you if you’re not well?

Having said that, I don’t think going out til 9am on NYE helped much.

trevh
    Free Member

sore throat and chest infection for 2 weeks now and coughed up blood this morning not been to docs yet will try to get in this week new bike pipedream 2 months old an not used it properley yet due to some ailment or other. realy peed off back to work tomorow a good xmas but crap health an no booze.

CarlThomas
    Free Member

Had man flu for a month that turned to double-bubble bronchitis…I had thought I had suffered from a chest infection before, but nothing like this.

Northwind

I’ve almost kicked mine… Broke ribs in early december, got chest infection in mid december, got smoke inhalation in late december. Been on bike 3 times in a month 🙁

fandango
    Free Member

Yep, no action for a month. A combination of work, various colds (from my toddler), an overseas trip and then laryngitis last week. Hoping to venture out this evening for a shortish night ride… fingers crossed!

marka.
    Free Member

Well this has made me feel better. It’s rubbish that so many of us are ill, but it’s nice to know that you’re not the only one who’s felt crap for so long and who hasn’t touched a bike in weeks.

gingerflash

I’ve had a nasty cough for about a week ut had daily headaches for 5 weeks prior to that. Getting prety fed up with it all.

MrsFlash and TeddyFlash are both poorly too.

Riksbar

I seem to be going through a cycle of about 12 symptoms from collection of about 20 at any one time. 3 or 4 will go away making me think I’m recovering, and another 3 or 4 different ones will pile in, stick two fingers up and take up achey phlegmy residence for a few days 👿 Mrs rb is worse and the kids could really do with not blowing raspberries in our faces when they have colds. Eldest is back to school today so bracing for a whole new lot.

Alphabet

I’ve had it since boxing day. The manflu has receded but the cough is getting worse. Kept waking myself up last night through coughing.

nbt

Started on NYE, gone down to my chest today. Still in work, of course

888trojan888
    Free Member

I had a cold at the beginning on November which left me with a cough. I just drank a can of MTFU and carried on out on the MTB in the cold and wet.

This cough progressively got worse through November into December and i just ignored it and i was also hacking up all sorts of gunge.

The week before xmas i started feel a bit rough but never the less i went out on a christmas ride with my club and had a few beers that night.

My girlfriend was woken up the follow morning by what she described as the sound of a bubbling coffee machine. It was my chest bubbling as i breathed when i was a sleep. My girlfriend carted me off to the drs kicking and screaming and turns out i had the beginnings of walking pneumonia. Im now on my 3rd course of antiboitcs and have been sat on my arse feeling very rough all xmas feeling very frustrated with my riding plans out of the window.

Moral of the story is…….if you have a bad chest……dont ride!!!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Dude – you should listen to your body – my mate is currently 3 weeks into a stay in Intensive care in an induced coma due to carrying on regardless while having pneumonia!!

granny_ring

Yes I have for the last few days and it’s not getting any better so will be around for a while I think

skywalker
    Free Member

Yep, nearly got rid of it now though, but its lingering.

Dude – you should listen to your body – my mate is currently 3 weeks into a stay in Intensive care in an induced coma due to carrying on regardless while having pneumonia!!

Thats not a good start to the new year, hope he gets better.

smurf
    Free Member

Shame to read about so many people suffering but I’d definately agree with the “rest up” comments.

We had another daughter last Dec (2010) making 2 kids under 3 and that practically stopped me riding anything other than to the shops (I was either too busy, too tired, ill, at work, or all of the above).

Just as the hardest / first 6 months was behind us and I was getting more sleep etc, I got flu. A few days later we went on a family holiday in Portugal. Where the flu became pneumonia.

We went with my brother and sister in law (both doctors) and they realised something was up pretty quickly – I was breathing pretty hard just watching TV, hitting 39C temperatures etc! Never have I been so keen to get home.

I was in hospital within a few hours of getting home, given some IV antibiotics and lots of pills to take.

Within 2 – 3 weeks I was feeling normal, when another cold led to another dose of “monia”. My 3 year old asked this time if she could help by taking my monia out with a stick she was holding at the time 🙂

Lots of extra sleep and no exercise at all meant I got better and a recent medical gave my lungs and general health the all clear. I then got another cold over Christmas.

I’ve used my mojo for about 3 hours in 2011 🙁 Here’s to a better 2012!

tomhoward

I don’t have manflu, as if I did, it would kill me (more deadly than being shot. FACT) I do however have avian flu, swine flu, mrsa, TB and migraine. All together. But I don’t want to make a fuss…

2-sevens-clash
    Free Member

it hung on to me for 5 weeks – finally visited quack who gave me some steroid pills which did a miraculous overnight fix. I think it was the same prednisolone as mentioned earlier..

chalkstorm
    Free Member

6 weeks here – had a course of anti-Bs before Xmas for the now chest infection -didn’t make an ounce of difference.

Can’t even run up the stairs without inducing a coughing fit. Getting pretty p1ssed off with it all now (1 road ride 4 weeks ago – nothing over Xmas).

Seems to be getting worse if anything (chest/back/neck pain when coughing). Zero energy levels, knackered but can’t seem to sleep.

Having read some of the posts above I’ve made another appointment with the doc….

😥

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘who else has manflu and bad chest?’ is closed to new replies.