Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Which rear hub for a QUIET ride?
  • MaryHinge
    Free Member

I've ended up with Hope ProII hubs on all my bikes, for a variety of reasons. Partly though due to the value, reliability and ease of maintenance.

But the loud clicky rear does annoy me.

I've had Shimano hubs in the past and the silence was golden, but they required constant maintenance when ridden frequently in the Peaks.

So….are there any quiet rear hubs, that are comparable to Hopes on price/reliability/ease and lack of maintenance?

oxnop
    Free Member

I've got ex1750 wheels on my bike, the hubs are basically the same as the dt Swiss 240 hub- the rachet mech sounds lovely and much less annoying than the GF's pro 2's.

taxi25
    Free Member

I've got an american classic hub. Totally silent.

wonnyj
    Free Member

I'm on mavic crossmaxs which are pretty quiet and reliable.

mboy
    Free Member

Shimano XTR will have much better sealing and reliability than anything lower down the range… Not cheap for sure, but comparable with your Pro 2 rear I suspect on price.

Or if you want total silence, reliability and ease of use, but don't mind gaining a bit of weight, there's always the Shimano Alfine IGH hub… 😉

igm

The Syncros wheels I just got are quiet – whether they are good time will tell.

njee20
    Free Member

240s are quiet, but can get noisy when the grease has dispersed a bit, it's a nice noise though, nothing like Pro IIs!

They'd get my vote.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

XT hubs are silent and seem pretty good maintenance wise…nothing major apart from a quick re-grease every 3 months or so.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

As maverickboy says – the alfine is uncannily quiet.

Freewheel
    Free Member

My XTR is nice and quiet. Gets average mileage if that statement makes any sense at all. 3 yrs old, no maintenance yet and spinning nicely, maybe the seals are better than the cheaper hubs.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Shimano roller clutch hub (if you can find one anywhere).

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Makes a replacement just to get a bit of peace and quiet quite expensive!

I've been thinking of an Alfine for my next build, which will be a commute/occasional MTB/spare/parts tester bike.

Northwind

DT 240S is pretty quiet. And hellishly expensive. But even the noise they do make isn't as intrusive as some, which makes a big difference.

No idea how anyone could say XT is silent, nothing like it… But not too bad. And cheap of course. If XT had an alloy freehub body like Pro 2 it'd weigh barely any more, funnily enough.

psychle
    Free Member

I've always been interested in one of these stealth hubs from True Precision… not cheap at USD$425 for a rear though…

tails
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking if you put loads of grease in a pro 2 it will be a bit quieter?

spooky_b329

Grease will quieten it down but its only a short term fix. I've wondered if I can dampen my Pro II's racket by wrapping the hub in tape to try and deaden the noise a bit.

My gf has an XT wheelset with M775 rear hub, thats quiet, so are my older XT hubs, M770?

igm

Fill it with expanding foam?

cinnamon_girl

It's other folk that have the problem with Hope hubs. I like them, have them on 3 bikes, but then my hearing is shot to pieces 🙄

LordOnOne
    Free Member

There are 3 roller clutches in the Alfine…totally silent unless you count the slight clicking noise while pedaling backwards.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Which rear hub for a QUIET ride?’ is closed to new replies.