• This topic has 1,316 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 1,317 total)
  • Which power meter – Stages or Power2Max?
  • eskay

Just to clarify, my problems are with a G1. I believe the redesigned G2 housing addressed weaknesses in the housing design.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Who said the mk2 casing addresses the issue eskay? (Since your earlier post which said they hadn’t addressed the issue)

I don’t quite understand how the first battery can last 2-3 months and then it deteriorates so rapidly. You have to remove the plastic tab from under the battery cover when you first get them so its not like you haven’t already broken any factory seal from the moment you first use them. They should be as water proof with the second battery as with the first?

And I haven’t seen any evidence of water ingress in mine despite taking precautions to dry them out.

If it is a water ingress issue, then I can’t believe that every single unit that has been out in British weather hasn’t been returned. Are they fit for purpose in British conditions?

Its just a bit annoying to be without it.

rossp
    Free Member

Anyone had a g1 replaced recently under warranty? Just wondering if they are likely to replace with a g2 unit or a new g1?

nammynake
    Free Member

Yes my gen 1 was replaced with gen 2 a few weeks ago.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve got my G1 in at the shop now, so I’ll see what happens…..

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Is the consensus that you should steer clear of the Stages for your mountain bike?

I’ve got an SRAM X9 Stages that has never caused me issues, although its not actually turned a pedal since April 2015, i should really check its ok, bought in March 2014

njee20
    Free Member

Haha! So it was fine for at least a month. Not convinced it’s a long term review 😉

dirtyrider
    Free Member

in before the edit window 😀

quick look at veloviewer says i did about 2500-3000km on that bike in that time frame, not a huge amount i guess, but apart from the odd flat battery, no issues,

mtbtomo
    Free Member

In wet weather dirtyrider?

eskay

mtbtomo – Member

Who said the mk2 casing addresses the issue eskay? (Since your earlier post which said they hadn’t addressed the issue)

Apologies, I think my earlier post was unclear.

What I was trying to say was that there was clearly a flaw in the original plastics and that is why the G2 is identical in every way except for the plastic housing (meaning that the technology is sound but the enclosure on G1 was not).

There is a reference on the Stages website when suffering battery problems to check for water ingress, so it must be a know problem.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

In wet weather dirtyrider?

quite a lot yer, including wet peaks rides when even if its dry you still get rivers running down some trails, 2015 NPS at Sherwood was particularly wet, i jet wash it occasionally of course i don’t point it at the cranks,

bikes kept inside the house though so its never cold/damp for long periods, do wonder if this makes a difference

DT78
    Free Member

So my newer stages was dead when I tried to use it today. Total of 28hrs use, last month / 7 hours have been indoors so no ingress possible. No warning message about getting low as per my older one on the best bike. New battery and garmin picks it up fine.

Quite grumpy. Should I be talking to their warranty dept? That’s not even vaguely close to 200hrs. Going to work out other units hours now.

DT78
    Free Member

31.5hrs use on the 4 month old unit which is warning of low battery, and 28hrs on the newer 2 month old unit. Not good really is it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hmm no. I think I change the battery on my old Powertap hub on the turbo bike maybe once a year if that. Vector pedal batteries seem to last well too, at least 6 months. They get about 10 hours use a week across the two.

njee20
    Free Member

So I’ve ordered some P1s, should be here in the next week or two. See how battery life is on those!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Big proper batteries in them! Be interesting to see how they last.

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah definitely. I don’t think claimed life is anything special, as I recall. Will probably use rechargeables for convenience, so likely sacrifice a bit of life anyway.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

P1’s claim about 60 hours. But at least it looks like the battery cover is substantial and designed to be removed.

The Stages cover uses plastic tabs and every time I have to remove it, I’m fearful I’ll damage it.

I’d be pleased to get even 60 hours regularly out of my Stages! With 4 replacements in about a year of ownership, at what point can I claim “not fit for purpose” and get my money back?

adsh
    Free Member

What is the warranty period on Stages?

Haze

Anyone know if the G2 Stages changes the negative terminal at all, or presses the battery firmer against it?

eskay

From what I have read, the pcb is the same. Anyone able to confirm that? The battery pick up on the pcb is a bit flimsy on the G1.

I think good quality genuine (there are a lot of fakes around) batteries may improve run time.

schmiken

My G1 has gone back today with battery issues. Fingers crossed the G2 will be better.

DT78
    Free Member

Dumb question (as I can’t remember) were the stages shipped with an original battery?

And for those getting greater than 30hrs what batteries are they using? What are reputable and where to buy (heard of amazon fakes)

I’ve been using Panasonic which I bought as a multipack from amazon…

eskay

They were shipped with a battery but I do not know what make.

A colleague who had his several months before me has found Duracell to be the best.

I order a two cell pack from Amazon for about £3.50, there were pack of 10 on there for less (which I assume to be suspect). Having said that, my PM was on its last legs and the Duracell only lasted 24hrs!).

I made sure that the order was directly from Amazon and not a reseller fulfilled by Amazon. If I had not been ordering something else I would have gone to my local Maplin and bought a battery that I could trust. It seems crazy to stick a dodgy 50p cell in a piece of kit that cost £400+.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Mine shipped with an Energizer battery

I always use Duracell off the shelf from Tescos

DT78
    Free Member

Reason I asked was the one I removed from my dead stages was a Panasonic, looked exactly the same as my spares, I would have installed whatever battery came with it, so mine was shipped with a Panasonic. Good news is, it was still working this lunchtime will see how long this one last.

Next I’ll try the most expensive one I can find in a supermarket and see how long it lasts.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

I’ve just started using my G2 ultegra outside as my other G1 seems to have died (it is over 2yrs old & never had a problem with it). I have been using G2 indoors for a few months and they do seem like a different beast to G1’s . If I go anywhere near a G2 with my Garmin turned on it picks it up immediately & it seems to switch itself off if I don’t start peddling within about 5 mins, this never ever happened with a G1. The battery door on a G2 is completely different the battery fits into the cover first as opposed to the unit which is what u did with G1’s.

Trying a hard reset in my G1 to see if I can get some life back in it.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

[edit] My G1 that I thought was dead has come back to to life, done a hard reset new battery new cover new O ring & it paired up immediately. Firmware up to date & calibration all good, let’s see how long it lasts :-/ ??

mtbtomo
    Free Member

All the ones I’ve had have come with a Panasonic battery. The shop gave me a Duracell one to try, and I’ve had Energizer batteries from the supermarket, Duracell, Panasonic, Maxell from the web and also batteries from the pound shop. Seems the Energizer ones and sometimes the pound shop batteries lasted the best. The Duracell ones seem to have consistently been worst, a single session out of them across most of the different replacements I’ve had.

On the replacement I had before this one, I was sent a couple of new battery covers to try – since battery covers out of tolerance was cited as a possible problem. Before I took this last one back, I thought I’d try one of these replacement covers. It wouldn’t even close – it was too tight. This was supposed to be an in-tolerance cover.

njee20
    Free Member

They really do sound pretty shit. Which is a shame.

eskay

It wouldn’t even close – it was too tight. This was supposed to be an in-tolerance cover.

The door on mine was very tight, I had to use a tool to rotate the door.

Haze

Cover was tight on mine too, assumed it was supposed to be that way but a bit of a pain when you have to reseat the battery every other use!

dirtyrider
    Free Member
    mrblobby
    Free Member

A pretty good discount on a set of P1’s. I got my C1 for less than the discount price (though they have gone back to Paligap now.)

gray

What went wrong with the C1?

I can’t see the trade-in price here – P1 showing as 999 reduced to 999… could be my phone being weird. How much are they going for?

gray

Ah I see – it’s listed in the form. 799 isn’t bad. Shame I don’t have something knackered and old to trade in! Most would be worth more than 200 anyway I’d have thought. Might get some in the US in the summer. Won’t be needing anything until next autumn, and prices may have dipped a bit more by then anyway.

mrblobby
    Free Member

What went wrong with the C1?

Over-reading out of the box by about 20 watts compared to my other 3 PM’s. Sent back to Sigma to send back to Paligap for a checkup.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

My G1 stages that was showing all the death signs still alive 🙂 TBH I’ve only had a problem with 1 stages road crank, it’s an XTR one that has been poor for me but that has now be warrantied to a G2 & should weather permitting see its first outing at Gorrick this weekend. If it’s a shit fest I’m on the single speed though 🙂

mtbtomo
    Free Member

So I’ve just had a G2 version to replace the G1. They don’t make the G1 any more – not that I’d want one!

Anyway I think I’m going to perhaps clear shrink wrap the crank arm except for the mounting points, just as an extra layer of defence against moisture. And visible too if any moisture gets trapped. The battery lid still uses a mega fine o-ring but the casing is indeed different. Whether it makes any difference or not remains to be seen…..

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Quarq Riken R at Planet X for £450 with discount code if anyone fancies a cheap reliable PM.

Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 1,317 total)

The topic ‘Which power meter – Stages or Power2Max?’ is closed to new replies.