• This topic has 1,316 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 1,317 total)
  • Which power meter – Stages or Power2Max?
  • njee20
    Free Member

Track bike uses different BB and cranks (square taper) to the road bikes, and of course they are shorter. Swapping the Stages is very quick as the pedal stays put.

But why couldn’t you do the same with a Vector? Just swap LH pedal and crank?

njee20
    Free Member

big reduction in Quarq prices 19%

Pioneer pricing looks interesting too – $999 for a proper dual sided power meter isn’t bad.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

What’s the “UK tax” though?

mrblobby
    Free Member

You can already buy a Quark Riken for 720 quid. Proper dual sided and all that. It is a tempting price.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I dont think the Pioneer one is available in the UK (you need to send your crankset off for them to fit it).

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’m on my second Stages….batteries died overnight on the first one.

Second one, the first two batteries only lasted a week each. These were proper Duracell batteries. Then I put some cheapo “10 batteries for a pound” battery in there and touch wood, its lasted 3 weeks and still going.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

You can already buy a Quark Riken for 720 quid. Proper dual sided and all that. It is a tempting price.

Hmmm, P2M Rotor 24 for ~£820, I’d personally prefer the P2M, known quantity for me and I like the look of the Rotor’s.

njee20
    Free Member

They’re not though are they, they’re using an assumed L/R split, not actually recording both sides.

I dont think the Pioneer one is available in the UK (you need to send your crankset off for them to fit it).

Anything to stop you sending a chainset to the US…?

I’d personally prefer the P2M, known quantity for me and I like the look of the Rotor’s.

Quarq have been around a lot longer than P2M though.

TiRed

But why couldn’t you do the same with a Vector? Just swap LH pedal and crank?

Though it was obvious; track bike has crank a cm shorter and is square taper. So I would have to move the only pedals from the road bikes (which are Shimano Hollowtech) to the track bike. If I just had to switch cranks, which I do for the Stages from race bike to nice bike to rider I coach’s bike, this wouldn’t be a problem. I just don’t want to keep torquing the pedals.

After using a power meter for a couple of years, I’ve come to like heart rate monitors more!

njee20
    Free Member

But you’re saying Stages is better than Vector because you can swap Stages quickly, and yet you can do just the same with Vectors, and you can at least fit the Vectors to the track bike if you do want to torque them up… 😕

Seems an entirely moot point. Or am I missing something?

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

4iiii lives!!!
    Not mine though.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Interesting. Quite similar to this Ashton one dcrainmaker was having a look at the other day, in that it’s in the axle, though different way of measuring power.

Ooh, Power2Max also dropping all their prices by 21% (here).

c_klein87

yay just after i’ve bought my power2max 🙄

mrblobby
    Free Member

yay just after i’ve bought my power2max

Ouch. I was hovering over the buy button the other day! Not sure if this is UK or US prices though, dcrainmaker is only quoting dollar prices. Had a quick look at the p2m website today and they don’t seem any cheaper. Should be about 100 euro cheaper if they follow US prices.

Edit… having actually read the article 😀 It looks like it’ll be US prices only as the driver is the change in US/Euro rates. Now a bit cheaper in the US than Europe by the looks of it.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Ooh, Power2Max also dropping all their prices by 21% (here).

Awesomez!! (Or not really ‘cos I’m skint…) I really want a PM for the XC bike, I just like the numbers!!

They did this last time though, slashed the U.S. prices but **** the rest of us Euros over, obviously, why wouldn’t you.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

interesting option

I’m sure it’ll work eventually, after what, 17000 SW updates? Isn’t it ironic how Rotor chose to work with the SW update masters Garmin in le world tour…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Available for £699 here. Not too bad. Assume it’ll be a bit cheaper from the Germans too.

njee20
    Free Member

The Pioneer at $999 seems a bargain! The pricing volatility on these is a real barrier to purchase though – we’re seeing everyone slashing prices, I’d be really worried to buy anything unless it had just been (significantly) reduced!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Pioneer, where can you actually get them from?

njee20
    Free Member

Only the US I think…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ah, some Euro retailers here. Wonder what the 999 includes? Sounds like you provide your own cranks and retailer installs?

njee20
    Free Member

Aye, think that’s right, and it’ll work with 9000 or 6800 cranks.

I’d not realised that it doesn’t really send much data via ANT+ though, and their head unit doesn’t look all that.

Still currently the cheapest system to really measure both sides though I think, if such things bother you…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Still currently the cheapest system to really measure both sides though I think, if such things bother you…

Well, to be able to display accurately both sides independently anyway 🙂

I do wonder what use that is though. I know I’m roughly 46/54 for most of my riding based on comparing data from Vector S, PowerTap and P2M. Not sure what I can do with that information though! Don’t think there’s much benefit in trying to somehow even out that imbalance, I think that’s just the way people are.

Must check out the new Garmin Pedalling Dynamics stuff to see if there’s anything there that would justify getting the RHS pedal.

adsh
    Free Member

Why don’t P2M do an Stype for shimano MTB 🙁

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I’m 52/48, weirdly it seems worse when I’m fresh than when I’m tired. Would have thought it’d be the other way around. Also I’m left foot forward on the mtb so I’d have also though my right would be slightly stronger from riding a lot of DH way back when as more weight goes through it. I get the feeling my imbalance is due to shady knees, right is definitely less robust.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Why don’t P2M do an Stype for shimano MTB

Shimano don’t do any cranks with a removable spider, they’d either have to deal directly with Shimano (like SRM) to get a spider less crankset or machine it off somehow. Rotors are pretty decent IMO. I’d def buy another pair and considered a standard Rex until I noted the proprietary BCD.

TiRed

Nick, I know a clubmate who broke two pods torquing them. I think swapping crank and pedal is the fastest option for me.

At the moment the Stages is on loan to a rider I coach. I’m not really missing it to be honest. I do like to keep a close eye on cadence though, and most of my riding is done fixed.

4iii is too expensive for what it is. £300, i’d buy three.

njee20
    Free Member

$399? £267? Yes ok fees and that on top, but seems cheap to me. Or do you mean double sided? It’s a shame they’ve been beset with all the shipping problems, particularly over something so trivial. I still think it’s got a lot of potential. A lot of grumpy people on their FB page though it must be said!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Said much the same earlier in this thread I think. But in reality I’d probably just be complaining that it wasn’t 200 quid 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Not sure why it’s overpriced at virtually 1/3 the cost of a Stages?

mrblobby
    Free Member

You get half a crankset with a stages too 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

And this hour’s power meter news… Garmin Vector 2 released, same price, new pods. Wonder if we’ll see any discounts on the ‘old’ one – considering it’s basically the same unit I’d definitely have a pair!

You get half a crankset with a stages too

Hardly a selling point when you can’t (economically) buy the other half though!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hardly warrants a “2”! Not sure why they bothered really. Status LED’s could come in handy I guess. Dark colour makes them a bit more discreet I suppose.

Hardly a selling point when you can’t (economically) buy the other half though!

It is a shame they don’t give you the option to fit to your cranks (even if you had to send them in) or sell the entire crankset. Though I think that’s been done many times on this thread already!

njee20
    Free Member

It is a shame they don’t give you the option to fit to your cranks (even if you had to send them in) or sell the entire crankset. Though I think that’s been done many times on this thread already!

What, you mean like 4iiii does for 1/3 the price 😉

You’re right, we’re definitely going over old ground! Hardly a surprise after 12 pages!

Agree it’s not worthy of the ‘2’ moniker, but if anyone discounts the original ones it could be a result. Not convinced it’ll happen though.

njee20
    Free Member

Actually, looking at the Madison site they may be doing a cheeky discount on the original ones, or they’re at least now showing proper tiered trade prices. 2s listed, but no date. Still £1200 retail.

barrykellett
    Free Member

after 12 pages, I have some new ground for you all…
    Always used a powertap Pro+. Always happy with the data. When the torque tube went, you were under no illusion something was up.

Ended up getting a G3 wheel on the replacement scheme. Fair enough. If it lasts the same length of time I will be happy enough with the outlay for that amount of training time. Everything in life seems to be a consumable now anyway.

BUT

after 4 weeks riding the new wheel, the calibration number started dropping. It was always well within the 512 +/- 12 for those first few weeks until sundays ride where it was 480. Recalibrated several times mid ride and it dropped into the 470’s and then the 460’s

Eventually it settled on 448

It is away back and the support has been good.

but the point of this story is that I have been told NOT to calibrate and auto zero the hub using my Garmin Edge 500, it interferes with the hubs slope. WTF is that all about?

How am I meant to calibrate the thing or check the zero offset before a ride unless I shell out and buy a Joule?

Anyone else had this?

adsh
    Free Member

So there are no 24mm axle crankset power meters? P2M 30mm, Rotor 30mm, Quark 30mm. I now remember why Stages was so attractive even if it does require a precautionary battery change before every important event…….

mrblobby
    Free Member

Can you no longer get a P2M with the Rotor 3D24 crankset? That’s what I got last year.

Edit… yes you can.

njee20
    Free Member

So there are no 24mm axle crankset power meters?

You can get Quarqs in GXP too, plus SRM. So yes, everything except Rotor is available in 24mm!

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 1,317 total)

The topic ‘Which power meter – Stages or Power2Max?’ is closed to new replies.