• This topic has 24 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by gee.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Which bike for Mountain Mayhem?
  • aazlad
    Free Member

I’m riding MM for as part of a team of five. I’ve never done anything like this before so I’m not sure which steed to use. We’re not going to be going for a win or setting any lap records – just doing it for fun.

The options are my Orange Alpine 160 which I ride on a weekly basis around Saddleworth and the Dark Peak, or my Jamis Dakota (100mm hardtail) which I rarely ride since I moved to the hills.

MM doesnt sound technical but do I use the Apline for comfort and familiarity? It has minion 2.3s on it so I could use skinnier tyres for reduced rolling resistance.

I’d appreciate any thoughts from none xc whippets that have ridden 24 hour events on a big bike.

munrobiker
    Free Member

It’s an XC race. Not the alps. You will have a horrible time lugging a 35lb full susser around what is essentially a flat boggy course in the midlands. Take the hardtail.

mrmo
    Free Member

if it rains you want mud clearance, infact just take a pair of walking boots!

I personally wouldn’t use a 160mm travel bike on that course, the Malvern course is basically one big climb followed by one big smoothish decent. It isn’t quite that clear cut but should give you some idea of what to expect.

sambob
    Free Member

Hardtail.

dot
    Free Member

You could of course do it on the Alpine but why make it more difficult for yourself?

squiff
    Free Member

Hardtail, anyting else wil be too much hassle and OTT for the course

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

I am taking two bikes….just ‘cos I can.

I expect to use the HT if its wet and will use FS just to get some miles in on it….

Did MM last year and doing it again just to do it properly this time (not enough clothes, fitness or food last year)

I’ll be taking a 29er hard tail, plus another 29er hard tail as a spare bike.

pete68
    Free Member

Munrobiker said FLAT boggy course. Certainly isn’t flat,with ,i think,over 1000 ft of climbing per lap last year.Out of your bike choice,the hardtail would be the better bet.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Singlespeed is what you need 😉

Done it on a hardtail for the first few years and found the ss much faster for the last few, even dressed as I do!

IMG_5199 by ciderinsport, on Flickr

monkeychild
    Free Member

Doing it solo and taking my trance x and single speed.

chipps

Hardtail! There’s a fair amount of climbing on the course. There are few roots and no rocks, so no need for big tyres or full suspension.

pedlad

It’ll be my 6th in a team of 4 this year. First 3 were on ht last 2 on full suss. Taking both this year. Ht definately faster especially if muddy but as I’m getting older and softer the fs is nice to have if the ground’s rock hard and your getting knackered lap 4,5,6…..

Having said that it’s only 100mm rear FS. Wouldn’t dream of taking an alpine…..you’ll just get passed by the uni cyclists up the hills and that would be embarrassing.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Wouldn’t dream of taking an alpine…..you’ll just get passed by the uni cyclists up the hills and that would be embarrassing.

Not as embarrassing as being overtaken on a descent by a unicyclist, and a man in a sumo suit on a singlespeeder.

Not that I’d know…

Elmo
    Free Member

……Nope, never happened to me either Mrs Toast 🙄 😳

mboy
    Free Member

1400ft+ of climbing per lap. I’d say that’s anything but flat myself!

Anyway… Weight and mud clearance are usually more important than suspension. If it rains at all, fit the narrowest tyres you can lay your hands on. If it stays dry, count yourself very lucky, run the fastest tyres you can lay your hands on to minimise drag. I’d still not want to lug any extra weight up the hills at all though. Plenty of quick guys will be running full sus bikes, but they’ll be 100mm travel affairs and often made of carbon, not 160mm with slack angles and dual ply tyres.

Remember, even though you’re not competing, you will get competitive with yourself and others. A big heavy bike will be demoralising and will reduce the fun factor IMO.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Not as embarrassing as being overtaken on a descent by a man in a sumo suit on a singlespeeder.

Sorry 😳 All that weight helps us!

Pop along to the Sumo Disco tent during the weekend for a free hug 😉

All for a good cause you know!!!

aazlad
    Free Member

Better get some miles on the Jamis Dakota in the next month then. HT It is. Probably take the Alp as back. We have a few teams running and are hiring a big yurt so pop over for a chat. Here’s guys.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep take both, I’d ride the hardtail through choice. Hilly: yes, but technical: no.

munrobiker
    Free Member

It’s not that hilly, really.

emac65
    Free Member

It is hilly & is made worse by the fact that some of them are grassy/draggy climbs.Throw in the torrential rain that’s gonna come down(it always does)& it’s going to nightmare up some of those climbs,so H/tail it is then……..

xcneil
    Free Member

SC V10 in carbon of course to save weight on them grass climbs 😉

Seriously leave your big bike at home and take your hard tail have fun it’s a great event

big_n_daft
    Free Member

it’s the only place that can rival Catton for it’s ability to turn into an unrideable bog when it rains

the sections they cut through the grass are especially great for destroying rear mech’s in the wet

tbh take any bike, there will be people on unicycles and BMX’s taking the piss anyway

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

take the hardtail and if it rains stick a plastic tent peg in your pocket to help dig the mud out from around your frame and tyres.
    Take lots of kit with you.
    Use bottles as opposed to camelbak.
    Don’t take it too seriously and try to have fun.
    For added plus points try to blag the dawn lap – start in the dark finish in daylight – its always special.

gee
    Free Member

Mayhem isn’t about the course… Although being prepared for the Somme when it rains always helps. 1.5 mud tyres essential!

It’s about getting so many thousands of people together to ride bikes.

GB

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Which bike for Mountain Mayhem?’ is closed to new replies.