Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Where in Cornwall with 14 month olds?
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

We are having our first 'family' holiday this year (no BBC Breakfast TV it is NOT a 'Staycation' so will you stop saying the damn word every two minutes thankyouverymuch).

Our usual holidays in this country are to places like Fowey and St Ives but I want to go somewhere that will be more baby-friendly (ie, nice beaches and in proximity to places we can take them such as farms etc). I have been recommended Corbis Bay and that looks very nice. We always stayed at Porth just outside Newquay as kids but we went there last year and it looked a bit past it and Newquay isn't very nice for families either. Is it Perranporth that has the huge beach? If it is then that might be a possibility too.

So – recommendations please 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Thread closed I think…

EDIT: Ooops…sorry, just realised you said Cornwall…

doc_blues
    Free Member

We considered Kernow, last year, but in the end went to pembrokshire with our (then) 14 month old last year – stayed near saundersfoot, nr Tenby. Beaches were good, but weather wasnt, meaning we pretty much had them to ourselves meaning lots of running round and general rioutus times for the kid.

There were plenty of other things to do – farm up the road for kids, which was pretty good. Did a walk through Bosherton Lakes to the sandy beach there – which was great (although, not great with a buggy, it was managable). Planning on going back this summer.

Initially looked at Bluestone, balked at the prices and found ourselves a decent little cottage for 1/3 of the price of what is essentially a middle class butlins

yunki
    Free Member

We're taking our tribe to Porth bay.. (youngest 8 months)… big beach with a stream… far enough out of Newquay to avoid the stumblebums..

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Really want to do Cornwall as we both spent our childhoods there so it has special memories for us.

Yunki – in Porth itself? That is exactly where I spent most of my childhood holidays – catching sand eels in the stream, watching water come out of the blow hole up by the bridge to the furthest island, climbing over the rocks to get to the little beach on the other side of the island, carefully walking across the seaweed-covered walkway over the stream, digging holes under our mum & dad's deckies so they fell backwards 🙂 When we went back last year I had my first ever pint in the Mermaid Inn (I was too young to be allowed in when I was a kid – before pubs became kiddie friendly).

GW
    Free Member

portreath

My front page

the-muffin-man

With a 14 month old you could take them to any beach anywhere and they'd have fun! So just go where you want to go, there's plenty of time to be tied to kids stuff when they're older and more aware of things.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

With a 14 month old you could take them to any beach anywhere and they'd have fun! So just go where you want to go, there's plenty of time to be tied to kids stuff when they're older and more aware of things.

Yeah, agreed – but most of the places we have been before (recently) aren't close to beaches at all (ie, Fowey) so was wanting recommendations for good, family-friendly, beachy places really.

mangoridebike

Polzeath – massive beach number of shops cafes etc which are pretty good – gets busy in high summer. spent most of my childhood summers there.

GW
    Free Member

What does family-friendly mean?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

What does family-friendly mean?

Big, flat and sandy so our girls can toddle without too much risk of hurting themselves or struggle over pebbles. And have cafes/restaurants nearby that cater for toddlers.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Hi mastiles – when you said 'corbis bay', I presume you meant 'carbis bay'. If this is the case, then it's really just a suburb of St Ives. For child friendly beaches, Sennen is ace, also Padstow and Rock. You can hire bikes and trailers, etc, in Padstow, the Camel trail is family friendly and a nice way to spend a day. The trouble with Cornwall is that eating out, etc, can be ridiculously expensive. Oh, and avoid Newquay after six at night, it's stag and hen do hell.

mangoridebike

from your desctiption MF Polzeath sounds perfect

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah that's the one – Carbis Bay.

Agreed regarding cost though – it is looking like it will actually be cheaper to fly abroad at that time of year which is madness and something we don't really want to do!

GW
    Free Member

Why not? Cornwall can be grim

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I also have to admit that when we lived there, I got really pi**ed off with the prices of everything going up during the holiday season, and the at times appaling cynicism and hostility shown by some of the locals (not all of who were Cornish) towards holiday makers (or emmets, as they are often referred to).

watly_biker
    Free Member

Polzeath is a lovely beach but it is a surf beach so plenty of waves – there are few amenities there like cafes etc. and the camel trail is fun.
    The beach is lovely and Rock and Padstow are easy to get to, I think there is also an indoor pool in Wadebridge.
    The only attraction we visited was some sort of adventure /theme park place near Padstow – it did have loads of soft play suitable for toddlers.
    I would avoid school hols as you can – we went in Oct half term and it was packed.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Why not? Cornwall can be grim

Because we want to have a family holiday in Cornwall like we used to have as kids ourselves – it is just something we want to do.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I would avoid school hols as you can

My holiday already booked at work and my wife works at a school so can only take holidays during school holiday times 🙁

rhys
    Free Member

Sorry for the blatant plug
    http://www.staynewquay.com/properties_detailed_new.php?code=penwarthacottage

Quiet hamlet
    we can walk down to 3 fantastic beaches
    Holywell Bay
    Polly Joke
    Crantock

Don't be put off the Newquay bit.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

How about Devon? Woolacombe's got a great beach and is pretty child friendly.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

rhys – Member
    Sorry for the blatant plug

Our family isn't that big! (And it is still listed with 2009 availability too 😉 )

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

I don't think that you can accuse the cornish of being 'at times' somewhat intolerant to the tourists because quite frankly a lot of tourists come down here and treat the locals like shite. With easter last weekend its been very noticible the sudden rise of 'lack of courtesy' all around, be that on the roads, shops etc

But anyway… carbis bay is yes a bit of a suburb. The beach itself is very pretty though with cafe, toilets etc.

If you want a complete everything on your doorstep holiday in the far west its sennen all the way, stunning beach, great pub, great restaurant, shop etc etc … and that's not just because I've got a house there with vacancies ; )

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

"I don't think that you can accuse the cornish of being 'at times' somewhat intolerant to the tourists because quite frankly a lot of tourists come down here and treat the locals like shite."
    Sorry gav, but please note that I used the term 'locals', and also stated that not all of those were Cornish. I used to work in St Ives, and I lived in Coverack Bridges for a couple of years, and sadly, I did come across a lot of intolerance. However, I will concede that some of the tourists could be a pain in the arse. I think the bottom line is that during the season, there are just too many people heading for a part of the country where the infrastructure cant cope – one road in and out, and all that. I moved back up to Yorkshire due to my mam being terminally ill, and but for that, I'd probably still be living in Cornwall.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

and that's not just because I've got a house there with vacancies ; )

How big, how much and available for two weeks starting 7 Aug?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

How about Devon? Woolacombe's got a great beach and is pretty child friendly.

HE WANTS TO GO TO CORNWALL!!

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Scarborough it is then…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

They have been to Scarborough…

HE WANTS TO GO TO CORNWALL!!

😆

avdave2

I know you say Cornwall but the beaches around Tenby are really nice it's cheaper and less crowded and [list]YOU CAN STILL SEE CORNWALL[/list]. We went last year and to be honest I don't see us going to Cornwall again in a hurry. We will be heading there again this summer.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Pembrokeshire's far nicer than Cornwall if you ask me, but don't go telling everyone about it!

therealhoops
    Free Member

Looe

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Looe

Years since I have been but I don't recall any beaches there – more harbour…

uplink
    Free Member

When ours were much younger we had a great holiday here, probably the best place I've been to in Cornwall

http://www.motheriveysbay.com/index.html

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Our two girls are now 10 & 8 and we've always had 2 weeks in St Ives every year since having them. They love it there, choice of 3 beaches, etc. The pubs aren't very family friendly though.

Mind you, we have so far managed to go in term time, I've heard St Ives is horrendously overcrowded in July and August.

Perranporth is lovely, HUUUGE beach…..

carlphillips
    Free Member

mother iveys bay or st merryn near padstow is well worth a look we love it there and so do the kids.

mogrim

North Spain. If you squint you can still see Cornwall.

Food's probably better, too.

Edit: the Spanish love kids. And not in a Catholic kind of way, either.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

HE WANTS TO – oh I cant be arsed 😉

mogrim

Sod it, download a photo of Cornwall to your phone, and head to the Algarve. I've been to both, and I know where I'd rather spend my hard-earned summer holidays 🙂

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Where in Cornwall with 14 month olds?’ is closed to new replies.