Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What's this Swinley trail called … ?
  • OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

It starts at a square two-tier concrete drain cover on top of a hill between Surrey Hill crossroads and Lower Star Post, much closer to the SH end. It's just north and uphill from Jump Quarry.

Goes north in four parts (second of which is very short) and has great banking, lots of dips and climbs and finishes at the top of Pudding Hill, not far from the Lookout.

My friend and I have called this Tech Trail One, as it's the best one that we've found so far – anyone know a proper name for it?

fingerbike
    Free Member

I think you've just described: The Whole Nine Yards… 🙂

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

Cheers fingerbike. Actually seems to be called Full Nine Yards but I'm a wiser man for knowing this! 😀

djglover
    Free Member

I call it the motorway

greasystain
    Free Member
    thepurist

Greasy – loads missing off that! Nice idea though – noticed it's sourced from OSM so what's the best way of contributing?

greasystain
    Free Member

Just go here and register – then I think you can edit it yourself in a wiki-stylee.

Would make a good STW project.

mtbfix

Swinley is a flipping nightmare for non local riders. Crown Estate should pull their fingers out and get it waymarked and managed more closely as some stuff is very hard to find and a lot is getting mashed up by inappropriate use. Heck, they charge us to use the land for nil benefit!

flamejob
    Free Member

I kinda agree with mtbfix

I must have spent hours of my life explaining 'then you get to a bit that is kinda kinked and there is a patch of grass…'

I'm not 'local' anymore though 🙁

nicko74

mmmm… not sure I agree with that mtbfix. I do think it's better to keep it relatively for those 'in the know', as there are a lot of daytrippers there who would make a right mess of themselves if they tried some of the stuff.

ddmonkey

I quite enjoy the whole getting lost experience of Swinley, feels like you are in a proper woodland. No need to sanitise it further by adding labels and arrows.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

agreed with the death defying monkey

nickc

Arrows would be a bad thing, I reckon. What do you need to know? Ride along fire-road, look out for singletrack trails coming off them, ride along said trails…It's how I learnt, and I only go there once or twice a year…

I call that long trail the Motorway as well…

thepurist

I've only ever thought arrows might be a good plan at the intersection of Labyrinth/Deerstalker/Babymaker – a few 'No Entry's' and a 'Short Exit' and 'Long Exit' should do. A general map showing what's where would at least help people find stuff they've not tried before, or work out how to get to the Corkscrew/Labyrinth/Jump Gully from wherever they are.

FWIW I call the long one the 'Oh Bugger Trail' – it got christened that after a silly off involving me, a muddy puddle and a log.

ddmonkey

He he "death defying monkey" Its good, its not right… 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What's this Swinley trail called … ?’ is closed to new replies.