Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • What would be the best light DH crank setup?
  • Bream
    Free Member

I'm in a little quandary, I’m having to sell my Saint cranks because they won’t fit my new frame and fancy something a little more bespoke than another pair of Saints.

What high end options do I have? Doesn't have to be full on DH as I ride light and am tempted to fit a pair of XTRs etc.

I guess something like:

RaceFace Diabolus DH Single

Gravity Light Chainset MegaExo

Deity Components Vendetta

Middleburn?

Anything else I should be considering?

wwaswas

XTR or middleburn.

njee20
    Free Member

XTR

BIGMAN
    Free Member

Raceface Atlas FR with a Hope BB!

Gravity Lights are good but a wee bit delicate. a friend has been through 2 sets and he is small and pretty smooth..

BIGMAN
    Free Member

Oh I used XTRs on my DH bike as an experiment and they quickly gave up the ghost. They survived a month of solid riding. OK if your pro and get kit for free. Weight saving over Atlas cranks is only a few hundred grams to iirc.

Bream
    Free Member

The next question would be which Middleburn?

RS7 UNO or DH-Slalom or?

spoon
    Free Member
    Bream
    Free Member

Raceface Atlas FR look pretty but come with a weight, they reckon close to 1kg all in! (even if 40g lighter than Saints!)

spoon
    Free Member

the FSA gravity light : Dual Ring Setup 22/32/Bash (1011g without bottom bracket sleeve) …

flamejob
    Free Member

If you want Bespoke cranks then get someone to make them for you. 😉

STATO
    Free Member

whats wrong with XT or SLX?

Bream
    Free Member

If you want Bespoke cranks then get someone to make them for you.

Sure but who, hence my question? 😉

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=4011

How come the 175mm 44t is that cheap? Anyone?

Bream
    Free Member

whats wrong with XT or SLX?

Nothing I guess but I can't get them in 165s can I or?

Plus I was looking at the high end of the scale, personally I think the XT and SLR are great kit but then again so are the Saints I'm selling now, just wanted something a bit more exclusive. I always try and use the need for a new bit of kit to upgrade 8)

Bream
    Free Member

How come the 175mm 44t is that cheap? Anyone?

Typo I reckon, buy it quick 😆

spoon
    Free Member

Bit of a hijack but i was after some lightweight cranks to fit an 83mm BB shell , anyone know of anything other than the FSA or RF atlas?

utangvegas

That new Raceface SIXC looks very night but maybe not for DH more AM/FR.

http://www.raceface.com/components/cranks/108/

Bream
    Free Member

That new Raceface SIXC looks very night but maybe not for DH more AM/FR.

It does look nice but no 83mm BB 🙁

jamesca
    Free Member

i have middleburn RS7's and i'm a fairly heavy person and have had them on DH for sometime…..i also have a superstar ISIS BB which has lasted well. this is decent praise as i sheared 3 FSA BB's (2 were warranty replacements

Bream
    Free Member

The RS7 is looking good to me, plus its made in the UK 8)

Just dropped them a line to see if they can offer a bespoke service (flamejob 🙄 ) 😀

br
    Free Member

Or these bargains!

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain-bike-chainsets/fsa-gravity-light-chainset.html

I put them on my sons' DH bike, work well but he is very light.

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

If your setup is 83mm, then:
    Middleburn RS7, e13 chainring, alu chainring bolts, FSA platinium ISIS BB, alu ISIS bolts.

Gravity lights are known for bending, no such thing with Middleburn RS7, which btw is DH certified.

Si
    Free Member

New MRP cranks?

coastkid
    Free Member

bet you wont break a phil wood square taper BB and middleburn crank arms,light,solid set up…

Daffy

M815 Saints are 83mm.

Curly68
    Free Member
    j-claw
    Free Member

XT/XTR – no 83mm & flexy
    FSA – bend if you even look at them the wrong way
    Deity – boat anchor
    Middleburn – ISIS

Race Face Atlas FR is the one to go for… Light (for a DH crank), lifetime warranty, every colour, size & ring option you can think of & extremely stiff & strong.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Middleburn here with no problems, single ring normal spider

GW
    Free Member

Saint is the one.

Race face warranty is worthless

coastkid – as for your middleburn challenge – bet I'd ruin the L/H crank taper just like any other square taper previously has. I like SQ taper BBs but unfortunately it's just not a secure enough interface for getting it sideways

0range5

Although ISIS have a bad rep, not all are rubbish. Seems the Superstar ones are fine & the FSA downhill ones seem good. Mine isn't on a DH bike but it's not complained in over a year of use & is still going. The longest I got out of an external was 6 months, and that wasn't riding as much as I do now. And before anyone asks, the BB shell was faced.

I reckon you can't go wrong with RS7's – DH & dirt jump guaranteed for life.

geetee1972
    Free Member

You can get XT cranks in 165mm.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I'm very anti-Race Face. The spline interface on mine wore out very quickly (within a year) and the bottom brackets are made of cheese.

Is Saint an option?

slowrider
    Free Member

Bit of a hijack but i was after some lightweight cranks to fit an 83mm BB shell , anyone know of anything other than the FSA or RF atlas?

you can mod an xt chainset to fit an 83mm BB, i think there was a 'how to' on sicklines, its definitely on a pinkbike thread somewhere too. if i get time ill try and find it for you.

slowrider
    Free Member
    Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The 83mm mod isn't a certain though, you need to do some pretty accurate measurements to check if there is enough room between the crank arm and chainstay. I've seen 970XTR's modified to fit on a Sunday and they sit within a gnat's whisker of the chainstay.

Having run the Atlas's, they are fine. The BB is junk though and the splined interface is a complete ballache compared to the simplicity of Saints. Fine if you get lucky and manage to set up your chainline & chain device perfectly first time (never happens), but after you have removed/reinstalled them 5 or 6 times you will curse every single pound you spent on them.

Middleburn have finally joined the modern age & there are some pictures of a prototype external BB crank floating around now. If you really want something different, buy the Saints, run them until the Middleburns show up then swap them out.

PS – you're not Bream off the MLR by any chance are you? If so, its a small world.

goodgrief
    Free Member

Fine if you get lucky and manage to set up your chainline & chain device perfectly first time (never happens), but after you have removed/reinstalled them 5 or 6 times you will curse every single pound you spent on them.

exactly my experience. the axle isn't at coated either so when it rusts, the bearings get stuck. mine took the bearing clean out of the cup when i removed the non drive-side

Bream
    Free Member

PS – you're not Bream off the MLR by any chance are you? If so, its a small world.

Surely there can be only one Bream on the interweb 😉

Yep, was into bikes long before Mr Mak was winning world rallies for Mitsi 😆

I have also just heard the Middleburn external BB etc, this would be ideal, will see if they can tell me anything 8)

vikingboy
    Free Member

Ahem, another mlr member checking in!
    🙂

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I have been running Raceface Deus cranks on my DH bike for over 2 years, and even though i'm carrying a few more cakes onboard than i used to, they are still going strong. They are very lovely indeed! The bb was cack though, so have a shimano one on with no problems 8)

IA

"I have also just heard the Middleburn external BB"

haha, that's been coming real-soon now for years!

I'll be riding those the day I play duke nukem forever…

To the OP, middleburns.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘What would be the best light DH crank setup?’ is closed to new replies.