Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • What Whisky as a gift?
  • footflaps

I need to buy a gift as a thank you for someone doing a favour, but all I know is they like Whisky and no more details. What would be a safe choice around the £20 mark? NB I don’t drink the stuff so know bugger all…

Cougar

At that price bracket you’re in the realms of Glenfiddich, Glenmorangie, Jameson’s and their ilk. (And there’s nothing wrong with that.)

A bit more would get you something a cut above; Jura, Highland Park.

A bit left field perhaps, look at half bottles of something which would be out of budget otherwise, should be able to get something nice that way.

kcal

£20 is relatively low for something even half decent IMO. Might get a basic Glen Moray, maybe Aberlour for that.

£25 – opens up to nice Old Pulteney, Highland Park, Glenfiddich varieties, Glenfarclas – not sure.

tiggs121
    Free Member

How about this?

Maybe not the best but tasty enough and bang on your budget.

kcal

^^ just a bit more than a stone’s throw from me 🙂

Cougar

Actually, here’s what I’d do.

Go to an actual whisky shop, rather than Tesco. Tell them your budget, and see if you can pick up a half bottle of something nice (then you’re getting a half of a £40 bottle for £20, broadly).

deadkenny
    Free Member

If they like their Whisky, it’s going to be stupidly expensive for something palatable. Beyond my gift budget, even for a close relative 😀

Otherwise, a cheap one from supermarket. They’ll probably keep it to give to someone else.

chewkw
    Free Member

The Japanese ones … 😀

Cougar

If they like their Whisky, it’s going to be stupidly expensive for something palatable.

I dunno about that. I like expensive whisky but would be very appreciative of anything gifted that wasn’t Teachers or Bells.

The Japanese ones …

For £20? Hook me up with your dealer.

footflaps

Given it will be unexpected, it’s the thought that counts etc and I’m quite happy if they just shove it in a cupboard and give it to an aunt at xmas etc.

Cougar

In which case, have you considered a really nice bottle of wine?

bearnecessities

Near a Sainsbury’s?

Bargain for £30.

chewkw
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

The Japanese ones …

For £20? Hook me up with your dealer. [/quote]

Arrgghhhh … my eye sight! My eye sight! I did not see the £20 …

Naahhh … for £20 you are in the Teacher Highland blended stuff like this one. 😀

My bottle is bigger than yours … :mrgreen:

andycs

If you know someone with a Costco card, Glenlivet Founders Reserve £19.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

If they like their Whisky, it’s going to be stupidly expensive for something palatable.

Dunno where you get that from, there’s stacks of VERY tasty stuff for not stupid money. Unless your’e just a snob, (which reminds of when my mate was hauling French wine back from err, France, & he gave me a bottle of the finest Beaujolais Nouveau, something like ££££’s a bottle, I’d rather have drank chip shop vinegar.)
    As I’ve said time & time again on here ‘one man’s meat is another man’s poison’.

Look for offers on Old Pultenay, Dalwhinnie & some of the Jura’s or Islay’s.

Edit, even Teachers is ok to have around.

bearnecessities

even Teachers is ok to have around.

Get out.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Cameron Brig single grain, around £20 Nice enough drink and a bit different being not malt

chakaping
    Free Member

As I’ve said time & time again on here ‘one man’s meat is another man’s poison’.

Look for offers on Old Pultenay

Haha, Old Poultney tastes revolting to me. And I like Islays generally.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Haha, Old Poultney tastes revolting to me. And I like Islays generally.

Haha also! I must have a weird sense of taste, my actual faves are Bunnahabhain 12 Year Old & Caol Isla 12 yr old, but I also really enjoy OP as it’s fairly mellow (to me)
    I have never tasted a bad malt whisky!

ski
    Free Member

How about a pair of nice whiskey glasses?

Or some reading material, latest copy of The Whiskey Bible?

Otherwise 20cl bottle of Lagavulin 16?

midlifecrashes

Aberlour 10yo for £21 at Morrisons would be a bargain.

Of course as a commited drinker, I have all the necessary info to hand.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsH9BBL4g1OhdDI0WGs0Zk5IN3lSZk5FS0xkaFhVZXc&usp=sharing#gid=0

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Ok, so it’s 50% over budget but Maker’s Mark is one of the finest drams available @ £30

theteaboy
    Free Member

Black Grouse or Bailie Nicol Jarvie are both under £20 and are ridiculous value.

duncancallum

Glen moray is rather nice, bit light but very nice in its own way.

What about a Vatted malt like monkey shoulder

jb72
    Free Member

For around £20 I would give (and be happy to receive) a full bottle of Jamesons or a half bottle of Jura – looking at Tesco prices.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Southern comfort?

Jim Bean?

mulacs
    Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Black grouse is nice for a blend and within budget

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

That Balvenie looks a decent buy, failing that see if there is a MaCallan on offer anywhere 🙂

blob
    Free Member

Have a look at the whisky section on here

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s worth stretching to the Balvenie if you can.

Very nice stuff but also not too extreme so a safe bet.

Now where;s there a Sainsbo’s near me…

isto
    Free Member

You could pick up a bottle of Black Bush for nearish your budget. It’s one of the nicest blended choices for that money. For a tenner more you could get a bottle of Redbreast in Sainsburys which is a lovely bottle as a gift.

footflaps

In the end I blew the budget and went for:

bearnecessities

That’s pretty random for a “safe choice”!

footflaps

I just went on the advice of the guy in the local wine merchants.

Cougar

You’ve chosen wisely. Benromach is lovely (though the Organic is the best they do IMHO).

footflaps

Cheers,

It was as a thank you for the owners of a local gym, we hired to host a weight lifting comp. They helped out loads inc spending two hours as bar loaders for us!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/tfEQsp] [/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘What Whisky as a gift?’ is closed to new replies.