• This topic has 25 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by OCB.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What Warm Coat For Mid Ride Stops?
  • monksie
    Free Member

I need a coat that I can carry in my pack that squashes down small, is lightweight, warm and reasonably rainproof for occasional, unpredictable but usually lengthy stops mid ride. May even be ride stops completely that results in train rides home.
    I’m thinking a thinner down jacket but which that can withstand some rain? It can be stored hung up in the warm when it’s not being taken out on rides.
    Thanks

Graham_Clark

I can’t fault me Finistere Etobicoke… Not down, but fantastically warm and packs really small…
    Have a look here

StirlingCrispin

I’ve taken to riding everywhere in a Buffalo Special 6 Shirt.

Just zip it up when you stop.

mustard
    Free Member

Yep, get a synthetic insulation, it will stay warm when wet (or at least more so than down). My NorthFace one has a DWR coating, some don’t, but Flashy says TNF are chavvy so you’d best not get one of them 🙄 I think I get more use out of it than any other piece of clothing I own.

Personally I’d go to an outdoors shop and try some on. I found Rab and Montane versions didn’t fit me very well but I am a bit of a funny shape! Druidh is a big fan of his Montane one.

I haven’t tried it but the Colombia one with the foil lining looks like a good idea; I don’t know if it actually makes any difference to the warmth.

I’d also recommend getting a full zip so you don’t need to take your helmet off just to pull on your jacket for a few mins.

tlr

Anything except down!

Some sort of synthetic insulation would be perfect.

Rab photon or generator
    TNF Redpoint
    Haglofs Barrier
    Arcteryx Atom Lt/SV
    Montane Fireball

Consider the gilet versions as they are lighter, cheaper and more packable but still insulate your core.

Or look at the Rab Vapourise styles for an alternative.

druidh
    Free Member

As mustard says, I got a Montane Prism for exactly the same purpose. However, I like it so much it’s hardly off my back!

They’re currently doing the LTD Edition Prism direct from Montane at £80 – and £45 of that is going to Mountain Rescue in England and Wales. *
    http://www.montane.co.uk/shop/limited-edition-prism-jacket

xcgb
    Free Member

I have an Montane extreme smock got in the sales for under 60 after a tip off on here.

really good bit of kit but if you run hot, probably too warm to ride in unless its proper minus

great for other sports though

somouk
    Free Member

I carry a Snugpak softie, it crushes down real small and is so warm it’s untrue.

I used to ride lots over winter in my Buffalo, also an excellent piece of kit but more expensive.

messiah
    Free Member

I use a Rab Generator vest with either a very light windproof jacket or my full waterproof gore-tex job depending on the likely weather.

I liked the Rab so much I bought another for the walk to work bag.

Sanny
    Free Member

Rab Photon Hoody. About 400 grammes, hood, hand pockets, packs down to a small size. My jacket of choice to keep me warm and dry in a shower. I always take it on big days out as I don’t notice the weight but it’s good to have for lunch stops, punctures, waiting for mountain rescue etc 😀

jimmy

Montane Prism here, too. Packs down tiny, is lightweight and surprisingly warm. Carried mine round Strathpuffer in case I had to stop, which I did and it worked a treat.

The LTD edition might be slightly nicer than the standard colours. (And they’re still doing the offer?!)

matt_outandabout

Montane prism or Patagonia Micropuff – ace things, all our staff wear on the hill, river, walk to work etc these days.

SimonR

Been looking for similar … came to the conclusion that a Rab Generator pull-on would do the job I want best (low weight, small pack size, warm when damp) although couldn’t decide whether I’d miss the hood so the photon is a close second. Haven’t yet hit the purchase button though …….

nedrapier

tlr – Member
    Anything except down!

Some sort of synthetic insulation would be perfect.

Rab photon…

Half price at webtogs atm; according to this morning’s email flyer.

nedrapier

Ha. ‘cept in medium, which makes me feel slightly less conflicted about spreading the word, because I was tempted myself!

http://www.webtogs.co.uk/Rab_Mens_Photon_Belay_Jacket_102532.html?utm_source=Webtogs&utm_campaign=6ad236030e-Webtogs_Rab_Photon_Belay_Jan_121_18_2012&utm_medium

crikey
    Free Member

Firstworldproblem par excellence…

monksie
    Free Member

Thank you for the suggestions, Lots to look at.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Another Montane prism user here… they were far better in the olden days before they put wire in the hood and made them less packable, I have an original version, and one from 2010 which is the same as it is now, I also have a flux which is slightly warmer I use it as my belay jacket.

In fact the prism and the flux together are so great, that this combo is my winter climbing system… good down to about -10 ish.

tinman66
    Free Member

Another…..Montane Prism owner here. The two previous comments pretty much sum it up. For the size its got some decent insulation although it would be far too warm for me to actually ride in. It packs down pretty small too so should fit in most backpacks.

budgierider67

I can’t fault me Finistere Etobicoke… Not down, but fantastically warm and packs really small…
    Have a look here

+1

Quality gear at a bargain price right now.

daleftw
    Free Member

Rab Generator Vest. Great piece of kit.

redfordrider
    Free Member

OMM Rotor Smock.

BadlyWiredDog

If you can bear the slightly terrifying initial outlay – or can find it cheaper on line – the Rab Xenon is ace. Not as warm as the Generator or similar, but packs tiny, weighs a tad over 300g and is deceptively warm given the weight. The nice thing is that you will actually carry it, because it packs down so small. That and a merino beanie – preferably striped – work for me.

PrimaLoft is great stuff, you can get it wet without fretting too much, so just layer it over anything else you’re wearing and the Xenon isn’t so warm that you can’t ride in it when things get really cold. Like about minus 10 or so in the Peak last winter over a lined soft shell. Unfortunately the outer fabric, a super lightweight Pertex, is also super expensive. Hence the price of around £150, but you can find it a lot cheaper on line.

http://rab.uk.com/products/mens-clothing/primaloft_1/xenon-jacket.html

rob-jackson
    Free Member

montane prism

tang
    Free Member

Patagonia hooded primaloft job here picked it up half price from themountainfactor. That or any decent belay jacket is ideal.

OCB
    Free Member

Keela Belay?
    I use mine a lot when walking / just out hanging around taking photographs.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What Warm Coat For Mid Ride Stops?’ is closed to new replies.