Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What tyres for xc racing?
  • fras83
    Free Member

Hi, I was just wondering some of your opinions on tyres. I currently run continental explorers 2.1 in all conditions. I will be racing so preferably something not too heavy, low rolling resistance etc. I was thinking on getting a specific mud tyre for this year aswell. There are just so many tyres to choose from! Was looking at maybe Maxxis crossmark or hutchinson python and for a mud tyre michelin country mud. Any thoughts?

rolfharris
    Free Member

Most racers I know run Schwalbe. I run Nobby Nics, which is a rare choice because they're a "mud" tyre but I don't like to swap.

Most people use Racing Ralphs or Rocket Rons because they're light, fast and last a while. Truly the best tool for the job.

nonk
    Free Member

i run an ignitor on the front and a crossmark on the back.

Ti29er
    Free Member

+1 RR

stratobiker
    Free Member

Hutchinson Piranhas front and back for me.
    They're super fast, wear well, and they're robust.
    I run the UST ones. A little heavier, but they don't die of fright at the sight of a few rocks.
    They've been good enough for me to make the podium a few times.

Crossmarks are fast, but they don't like slowing down. I found them a little unpredictable under heavy braking.

When it's really muddy I switch to Bontrager Mud on the back and a Jones on the front.

SB

kiwijohn

Maxxis Monorail F & R. Does what it says on the packet.

yetiguy
    Free Member

conti speed kings are very light with a fantasticly low rolling resistance

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Depends on the XC course!

I agree with yeti guy about the speed kings – I have a set and they are very fast but do fall over at the sight of moisture.

for mud tyres I have used conti edges – 'cos they are cheap

For next weeks race I shall be using conti snow claw if it is below freezing and conti edges if above freezing.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Depends on the course & conditions
    For xc racing I use: Maxxis Medusa 1.8's, Conti xc 1.5's, Nobby Nics, Racing Ralphs, or some old Conti double fighter semi slicks, but that is a rare choice. Just take each race on its own merits.

br
    Free Member

Once you start racing, you will end up choosing whichever tyre is best for the race you are going to race…

Consequently probably worth a spare set of wheels and, for example, in spring/autumn run Nobby Nics on your normal wheels and then put a Racing Ralph on the spare rear and a Mud X on the spare front. When you get to the venue, decide.

For the summer its worth a going more 'slick' and in winter more 'treaded'.

For enduros I go more for strength then pure lightness, and/or UST versions.

This is when you end up with 3 to 4 pairs of wheels, especially if tubeless as you can't be bothered to change them…

oldgit
    Free Member

I can only recommend Racing Ralphs and Speed Kings, though I've not had one on the front.
    TJ I found the Speed King pretty good in the wet, and the 700c version kept me upright all though the cross season, where you racing BTW.

schmiken

This is when you end up with 3 to 4 pairs of wheels, especially if tubeless as you can't be bothered to change them…

Oh yes, mine and my girlfriends bikes all have interchangeable wheels cos changing tyres is a pain!

But anyway – I use a mixture of Schwalbe Rons, Nics, Ralphs and Freds dependent on weather conditions.

tinsy
    Free Member

I didnt get the comment on speed kings in the wet either, mine work OK as an allrounder..

For flat out bone hard dry courses, conti twister supersonics or Sshwalbe fast freds can be had in about 350g flavours and nothing is faster, but if you actually need some grip and volume too, the Kenda SB8 is really, really fast and quite light, as long as its lovely and dry.

For mud, any mud tyre is way better than an alrounder type of tyre.

pinches
    Free Member

medusas for mud, nics/ralphs/rons all depending on condition

fras83
    Free Member

Cheers for your opinions guys. As I said i've run conti explorers for the last few seasons I have raced no matter what the conditions or terrain but wanted a change. I'm sure there are lighter/ faster rolling tyres out there. Seems like there is going to be a bit of trial and error with tyres to find what suits my riding in different conditions though!

handyman153
    Free Member

I seem to remember a while ago in What MTB magazine Schwalbe did a table where they recommended what tyres to run front and back, for different weather conditions.
    I have had a quick look, but cant find it anywhere..

Has anybody got it? I found it quite useful at the time..

br
    Free Member

My son use SB8's on his 4x/jump bike, seem to give enough grip in dry-to-damp conditions – run tubeless also.

njee20
    Free Member

I use a mixture of Schwalbe Rons, Nics, Ralphs and Freds dependent on weather conditions.

Yep, me too. Don't waste your time with Fast Freds, just go for Furious Freds! Perhaps only get one, there aren't many courses you can use them, but at 295g and easy to convert to tubeless they're awesome!

Schwalbe "3 tyre system":

ajf
    Free Member

for all these tyre changes are you running tubeless or you still got tubes in? Or you got separate wheels?

If separate wheels do you change the cassette or run with different cassettes at different wear rate?

schmiken

Tubeless, separate wheels, identical cassettes but regular checking of chain wear and rotation of wheels.

handyman153
    Free Member

njee20

Thanks for that 3 tyre system..
    Josh

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I use WTB nano front and vulpine rear for summer races.

Bonty mud X in the gloop, for weight and performance IMO they are great.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

The Schwalbe system is a good one & they are excellent tyres, unless it's really sticky, then I find them too wide, hence the Medusa's & Conti XC's

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What tyres for xc racing?’ is closed to new replies.