Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • What pipe cutter for steerer tube?
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

2 steerers to cut down, whats a good pipe cutter?

badlydrawnbiker
    Free Member

A hacksaw?

uplink
    Free Member

A hacksaw

+1

Edric64
    Free Member

+1

racing_ralph
    Free Member

As i don't have a vice its out i am afraid

angryratio
    Free Member

Hacksaw again, the roller cutters are crap, esp on those zochi steerer tubes that have the ridges on.
    The cutter jumps onto a differnet ridge and spoils the cut

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I use a Kennedy pipe cutter (from Cromwell Tools) on my Fox and Marzocchi forks, and also Thomson seatposts. I always finish the job with a file, but much prefer a cutter to a saw.

mrfrosty
    Free Member

A beta one even comes with deburring tool, replacable cutters available to

steveh

Mine was just a cheapy £7 one from a hardware shop, has done 10+ sets of forks and is still fine.

zaskar
    Free Member

Wickes pipe cutter will do it but take your time and wear goggles/glasses in case the blades snaps.

Vice and hacksaw ideal but pipe cutter and a file will be fine.

Make sure it comes with spare blades.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Hacksaw and a steady hand.

I knackered my bench vice a while back and have been using a couple of large clamps since which have allowed all cutting / drilling jobs I've needed to do, albeit not as easily as with a vice.

michaelr
    Free Member

I used a hacksaw and a X-Tools Saw Guide from CRC £18 in a vice it worked really well and no messing with the amount to cut off and it was even a straight cut! I have also used it to shorten handle bars and you can do that with the bars on the bike and no vice.

atlaz
    Free Member

Last time I did a set I used a hacksaw and used some card to protect the forks when I put pressure on them on top of the patio wall. Maybe I'm just lucky but the cut was straight enough.

druidh
    Free Member

Hacksaw and an old stem to keep it straight

iamsporticus
    Free Member

I got a cheapo one from B&Q
    It was less than a fiver

It did a set of MTB forks, more curtain poles than I could count and eventually dies after a carbon roadie steerer

Not bad value although the dust after the carbon was pretty horrific

bluemooner
    Free Member

Rothenberger cutters,,,the park tool of the air con world,,,

MrTall
    Free Member

I bought this saw guide from CRC and just used a hacksaw on the floor. Went through no problems and all nice and straight.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10222

samuri
    Free Member

B&Q ones last for a while, but they're dirt cheap. I'd say about ten or fifteen steerers before it's time to get a new one which is fine by me.

AlasdairMc

yup, hacksaw and an old stem, or even a spacer and a steady hand if that isn't available. If they're new forks you can use the box as support as you perch over your front doorstep making the cut (personal experience).

I don't mean to patronise, but measure twice, cut once. The cut doesn't need to be completely straight as the top of the stem will be above the steerer to allow the top cap to push down.

fubar
    Free Member

B&Q one barely scratched the surface of the steerer on my Revelations (and it's not faulty as I've since used it just fine on copper pipes)

I always find that pipe cutters burr the end of the pipe inwards which would make it hard to get the star nut or expander past. Maybe that's because I'm using an old worn out one though.

If you're using a hacksaw, don't cut right through in one go as it might wander off line and give you a sloping cut.
    Go right round with a shallow cut until the ends join up, then go round again, just breaking through each time.

I find a pair of mole grips and a Land Rover front bumper make an excellent improvised vice.

retro83
    Free Member

i just buy the cheapest one from Wilko's and chuck it away afterwards. Did the steel steerer on my Pikes with no trouble and only cost a couple of £.

organic355
    Free Member

jd-boy
    Free Member

if you have to cut the steer tube off in the Vice, little tip, if you have an old 5-10mm alloy head set spacer that you dont mind damaging, slide this down the steer tube to your cut line, put this against the jaws in the vice (not in the vice) clamp the steer tube in the vice and use the head set spacer as a guide to give you a streight cut.
    The Park SG-6 is worth investing in, along with being used to cut steer tubes down its good for bars and set post and those odd houshold plumbing jobs that turn up now and again

taxi25
    Free Member

Get the saw guide from CRC. Its better if you hold it in a vice, but not essential.

rootes1

If are using a hacksaw a jubliee clip fitted round the steerer makes a good little guide if you have no other tools guides etc

ddmonkey

Sorry – OT but Racing_Ralp I have sent you my address for the stem again, if you don't get it please mail me your phone number and I'll give you a call.

Cheers!

Jase_MK
    Free Member

Meh, I usually hacksaw it whilst it's still in the bike, wheel between my knees.

cheers_drive

This topic pops up all the time and it's amazing how many people will waste money on a guide or pipe cutter when an hacksaw and old stem or even carefully cutting using a masking taped line will do the job fine. The most important thing is to measure twice cut once.
    Even if you do cut wonky it doesn't matter as the top face of the steerer is not an interface.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘What pipe cutter for steerer tube?’ is closed to new replies.