Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What Middleburn chainring for singlespeed mtbing?
  • mogsuncle
    Free Member

I’m finishing off this afternoon’s online spending spree by getting a Middleburn RS8 X-Type crankset for a singlespeed frame I’m building up. However, trying to buy an appropriate sized uno chainring I’ve found there are far too many options.

Firstly, what size? I think I’ve narrowed it down to 36T or 38T as it’s fairly flat here in the Midlands and I’ve got my Nicolai for anything more adventurous. Presumably I can then experiment with cassette ring size?

The thing I really don’t understand is chainring width – I can have either 1/8 or 3/32. Which one do I need?

The help of the STW hive mind would be very much appreciated!

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

3/32 is “normal” sized chain, ie, 8/9sd. 1/8 is BMX, SS, Track sized chain … the choice is yours. Decide on which chain then get the correct ring or buy a ring, then get a chain to suit. A lot of SS stuff these days is 3/32, most cassette cogs will be 3/32 if they don’t say otherwise.

All this talk of 36 and 38T is just wrong 😉 Buy a 32T ring and a few rear cogs (15, 16, 17T). Rears are obviously much cheaper than fronts.

ajantom

For SS I’d say the 36t – I use a 38t with my 1×9 setup.
    I’d also go for the 3/32 as it’s more versatile as to what chains you use it with, and if you then want to use the ring with a geared setup you can.

Anyway sod the Uno get one of these – Homebrewed Components

Handmade by a dude in a shed (well nearly) in the states. Cheaper than the Uno rings, hard wearing, available in more colours, and look nicer I think.

mogsuncle
    Free Member

That’s really helpful, cheers. Do you not find yourself having to spin really quick on 32T? How about 34T?

_tom_
    Free Member

34-16 on a mtb will feel the same as the “magic” bmx ratio which is perfect for fairly flat stuff. 32-16 is better if you have some hills, was about right for Cannock but any more climbing and I’d go easier say 32-18.

Also if possible I’d go 1/8″ chain as they’re bigger which feels a bit “safer” if you’re like me and paranoid about chains snapping.

mogsuncle
    Free Member

Oh, that’s nice! I actually wanted a silver chainring so that will be just the ticket.

ajantom

Oh, and he’s offering 10% off all stuff at the moment which means the ring is $40.50 + postage – think it worked out $53 inc. postage for mine – so about £35 all in 8)

mogsuncle
    Free Member

I’m just trying to convince myself I don’t need the titanium version!

Think I’m decided on 34T for maximum versatility. For the same reason I think I’ll go with 3/32 width.

69er
    Free Member

For general off road use get a 32t front, and a few spare cogs for the back, but start with 16. I would avoid 1/8th unless you regulalry snap chains with your enormous strength! (Only applicable for those who are called Sir Chris Hoy) 😉

I would avoid 1/8th setup as I and others have had problems with chains jumping off at the rear.

3/32 is fine, I’ve used it racing on a s/s, I don’t get off and generate a fair amount of force climbing (I’m 16st). I also use SRAM powerlinks so I can break the chain easily for maintenace.

Middleburn-wise I’d go for an Uno set up, otherwise I’d use a Surly 3/32 stainless ring on standard cranks.

mogsuncle
    Free Member

Thanks everyone – I’ve ordered the 34T 3/32 alu silver uno chainring from Homebrewed Components.

ajantom

Good choice 8) I was tempted by the Ti version too, but it isn’t dished like the Aluminium one, so can cause clearance problems if you have a short BB axle.

mogsuncle
    Free Member

And the silver version was in stock too, which was a happy coincidence! Thanks for directing me to Homebrewed’, that’s got me what I really wanted and saved me money.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What Middleburn chainring for singlespeed mtbing?’ is closed to new replies.