Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What martial art? (classes in Sheffield?)
  • finbar
    Free Member

I'm thinking about learning some kind of martial art. I'd prefer something practical rather than balletic, if that makes sense (i.e. i want to be a badass). Any ninja types on here? Care to make a recommendation? Especially classes in Sheffield, that would be awesome. Cheers.

jam-bo

MMA if you want to learn how to fight
    Kickboxing/Muay thai if you want to get fit.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Ecky thump.

finbar
    Free Member

Cheers Jam bo. I'm cardio fit already but not massively strong. Definitely more interested in the learning how to fight side of things. I don't weigh much either (9 and a half stone ish), if that matters?

IanMunro, tell me more about the mystical art of ecky thump! 😆

jon1973
    Free Member

You can learn everything you need to know by watching Roadhouse.

finbar
    Free Member

You can learn everything you need to know by watching Roadhouse.

Indeed. "Pain don't hurt".

firestarter
    Free Member

ah sir patrick of swayze

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Boxing. Learn how to punch, and punch hard. Decent gym will set you up, teach and train you.

I found muay thai much much more interesting (and WAY harder training) than kickboxing. Forget locks, throws, bars, chokes or ground work unless you are really interested in MMA. If that's your bag then find a vale tudo class. 🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

MMA is great for 1on1.

If you're concerned more about your typical street situation, Krav Maga is unequivocally your number one choice.

It'll test your comfort zones early on though, so if you're a pussy that doesn't like a bit of rough and tumble you might not like it, and something that teaches you lots of kata to get to black belt and make you feel hard might be better for you.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Anyone watch that 'Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves' programme a couple of years ago? Really made me want to learn Kung Fu, but I'm lazy which also circularly means I wouldn't be good at Kung Fu.

roper
    Free Member

LOL at ecky thump

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Maybe it doesn't have the media hype of some others mentioned above but jui jitsu is very much about getting hands on and learning to deal with all sorts of attacks including knives, bottles, big sticks and swords. I seem to remember some people from the sheffield clubs were bleedin' mental so should be good fun!

finbar
    Free Member

I've heard a bit about Krav Maga, i think i might try and find a class. Guess i'll find out if i'm a pussy or not when i start 😈

Any particular type of Ju Jitsu guitarmanjon? I know there's Brazilian, but haven't a clue about any others…

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Jui Jitsu – very practical, hands on and, if you get the right club, teaches you all the dirty tricks.
    Would also suggest doing some boxing as it will teach you how to take a punch as well as throw them.

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Never done the brazillian jui jitsu. Not sure what the type I did was called… Here's the website for the club I used to be a member of.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yubi-jitsu

willard

Jui-Jutsu or another "soft" martial art. Or, as has been said before, MMA.

Defending yourself in a fight is not about learning a single martial art, but rather having a toolbox of different skills in place to allow you to draw on the best one for the situation you are in. Just be aware that most fights finish on the floor quite quickly, so learning something that teaches how to cope with that is a good idea.

I did three years of TKD and it was great, but the year of ninjutsu I did after that was far more practical, well, the unarmed combat stuff anyway. I'm also lazy, so the idea of using an opponent's energy against them rather than doing all the kicking or punching made a lot more sense.

antigee

karate in Sheffield – one of the good things about these classes is if you can't make one night you can go another night at one of the other locations – plus very welcoming

http://host.quksdns.net/~yorkshir/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57&Itemid=54

Pigface
    Free Member

Follow the way of the flailing wrist.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Have a look at Sheffield Forum's sports and activities section – a quick scan of that leaves one with the impression that the only sports and activities that take place in sheffield are of a kung fu nature, with the occassional korfball interlude.

finbar
    Free Member

Thanks all – loads of stuff to follow up. Or maybe i'll take up korfball instead…

Riofer
    Free Member

I go to a boxing gym in Hillsborough occasionally for circuit training. The circuits are good for strength endurance and they will happily get you sparring quickly if you want to get into the ring.

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Isn't korfball just netball with a different name so men can feel it's ok for them to play it?

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Shorinji Kempo if you can find a class – ideal for sorting out folk that jump you in the street. I practiced it extensivly in Glasgow 😉

Others I have done that are handy.

Wado Ryu, very good if you can find someone to teach it.
    Kung Fu, various styles… depends what you are looking for and what the local classes are like
    Ethiopian Head Boxing. Well, it's the ultimate arguement stopper 😉 I very much doubt you will find ANYONE teaching it though… ever!

My next stop is going to be Tai Chi though. Takes years to get properly good at, but is just ace when you get there.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What martial art? (classes in Sheffield?)’ is closed to new replies.