Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • What headphones are you using when riding???
  • STJOHN
    Free Member

Hi Folks

What head phones are you using? I have used the Sennheise and a set of Sony ones but neither of them give a particularly good base and don't stay in.

So your thoughts would be interesting…….don't need the rights and wrongs of riding with head phones..;-)))

regards

grahamt1980

the cheap breo candy ones on crc as they fit in my ff helmet easily and I won't care if I kill them

Drac

Was using Skull Candy Full Metal Jackets but they snagged tonight on the feaking ironing board when I was getting ready and snapped. Still, literally just ordered some more as the standard iPhone headphones really are poop.

titusrider
    Free Member

Well ive got some proper sound isolating shure 410's which are bloody fantastic HOWEVER i dont use them riding, they stay in but they isolate the traffic noise too well.

Riding i tend to nick my Gf's sonys with little over ear plastic clips

M6TTF
    Free Member

never ridden with ipod/mp3 player, enough going on as it is!

kiwijohn

Motorola S9 blue tooth. Puts the controls where you can reach them & syncs with both the phone & pod at the ame time.

peachos
    Free Member

ones with a headband that's thin enough to go under your helmet. wouldn't particularly bother too much with sound quality as you'd no doubt lose the effect with the added noise from wind and such.

MarkyG82

the senh… ones with in ear and band round your head.

http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_classic-line_sport-line_502542

About the best compromise of sound isolation and openess to the world. Plus the usual sennh… quality of sound and build.

and you can get them wet.

and they fit under a helmet.

and… 🙂

richmars

Headphones??!!
    You'll be eating and drinking on your bike next.

Drac

wouldn't particularly bother too much with sound quality as you'd no doubt lose the effect with the added noise from wind and such.

Not with good quality headphones you don't.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

http://www.jaysearphones.co.uk/s-jays-earphones-12-c.asp

These.

Great sound and stonking bass off them when they're properly positioned in your ear, but they're quite easily dislodged from the optimum position when you're riding if you're not careful. Looping the wires round the top rather than the bottom of your ears helps.

Ifrider
    Free Member

2nd vote for Shure SE's… I even use them "in-house" for normal listening they're that good !

rickon
    Free Member

Beta brainwaves are possibly the best budget set of phones about, sound as good as anything around £100 for far less. Only issue is you have to get them from the states mp4 nation, paired with sole
    foam tips that come with them give a great seal and loads of bass. Also, depends what player you've got, if it's apple… Forget bass it ain't happening, look at the sansa clip+. it's cheap as chips, light, and has quality
    to match the cowon s9.

Sandwich

Sure SE520 fantastic, volume on low for traffic and lots of checking what the tin box inhabitants are doing. Has worked well for years of commuting and road cycling.

Teetosugars
    Free Member
    DT78
    Free Member

I'm using these sony's they are fantastic, no wires to get in the way, use them for boarding as well

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-NWZW202B-2GB-MP3-Walkman/dp/B001RTS5SW/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1275343325&sr=1-19

nonk
    Free Member

teetosugars they look the dogs.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I tried music once. Uphill it just irritated me. Along and down hill I have no recollection of what I was listening to because I wasn't. I was concentrating on not being killed by my bike.

niallmb
    Free Member

http://www.westone.com/products/Custom%20Fit%20Pro%20Audio/ES3X

these bad boys although that's only coz that's what I have for work and to be honest its reasonably rare that I ride with earphones in. When your job is music related, its sometimes nice to have silence during your hobby!

grahamb
    Free Member

Shure SE420's. Fit well enough not to suffer from wind noise etc & mask the background noise probably too well for riding on the road unless at low volumes. Good enough sound quality, that I also use them in the house for the infrequent occasions i need headphones.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

i pedal alot faster and ride with more aggression when i have music on, i tend to ride to the beat! lol haven't used head phones for a while now as thet can be fair dangerous as you cant hear things coming from behind etc, especially when your on the road for a bit

pedalhead
    Free Member

What's your budget? Money no object, the JH Audio JH16Pro is about as good as it gets, although probably not advisable to wear something with custom (ie. Total) sealing on a bike. For less money, yep the Shures are nice, as are Phonak.

ex-pat
    Free Member

I don't
    I try and remember a song or two but always come back to

Mr Sandman

It's like a sound virus that song.
    😥

Worse when you think of 'that' film with it in.

theboatman
    Free Member

Budget… £100 or less….erm

I'm pretty happy with the phillips shs3200's which were less than a tenner 😳 perhaps the last 20 years of going to gigs has just trashed my hearing. They have quite happily survived 18 months of commuting in our lovely weather and still sound ok to me

Oddly, I only listen to music on my commute.

Northwind

Mine are some sort of cheapo JVC isolating phones. No doubt not as good as the Sennheiser equivalent but they cost a tenner and they do the job perfectly. Very good isolation, acceptable sound quality

(and just in case the "don't ride in headphones" debate does kick off- what do you do differently when you hear a car behind you? "Uh oh, a car, I'd better stop veering madly across the road!".)

grahamb
    Free Member

I find if i'm wearing headphones when riding on the road i actually pay more attention to whats going on around me.

Same if i'm walking & about to cross a road – i'll take an extra left/right look.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Same if i'm walking & about to cross a road – i'll take an extra left/right look.

sorry, how is this statement connected with your previous one? Being about to cross the road is like wearing headphones ?

grahamb
    Free Member

Badly worded … if i have headphones on, be it walking or riding, i tend to take a second look. Probably more so when walking as i tend to have the volume up.

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

i cant believe how much you spend on ear phones for your bike. i use" koss the plug" in ear buds there like a foam ear plug, give it a twiddle to make it small pop it in your ear and in expands filling in all the gaps.mind blowing bass and so cheap you'll think there crap.(but there not) or you could try the Denon AH-C551 Black,really nice sound .

Tim
    Free Member

Merchant-Banker – Member

i cant believe how much you spend on ear phones for your bike. i use" koss the plug" in ear buds there like a foam ear plug, give it a twiddle to make it small pop it in your ear and in expands filling in all the gaps.mind blowing bass and so cheap you'll think there crap.(but there not) or you could try the Denon AH-C551 Black,really nice sound .

The Koss ones look good – got some phillips ones but they arent that fab. Really crap wires as well which tangle and crimp easily.

Was going to get some skull candy ones…

elaineanne
    Free Member

i dont use any headfones…. sometimes you have to concentrate just alittle… also i don think you shud use them whilst on the actual road… 👿

Drac

Tim Amazon Full Metal Jacket ones for £30 from their trader section, the guy is spot on mine have been posted already.

Drac

also i don think you shud use them whilst on the actual road…

Well deaf people ride cycles too so can't see why I can't put headphones in.

Tim
    Free Member

Be interesting to see how good the amazon ones are at cutting out wind noise. I may allow you to test them 🙂

Drac

I can tell you as already had a set that I snapped last night getting ready. They have rubber covers on them come with a few different ones, these fit in snug and tight so you get no wind noise. It cut's out a lot of noise but I also have eyes which are far more effective for seeing cars then my ears.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Yuin PK3s here

Tim
    Free Member

I can tell you as already had a set that I snapped last night getting ready. They have rubber covers on them come with a few different ones, these fit in snug and tight so you get no wind noise.

Ah sorry – scan read this thread and didnt spot that first time

It cut's out a lot of noise but I also have eyes which are far more effective for seeing cars then my ears.

heh 🙂

Drac

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00139TXY6/ref=oss_product

That't them Modern Tech is the seller I used.

STJOHN
    Free Member

thanks folks certainly given me some options

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘What headphones are you using when riding???’ is closed to new replies.