Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What Hardtail MTB for £1000-£1200?
  • Ax3M4n
    Free Member

Further to a recent thread of mine, what Hardtails can you recommend?

Please could you keep your answers objective – I appreciate you will be happy with your particular bike – but it would be nice to know why.

It’s moon on a stick time. I am hoping to get the best “bang for buck” bike out there at this price range. I have been googling around – and I will find some spec which is good in one area, only to be let down completely in another e.g. Good Transmission, Totally shit Pants Forks.

Ideally I would like:-

– Decent Air Sprung 120mm Forks with Rebound adjust (FOX F32 would be great)
    – Decent rear Mech – Ideally Deore XT Shadow
    – Decent Front Mech – Ideally SLX or better
    – Decent Cranks – Ideally SLX or better
    – Decent Wheels & Hubs – Mid Range Quality.
    – Decent Hydraulic Disk Brakes – Mid Range Quality – Avid Juicy/Elixir
    – Decent Brand/Frame – Geometry/Strength biased for Trails not XC compromise.
    – Decent Overall Build weight – 28lbs or less

Finishing kit I’m not too fussed about, because I will probably replace/upgrade that stuff anyway.

I understand there will be some trade offs, but I don’t want massive disparities in quality or capability.

So it’s a big ask, but your real-life-not-marketing thoughts and experience will be very much appreciated.

Cheers

mboy
    Free Member

It’s a big ask to get everything you want for under £1200 without looking for last seasons models to be fair (which is where I’d start!). A couple of years ago, not a problem, but such has been the rise in price of bikes and components in the UK that everything has risen loads…

I’d take a look at something like the Genesis Core 40, or possibly the Latitude 10. One is alloy framed, one steel, both similar specs, both £1100. If you can up your budget slightly then they do more expensive componentry on the same frames for more money. FWIW, I’ve got a Genesis Altitude (The Latitude before it got rebranded) and I love it. OK, this is a subjective opinion, but I’ve compared it with many other hardtails (including a Cotic Soul) and I prefer it.

There is also the Whyte 901 Trail at £1149, if you don’t mind SRAM gears (personally I hate them, some people love them). Whyte hardtails always get highly recommended for their superb handling and lightweight when compared to rivals.

Or there’s always the ridiculously cheap On One 456 Carbon for £1199. If you like or even just don’t mind carbon, then it’s a steal! Good fork, SLX kit, Lightweight wheels etc. On paper it looks ace, though I’ve not ridden one to comment. Or you could buy a normal steel framed 456 with XT drivetrain for your £1199, or for £999 get the steel framed bike with the same spec as the carbon bike.

THIS would be where my money would go though, providing it fits (if you’re about 5ft 10 to 6ft 2ish it should be ideal)… It’s an 853 steel version of the Genesis frame, you’ve got a 20mm axled 120mm travel Rockshox Reba fork, Deore/SLX/XT gears and brakes, half decent own brand finishing kit. It’s the same frame as the one I ride, I love it, and the 853 steel saves 1/2lb or so over the 520, and also adds to the ride quality.

Whatever you get though, remember it’s much easier to upgrade components than it is a frame or fork. I’d always go for a better frame (the 853 Genesis in my opinion, or possibly the Carbon 456 if that takes your fancy) with cheaper bits, and upgrade the rest over time if needs be.

EDIT: JUST found THIS for £1200… Same frame, full XT kit, £1200… If you don’t mind “only” 9spd then it’s a top notch bike that will need no upgrading any time soon…

andyl
    Free Member

I’m with the above advice on carbon 456.

chunkymonkey1982
    Free Member

Why not just build your own bike up? for 1.2k you can buld up a really nice bike, much better then the stock bikes. Just keep an eye on the classifieds. Obviously this takes a bit of time… but if you want the moon on a stick…

did i read right…? spend 1.1k and get deore shifters/chainset?

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

mboy – that was a big grin reply – thanks 🙂

My hunt for 2010 bike “clearances” was were this started – for a mate. In that hunt, the 2010 Genesis Core 50 was a “close but no cigar” – seems we just missed the last few in the UK. Then I got some GAS, and figured I could afford/wanted a second bike – a hardtail. All the other bikes you mention float my boat and I will do some digging on those. I need to do some research on the forks – having tried coil and air – I definitely prefer air. Rockshox seem to do all their lower models (Reba, Recon) in coil or air – but at the point of sale it’s rarely specified which they are.

ChunkyMonkey – One problem I have is living in a block of flats, so no real fettling space. But besides, everywhere I read it says it’s more expensive to build from parts, than buy a whole. I don’t feel confident enough to enter the second hand parts market, simply because I wouldn’t know what’s serviceable and what’s guff. Long term though, I will start educating myself in this direction.

I’m still keeping my open for 2010 bargains.

druidh
    Free Member

Pity you want 120mm at the front, or a Cube LTD Race would have pretty much matched your requirements.

starsh78
    Free Member

– Decent Air Sprung 120mm Forks with Rebound adjust (FOX F32 would be great)
    – Decent rear Mech – Ideally Deore XT Shadow
    – Decent Front Mech – Ideally SLX or better
    – Decent Cranks – Ideally SLX or better
    – Decent Wheels & Hubs – Mid Range Quality.
    – Decent Hydraulic Disk Brakes – Mid Range Quality – Avid Juicy/Elixir
    – Decent Brand/Frame – Geometry/Strength biased for Trails not XC compromise.
    – Decent Overall Build weight – 28lbs or less

My cannondale flash is up for 1200, its immaculate,

2010 model medium
    fork is a lefty DLR air fork
    rear mech XTR
    Front mech SLX
    shifters XTR
    Crank Truvativ Stylo OCT bb30
    Wheels are Dt swiss lefty specific 390 hubs with XTR cassette
    brakes are elixir Cr mag carbon brakes
    weight for all this at the moment its 22.4lbs, now with the addition of all the bolts being replaced for titanium ones.

cost me 3500 to build

D

chakaping
    Free Member

The carbon 456 is a phenomenal bike, highly recommended.

Great geometry for what you want and amazingly light/fast/comfy.

winterfold
    Free Member

I paid £1199 for my 2010 Whyte 905 and that seems pretty close to what you want. I think the rear mech is SLX rather than XT but otherwise its what you’re after and its ~26lb so a bit lighter than you were hoping for.

thebunk

That XT Genesis build mboy linked to looks like an amazing deal to me…

edit – I think the “Race” versions of Rockshox forks are always air.

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

Thanks for the great replies.

I will have a trawl through these tonight. I do like the look of the Genesis’s and the Whyte’s. Carbon is still a bit of a black art for me – I’m being a bit of a luddite I know, but the thought of sudden failure still concerns me. Likewise with Cannondale’s proprietary suspension – Headshock Fatty, Lefty – I’d have to try them first.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I heart my Genesis (abyss) Shimano brakes and Rockshox are a better combo than Fox / Avids IMHO

5lab

if spec is a concern, I’d be looking at the Boardman range, £1000 will easily beat the spec on everything bar (maybe) forks

packer
    Free Member

Genesis 853 gets my vote.

101andy
    Free Member

I’ve just gone for a Genesis Core 40. Great piece of kit, really pleased. Only minor down side is the rubber – will be swapping out the Mountain King tyres shortly, little feeling and a bit unpredictable.

101andy
    Free Member

…or a real bargain for the 853 option

Genesis Altitude 20 2010
    Medium, Reynolds 853
    Was £1499.99
    Now only £999.99

http://www.cycle-heaven.co.uk/

Have seen this in the flesh and it is mint.

lil_john
    Free Member

there’s a marin blackline pro in northwest mtb centre. its too big for me :(, a large but it’s got an awesime spec. xt cranks, mech, rock shox sid forks, Al frame. i think it was £1150

moose2008
    Free Member

Can’t go wrong with on one for value and quality ride. E bay usually have a few. If you bought second hand you could use the saved cash to replace warn parts and upgrade. You can get some genuinely amazing second hand deals, some people have literally ridden a bike a couple of times and want to sell it.

Boxsters
    Free Member

I am selling a very nice spec 456 carbon on ebay at the moment. I have only just built it but am having to sell due to a flood 🙁

SOAP
    Free Member

My 456 £650 🙂

stephen131
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at the on one site and really temted with the carbon 456 really not sure wether i need a large or a medium frame though..

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What Hardtail MTB for £1000-£1200?’ is closed to new replies.