Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 175 total)
  • What do I pay my Licence fee for…?
  • highclimber
    Free Member

Just found out the F1 will be going to Sky next season. I hope the money not spent on the F1 goes on something better than Springwatch and Eastenders.

crikey
    Free Member

F1 is crap anyway, I’m glad the money is going elsewhere.

project
    Free Member

26 episodes of Torchwood.

lol

highclimber
    Free Member

You love kate humble, don’t you Crikey?

alexpalacefan

The best radio station (4)
    The best website
    GCSE bitesize
    great local radio
    unbiased reporting

do I need to go on?

APF

TuckerUK
    Free Member

unbiased reporting

Please tell me you said that tongue in cheek?

project
    Free Member

arent the bbc journalists on strike again today.

highclimber
    Free Member

i’ll give you the Radio4 comment but where is the money not going to bernie ecclestone actually going to?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

BBC Alba is great.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

it is a subjective topic for sure.

If you don’t watch BBC channels/listen to their radio channels etc why should you pay.

You can get pretty much the same content on free to air channels so why do we have to pay for a state one?

Personally I wouldn’t miss the bbc that much, I only really listen to the radio and with a dab in the car now I find I am listening to bbc channels less and less.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Easy target for single issue muppets.

One of the things of which the British can truly be proud. Try watching tv, listening to radio in most other countries and you’ll see just how good the beeb is.

crikey
    Free Member

F1…
    I know, lets have a car race, but let’s have the fastest driver setting off at the front…

Hmmm, I wonder who will win?

I’d rather watch Kate Humble than Bernie Ecclescake getting richer…

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

I suspect most of the money goes to line the pockets of talentless w***ers like Chris Moyles.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I suspect

Yeah, but you’re no Columbo.

Colin-T

Check-out the free TV channels in countries without the BBC.

Then think again about how the BBC elevates the quality mainstream broadcasting. Without it, everything would be dross or on Pay-per-view coswting significantly more per month than the BBC.

Also, perhaps the BBC news apears biased but compared to many others it is a shining beacon of impartiality.

martinhurton
    Free Member

“F1…
    I know, lets have a car race, but let’s have the fastest driver setting off at the front…

Hmmm, I wonder who will win?”

Obviously didn’t watch todays race then, because that sure didn’t happen!

I’m also saddened that the BBC are loosing the F1. They have superb coverage of it, and I don’t want to buy a sky box :o(

Mugboo

Any documentry by Michael Mosely

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

BBC websites?

crikey
    Free Member

Obviously didn’t watch todays race then because he doesn’t like F1.

It’s an easy fix.

highclimber
    Free Member

I dno’t want this thread to head off on an Anti-auntie tangent. I love the beeb im just annoyed that they’ve let F1 go to the antichrist

Edit: they could’ve sacked Chris Moyles to make up the difference.

mogsuncle
    Free Member

David Attenborough alone is worth the licence fee, but if you want more reasons – drama like Luther, Sherlock, and Silent Witness, coverage of The Proms and Glastonbury, BBC News, 6 Music, Zane Lowe on Radio 1, Radio 4, 5 Live, and what’s left of the F1 coverage which is some of the best sports broadcasting you’re likely to see. In fact most BBC sports coverage is in a different league to what you get from Sky, eg. Wimbledon, Olympics, football.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

They didn’t “let it go” FFS. This has already been done to death anyway, but if F1 wanted more people to watch, they’d leave it with the beeb. It’s not like they need the money is it? Truth is, F1 doesn’t really give two shits about you as a British viewer.

grahamh
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3q2iZuU5WM[/video]
    and to quote the man himself, “The BBC is like a bus, you buy a ticket, that does not mean you can dictate where the bus goes.”

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

F1 was a significant % of the total sports budget for the Beeb. Perhaps now they can spend a bit more on moinrity sports.

BBC scotland does quite a lot of MTB coverage on the adventure show – but does not have the budget to produce great coverage. A bit more budget might help.

jimc101
    Free Member

They need to find another £22 million for another new talent show

MSP

David Attenborough alone is worth the licence fee, but if you want more reasons – drama like Luther, Sherlock, and Silent Witness, coverage of The Proms and Glastonbury, BBC News, 6 Music, Zane Lowe on Radio 1, Radio 4, 5 Live, and what’s left of the F1 coverage which is some of the best sports broadcasting you’re likely to see. In fact most BBC sports coverage is in a different league to what you get from Sky, eg. Wimbledon, Olympics, football.

Agree with the david Attenborough comment, the rest is just nonsense the BBC drama somehow manages to be pretentious and childish at the same time, F1 is appalling, Jake whatshisname, Eddie and the jaw are dribbling drooling retards, the commentary is awful It would be better if they just showed the race and cut out all the extra crap. They ruined motogp and move it all over the place, every other sport seems to be presented by the horse women, who knows nothing about any sport that doesn’t involve tiny little men riding horses.
    RADIO 1, YOUR HAVING A LAUGH.

crikey
    Free Member

Stolen from the Daily Mash:

The world’s longest midlife crisis has spent the last 30 years somehow managing to convince people to gawp at a 200mph rollerskate that weighs less than your dinner and costs more than your house.

The deception has made him one of the world’s richest men under four foot tall and has been described by financial experts as ‘a sporting ponzi scheme with lots of big-titted blonde women milling around for no apparent reason’.
    Now Ecclestone has finally admitted that Formula One is not so much a spectacle as it is an unremitting procession of eye-clawing dreariness enjoyed by people who need to have a right good **** word with themselves.

He said: “Even if we make it rain spacehips onto the track every five minutes and tune the engines to sound like Kylie Minogue reaching a spectacular climax it’s still going to be like staring at a stretch of the M25 but with an even higher concentration of tedious men with too much money sitting in pointlessly expensive cars.

“You can carry on watching in the hope of a really good pile-up but you may as well watch Eastenders in the hope that Arthur comes out of his allotment shed with Dirty Den’s head on a stick.”

Earlier this year Ecclestone drew up a series of ideas to make the sport more exciting, including the use of agent provocateurs to provoke a revolution in Bahrain and then attempting to stage grand prix right in the middle of it.

But the plan was abandoned when a feasibility study showed motor racing was better at quelling unrest than a job-lot of tranquilser darts.

Ecclestone now hopes to spice up this year’s British grand prix by stopping it halfway through for a poetry reading by Sir Ian McKellen

RustySpanner

I do hope none of the people whinging about the loss of F1 voted Tory, Lib Dem or failed to vote at all.

mogsuncle
    Free Member

MSP – that certainly is an opinion!

On the whole you’re right about Radio, it is terrible. But I only singled out Zane’s show, and it’s the late night Radio 1 shows which give new, unusual music the stage it needs. I dread to think where British music would be if we only had commercial radio!

And you’re dead wrong about BBC drama. It has to entertain a wide audience so you’re never going to get high art, and it does what it does extremely well. But then maybe I’m just easily pleased.

4ags4
    Free Member

Its not completely gone to sky – the beeb are still showing half the races and the highlights of the rest

Junkyard
    Free Member

think its greatest strength is the fact it caters for everyone tastes. you get Moyles and you get clarkson and on the other hand you get Attenborough and Paxman.
    Celebrities dancing or Cox on the Universe.
    Total Wipeout or University Challenge.
    It its great IMHO though I do not like everything it does , no one will , that is what they should aim for.

I am not sure a commercial channel could do this – they certainly do not here.
    As for F1 I would have a word with Bernie and it is still on for 50% of the time and the rest is the full race just not live.
    Seems a reasonable compromise given the costs invloved.
    Unhappy speak to Bernie I am sure he will care about your concerns

boxfish
    Free Member

Sky will be showing the first half of every race, and the BBC the second half.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What about this then ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-14236938

I can only help the Jihadists as they relentlessly try to establish Eurabia. And they use the money from decent hard-working law-abiding folk, to propagate this dangerous extremism.

Lifer
    Free Member

There are more mentions of tyres in the coverage of a single F1 race than on the whole of this forum. I watched about 5 minutes today and they said it 247 times.

samuri
    Free Member

The BBC rocks. Go to other countries. Any other country, it really doesn’t matter. Watch their TV.

That’s all you need to do to see how good the BBC is.

As prime examples, might I suggest Germany and Spain as starting points. And probably America. No, start with America.

Sonner or later the BBC will go, and we’ll be like Americans then. Great. It’ll be like working in Detroit doing a job you hate during the day, and living in a Premier Inn at night.

Colin-T

Sonner or later the BBC will go, and we’ll be like Americans then. Great. It’ll be like working in Detroit doing a job you hate during the day, and living in a Premier Inn at night.

At least we’ll still have the NHS. [/irony]

inbred853

I pay for cable TV over here in the US, it has 100’s of channels, the local free TV is diabolical and the cable stuff not that much better.
    For my two cents worth, I can’t wait to get back home and watch some decent news & programs on the Beeb.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

what crikey said

toys19
    Free Member

what everyone said – in support of the beeb. Aside from the beebs greatness there is one very important issue you have all missed:

NO CLUCKING ADVERTS

It blows my mind that people pay sky for the privilege of being sold to.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 175 total)

The topic ‘What do I pay my Licence fee for…?’ is closed to new replies.