Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What cheap new road wheels?
  • ds3000
    Free Member

My Aksiums have finally given up the ghost – I’m now after a cheapish pair of wheels. So far I have narrowed it down to the following.

Shimano R500 – 70 quid

Shimano RS20 – 100 quid

DT Swiss R-1900 – 170 quid

Planet X Model C – 130 quid

Handbuilt Open Pros on 105 hubs – around 200 quid I reckon

Any experiences or further recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Hand builts

cynic-al
    Free Member

What are your priorities?

ds3000
    Free Member

They are to go on my Pompino and will be used on the daily 10 mile commute, occasional tours, cheeky off-road but nothing major at all (towpaths)

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Don’t go with the R500’s if you carry a bit of timber IME. Had two sets and the rear on both has come out of true and the second pair I had popped a spoke after a thousand miles or so. I was a lardy fecker though. Two lads in the club have got them and have had no issues. Both are whippets.

pullfaces
    Free Member

Another pair of Aksiums?
    They usually come out top in revues of that price range.
    Mavic Aksium Black Clincher Wheelset £171.00

cynic-al
    Free Member

How did your current ones go?

As I see it, 3 to 4 ideas:

1. Cheap and disposable…but heavy.
    2. Serviceable…105s built on to cheap rims, spares available for hub and rim.
    3. As above but lighter-open pros.
    4. The anti-shimano/cool brigade…something like what you have.

ds3000
    Free Member

My current aksiums have lasted 4 years of major abuse. The braking surfaces are very concave as a result of me not changing pads often enough. Maybe another pair would be a good bet, I’d be more conscientious this time.

I do like the idea of the Open-pros though, I imagine they’d be a fair bit lighter and certainly stiffer with 32 spokes.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I dont think they”ll be much lighter, they might be stiffer depending on the build. I would say they”d be much more reliable but you’ve had no issues with your aksiums.

cynic-al
    Free Member

The only way infrequent brake pad replacement can affect the rim is he it wears to the metal inside it which then scores the rim.

For handbuilt, arguably cheaper and thus heavier rims will last longer and be cheaper to replace.

RustySpanner

I got some Shimano RS30’s from Merlin about a year ago.

I’m a right fat knacker and they’ve been hammered on some pretty rough surfaces.

I only bought them because I couldn’t afford some new handbuilts, but they’ve really changed my mind about factory wheels.

Bit stiff and unforgiving but they’ve stayed true.

Another preconception blown away, happily.

ds3000
    Free Member

The only way infrequent brake pad replacement can affect the rim is he it wears to the metal inside it which then scores the rim.

Yep, not good I know.

Anyone had any dealings with the Planet X Model B or C?

epo-aholic
    Free Member

i’ll sell you my aksiums, brand new with tyres and tubes if required £150, less without rubber

email in profile 🙂

acsevens

I’ve had some Planet X Model C on my winter road / commuting bike for a couple of years now and have been impressed. Fairly light, and strong – I’m 15st + and they have stayed true after a quick tweak when they first arrived. Pretty cheap too from what I remember.

ds3000
    Free Member

epo-holic – could be interested, are they black?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d suggest handbuilt. I’ve just bought this lot;

Stans Alpha Rims: 700g pair £150 (CRC with £10 off)

Sokin hubs (ebay) : 288g pair £59 (best offer)

24+28 spokes : 364g (DT Rev, 7g each with nipple) £30 (rose bikes)

Total weight: ~1350g +QR’s (48g Ti KCNC, £40)
    Total cost: £280

OK it’s over your budget, but you could build Open Pro’s (about £40, 420g each)on the same hubs for <£200, or £160 without the QR’s and still be under 1550g even with shimano QR’s. Or going the other way, there are some even lighter (dati) hubs on ebay, but they’d add more to the cost and crucualy pass the £1/1g threshold I usualy set myself.

ds3000
    Free Member

Just found these bad boys.

Am I right in thinking that Dave Hinde is a little unreliable though?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What cheap new road wheels?’ is closed to new replies.