Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • What camera for the Tour Divide?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Small, good quality, wide angle lens and dustproofing a plus.

Either a m4/3 camera with the 17m fixed, or a compact of some kind I suppose. Not really up on compacts.

tang
    Free Member

I’ve got a Sony tx5 that tics all the boxes. Small, great panoramic stitching, burst mode for action and waterproof, dustproof and shock proof.

wwaswas

Maybe just a thread ‘What stuff for the Tour Divide’ and a list in there?

iDave
    Free Member

I’ve used an olympus stylus for years – waterproof, shockproof, has been lost in surf for half an hour – had some great results with it – only gripe is having to take a charger on trips, but i’m sure it would use a different system now.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Sounds like an excuse to buy a fujifilm x100.

midlifecrashes

I’d be trying to get all your electronics stuff chargeable by USB to save on carrying chargers. Then add a solar panel with USB output.

nedrapier

The “mind photo” camera would be lightest and quickest!

mrsgrips
    Free Member

depends when you’re doing the Tour Divide… in 5 years things will change you know

iDave
    Free Member

pwned 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

Dammit there’s Mrs Grips again…

The “mind photo” camera would be lightest and quickest!

Yeah images don’t reproduce very well though, and detail is lacking a bit.

We have an old Olympus compact that’s weather proof.. Could take that I suppose but it’s a bit crude.

mrsgrips
    Free Member

don’t get me wrong; you can do it whenever you like, but not really this year as we’re very busy…

I would also go with the O.Stylus -it’s basically the upgrade to the one we have which is also very durable, tho not so much dust friendly.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Mrsgrips… you seen how much it costs to do?? 😆

mrsgrips
    Free Member

and just remember I want a comfortable camper to ‘follow’ you in with the kids… 😉

and if you’re buying a new camera, camera bag, len(s), track bike…. I want that floor loom…so make sure you consider that in your money calculations 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Olympus make rugged/waterproof/dustproof comapcts but they don’t get good reviews…

Tsy, entry is free!

Honey your floor loom is in the budget don’t worry 🙂

pedalhead
    Free Member

There are at least a couple of us lurking round here who are planning on doing the 2012 TD. Personally, I’ve not gone into too much detail on the cost with my wife…ignorance is bliss 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Ok so is 2012 the STW TD year?

Won’t it clash with the Olympics?

mrsgrips
    Free Member

Money is no option (yet) 😉 After all, he’s the one that needs to work all the overtime/hours to make it work…
    And hell, it’s a long vacation for me too if he does it because where Mol goes in this world me and the Lil’s follow… 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Ooooh… now this is getting interesting!

[Tannoy] DirtyG to the forum. DirtyG [Tannoy]

pedalhead
    Free Member

TD is about a month before the Olympics.

miketually
    Free Member

Are you racing it, or touring it?

molgrips
    Free Member

Racing, I suppose. Although I know I’m not going to win, I want to set as good a time as I can.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Did you watch the video on it Mol?

molgrips
    Free Member

I have watched a few yes.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Cool… are they online anywhere?

molgrips
    Free Member

Dunno, can’t remember where the original vid was. If you google for it you’ll see loads of blogs, writeups and pics that will guaranteed make you want to do it!

miketually
    Free Member

Racing, I suppose. Although I know I’m not going to win, I want to set as good a time as I can.

So, will there be time for photos? 😉

The advice I’ve read on lights, etc. is to take stuff that runs on AAs, so you can stock up en route, not worry about charging and swap between devices as needed.

miketually
    Free Member

I’d love to do it one day, but if I do it’ll be an ITT not part of the group start. Partly for logistical reasons, but also because it seems to have got very full and very big in the last couple of years.

molgrips
    Free Member

So, will there be time for photos?

Yes, there will. That’s what the bar bag is for – so I can whip the camera out and snap without stopping 🙂

In all fairness, whilst it is a race it’s also a life experience so I definitely do not want to miss it by riding too hard.

Are people riding in the dark with lights then? Would be logistically difficult I feel. Surely anything that runs on AAs is going to be useless to ride with, and you might as well rely on moonlight.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Do you really think you’ll need / be able to ride in the dark if you’re already riding all day??

molgrips
    Free Member

Be able to – yes.

Need to – depends on what you want to achieve. I could see myself doing it some nights but not others.

pedalhead
    Free Member

I think most riders either stay over at motels often enough that they can recharge lights & other gear, or use one of those solar usb charger things.

iDave
    Free Member

*rising level of interest* 😐

molgrips
    Free Member

Personal interest, iDave?

pjt201
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

and

mrsgrips – Member
    And hell, it’s a long vacation for me too if he does it because where Mol goes in this world me and the Lil’s follow…

Are not compatible.

Rule 2

2. To complete the Route a rider may resupply food/equipment, rent a room, launder clothing, even service their bike at shops along the way. The intent is to ride unsupported between towns, and function self-supported when in towns. Any services utilized must always be commercially available to all challengers and not pre-arranged[1]. No private resupply, no private lodging.
    Tour Divide strives for ‘equal opportunity’ within the GC. Whether riding an individual time trial or tackling the grand départ, TD requires that every challenger—from those living along the route to those living on other continents—have an equal playing field. Therefore, outside assistance[2] with navigation, lodging or resupply (especially receipt of supplies from a non-commercial shipper) is prohibited. Visitation: Divide racing is not intended to be a spectator sport, however, route-town locals ONLY may visit with, cheer on thru-racers as they pass through their locale. Out-of-town visitation to the GDMBR mid-race from family or friends—even if only a remote possibility for rider rendezvous—is prohibited.

Unless of course you want to follow without seeing him. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

She’s not going to FOLLOW me in a pace car!

I read about one guy who lived near the route (in the old Great Divide Race) and his family came out to meet him – he said it was a massive mistake because he wanted so badly to go home with them…

pjt201
    Free Member

No, but from that even meeting up with you in towns etc would be possibly in breach of the rules.

I think you’re right though, it would definitely be easier not to see people you know on route. Saying that, having someone to pick you up from Antelope Wells seems like a good idea!

mrsgrips
    Free Member

I was thinking rather vaguely following the route and enjoying the ‘other’ scenery on the way and meeting him at the end…
    I’d not literally follow him; while he’s making love to his cycle I can enjoy some time with my family and then do some road-tripping with the kids and maybe one of their aunties. 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Mol – are you back for the 10th/11th July? Iron Mountain Sportive and the Devil’s Ride??

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm.. sadly not TSY… well unless something changes…

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘What camera for the Tour Divide?’ is closed to new replies.