Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • What BMX for an old(ish) man?
  • singletracksurfer

well not that old. 35. Just got my boy a BMX for his birthday and am going to the bmx tracks with him, so thought I’d hurt myself on one too maybe.

Heard about a bigger (24″?) wheeled version which I was thinking might be better suited to me (especially as I regularly ride a 29’er!!! mtb)

Anyone have any experience or advice? 🙂

Thanks.

p.s. yes I am expecting some to say don’t even go there, but my mind thinks it’s younger than my body, plus I’ve never had a bmx in my life and I can’t die that way (although I may die when I do finally get one).

singletracksurfer

do I take the lack of replies as a ‘don’t do it’? 🙁

deanfbm
    Free Member

What’s your budget?

If you go the 24″ route, there are race ones that don’t really ride all that great and like a BMX, but you can get some at the cheaper end of the market.

If you want a 242 and something that actually rides like a bmx look at this-

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sunday/model-c-2012-bmx-bike-ec032447?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

Or on the 20″ side of thins, you want something stable like this-

http://deluxebmx.com/product/2012-pro2-complete/

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    binners

I had a similar urge at about the same age. I bought myself a

GT Power Series 24″

Think I paid £150 off fleabay in immaculate nick. They’re bloody great fun for blatting about on. Though absolutely nackering! If you get a 20″, you’ll die!

Markie
    Free Member

Whichever one you lusted after as a kid. Provided its not one of the ones that now goes for crazy money.

binners

Markie – I always fancied a GT when I was a kid. I know they’re not the same any more but I couldn’t resist. All the original old school BMX’s now go for absolutely crazy money. Wish I’d never got rid of mine. Wilson Reynolds 501 frame, Landing Gear, Pro Class wheels etc 🙁

Pezzers
    Free Member

I am 38 and bought one last year for the same reason.

I found a GT interceptor 20in in a secondhand bike shop for £75 it was mint even with the original tyres.

Haven’t fallen of yet but be careful those little wheels aren’t as stable as you think!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

go for a 24 for sure. I’ve got a Haro 24 and it’s great fun.

there’s one on ebay at the moment with the same F&F (not mine btw)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HARO-24-CRUISER-BMX-BIKE-/180792178321?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item2a180db691

binners

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooo – lookee what I’ve found

Drool

kayak23

35? thought you said old?….
    I’m 38 and have a Stolen Sinner.

You really don’t need some halfway house between a bmx and a MTB, just go for it, ride it and you’ll be used to it within 7 minutes…
    Great fun, hard on the knees. Whats more, all the teenage bmx’er kids will really respect you when you turn up to ‘get rad’ along with them. At least, I THINK thats what they are saying when they point at me..

prezet
    Free Member

24″, or cruisers as they’re more commonly known as do tend to suit older riders better (bad backs, knackered knees etc :P). I’m 33 and ride 20″… feels odd to begin with, but you quickly get used to it. Been riding bmx for a couple of years now.

I see plenty of dads down our local track on cruisers with their kids. Its a great way to learn skills to add to your mtb riding like manuals, pumping etc.

singletracksurfer

I feel old 😉

Thanks people. A few people think 24″ wheels are a good choice then, great, thats what I was hoping for (I’m 6ft2″ as well and really wan’t sure how I’d handle a 20″ wheel). Kayak – are you saying keep it real with 20″?

mark_b
    Free Member

I brought a 26″ Maxmax as an alternative to riding a bmx – mainly due to my height as i thought the 20″ wheeled bike would be too small for a 6′ 7″ rider, but also as i’d won some nice Dmr wheels in a competition.

I’m 38 and love riding it at the local bmx and pump tracks, and sometimes i even take my kids along too 🙂

steezysix
    Free Member

Maybe have a look at a 4X/Dirt Jump style bike (DMR, Identiti, Specialized P, etc) – should be fun on the BMX track but would be good for use on trails too. Plus, it would have less of the “mid life crisis” look about it! 🙂

reggiegasket
    Free Member

24s are still quick steering – much quicker than a MTB feels.

_tom_
    Free Member

Spesh and giant bmxes actually seem to be some of the best value on completes – seem to be the few that actually come with full 4130 frames and 21″ top tubes without spending loads of money.

mark_b
    Free Member

24s are still quick steering – much quicker than a MTB feels.

Aren’t 4x/dirt jump frames built with steepish head angles to give them a quicker steering feel, to try and replicate bmx agility?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

To some extent but the Pro24 has a 73.3deg head angle

A 4X would be, what, 69deg?

That’s quite a big jump. First time I rode my 24 I couldn’t believe how quick it steered.

kudos100
    Free Member

I started off with a 24″ dj bike. I’ve recently moved on to a 20″ and am loving it. Probably could have jumped straight on a 20″ as I had no trouble adjusting to either.

As you are a wagon wheel rider, I’d probably go with a 24″ 😉

75 degree head angle and 20″ wheels are not very forgiving.

monksie
    Free Member

If anybody is looking for one, I have a 20″ wheel BMX for sale. £125. email in profile
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-bmx-complete-bike#post-3357008

unovolo
    Free Member

The only one I’d consider would be from “SE Bikes” makers of the PK ripper.
    24″ Floval Flyer
    http://www.sebikes.com/2012_flovalflyer.php

Or maybe a 26″ or 29″ jobby
    http://www.sebikes.com/retroseries.php

mamadirt
    Free Member

Hardly BMX but Winstanleys have an ex-display/demo SE 29er on sale at the mo’ – http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/46799/SE_Racing_Big_Ripper_29Inch_Bike_2011_Ex_Display . . . bet it’s not as much fun as a 20″er 😛

Listed as scratched and needing a new starnut but not much of a reduction. I keep an eye on their ex-display pages – some of their prices are waay off but earlier last year I picked up a new Subrosa Salvador BMX listed as scratched with missing pegs (like that’s gonna be a problem for me 😆 ) for £100. Scratches were easily retouched and damaged decals removed and I stripped it and sold it in parts on eBay – probably the only sales I’ve ever managed to make on.

jeb

DONT do it.

34 years old. Bought a GT bmx.

Practised 1 week.

Thought i was matt Hoffmann.

Did a lame trick, knocked my front tooth out.

Sold it. Never touched a bmx since.

They are lethal. 😯

singletracksurfer

I don’t think I’ll be attempting (m)any tricks.

thomthumb
    Free Member

has anyone mentioned size? bmxs come in sizes (surprising to some) measured by toptube. if you are a full height adult you’re probably in the 20.5″-21.5″ region. PROBABLY.

🙂 i’ve been browsing bmxs for a while. i think it might be time to buy soon…

theflatboy
    Free Member

get a set of these:

😆

edit – i see they have been mentioned already.

singletracksurfer

thanks everyone. am going to the shops (armed with some knowledge now) this weekend 🙂

Random
    Free Member

+1 support for the OP. In a similar position – BMX for my 40th or once I can manual, whichever comes first!

samuri
    Free Member

Childs bike in your late 30’s?

Go for it!

PJM1974
    Free Member

‘Spect to all of you here.

I’ll leave the launch-piloting to the kids.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

35 isn’t even close to old. 42 soon and ride this. 🙂

[/url][/img]
    Brew Pro XL with 21.25″ tt (i’m 5’10” with long arms)

At 6’2″ you’re gonna need some room up front, so at least 21″ tt, preferably longer, whether it’s a cruiser or a 20″.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

DSC06495 by http://www.sussex-mtb.com, on Flickr

I’m 43 and I race these……

Random
    Free Member

http://www.bikeguide.org/ – Best geeky guide to BMX geometry I’ve found.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

…at least big bars are back ‘in’ at the moment, as it won’t feel quite as weird swapping over like a few years ago when they were all 4″ narrower.

Slammed seats are a bit odd though, especially if you only ride xc usually and are used to having something between your legs.

Don’t bother with pegs, gyros or any of that nonsense. Front brake is debatable, no one really bothers having one (unless they do a lot of front wheel tricks) but it might be worth keeping it on for a little while if you haven’t ridden without before in case of panic/emergency grabs. 😕

If it’s just gonna be used at a track then get a race bike (alu or 4130) but if you think you might do some dirt jumping or street/park stuff then a long’ish trail/park frame will be stronger, if slightly heavier.

p.s. where are you based and where are you riding?

_tom_
    Free Member

Don’t bother with pegs

Why not? Long fast feeble grinds on low ledges are a staple part of bmxing for me 🙂

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Me too a few years ago, but he said he didnt want to hang it out much, but go to the track.

£350 for an Intense complete cruiser, if you want an mtb brand http://www.winstanleysbmx.com/product/36599/Intense_Race_Pro_24Inch_Bike_2011

or £320 for an SE Floval Flyer if you want a bmx history
    http://www.winstanleysbmx.com/product/37239/SE_Racing_Floval_Flyer_24Inch_Bike_2011

rusty-trowel
    Free Member
    mamadirt
    Free Member

Great link Random – cheers!

Since getting this at the beginning of the month . . .

. . . I’ve barely ridden my mtb and when I do it feels sluggish and the gears feel like a cop-out 😕 . I’m seriously thinking of stripping everything down, selling up and building myself a do-everything cruiser (or maybe even 20″er). Rode solely singlespeed for many years so I’m well-used to coping (if that’s the right word) without gears but a front brake might be useful for offroad stuff.

Briefly owned an Intense cruiser last year (the cheaper steel model) – lovely bikes.

More BMX pics please 😛

Vortexracing

Got one of these for the very same thing, was up at the BMX track yesterday, can’t believe how knackered i am 😳 It’s a real workout.

P1040345 by eastham_david, on Flickr

I know it neither 24″ or 20″ but seems to be great. The lack of any front suspension is going to take some getting used to.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Looks good!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘What BMX for an old(ish) man?’ is closed to new replies.