Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What bike for a 3yo?
  • Spud

Our lad is 3 next month and we’re looking at getting him a bike with pedals and brake to replace his Rothan. Are there any others to consider other than another Islabike?

theotherjonv

Ridgeback do some decent ones with an intermediate 14″ wheel size.

paul
    Free Member

Specialized hotrock! I bought one for my daughter its brilliant, just like daddys big specialized as she says.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dc2.0

We’re on our 4th Islabike – up to the 6 year old Beinn – with our eldest. Smaller models are still going strong with 2 younger siblings and the occaisional loan to friends (who inevitably also then buy islabikes). For no-fuss, no gimmick bikes that last, I don’t think you can go wrong.

StirlingCrispin

Thump (not quite 3yrs old) has a Norco bike and loves it.

No brakes but the bike is lighter as a result (unlike the Ridgeback, but his wee hands would be too small for brakes anyway). Thump just controls his speed by dragging his feet.

VassagoJay
    Free Member

Second the spesh Hotrock, great little bike and looks the part 🙂

theotherjonv

Trouble with the Spesh (and many others imo) is that they go from 12″ wheels up to 16″. My eldest got her first proper bike aged 3yrs 3 mo by which time she was already getting too big for a 12″ wheel but the 16″ was still quite a bit too big. Not many seem to do the 14″ which will fit her still for another year or so (she’s just 5 now)

Now we’re reaching that stage with #2; Who else (apart from Ridgeback and Isla) do this intermediate size?

geoffj

The Ridgeback 16 is great, I expect the 14 would be very good too. The problem with the Spesh (we have a Hotrock 12) is that it has a coaster brake, which can cause problems when learning to set off.

You wont go wrong with a Ridgeback.

SV1

Anyone on here got a Rothan going spare that they would be interested to sell? If so I’d be very interested

Thanks
    Simon

Spud

Not for a good while yet as my daughter is likely to have it next.

jonathan
    Free Member

but his wee hands would be too small for brakes anyway

The tiny Islabike brake lever is very impressive – no problems using it at 3 and a bit.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What bike for a 3yo?’ is closed to new replies.