Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What 29er HT frame for £500 max?
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

So, if you had £500 to spend on a 29er HT frame that you already had 100mm forks & Crests on Hopes for what would you buy.

Essentially used for XC & marathon events, single track thrashing and general riding around n’ that.

I’ve currently got a Chumba HX2, which comes in at around 2,4kg for the medium frame due to the EBB amongst other things, but fancy something lighter.

Cheers

drofluf
    Free Member

Singular Swift

steve_b77
    Free Member

Should’ve expected that to be fair, it’s definitely lighter – by a whole 100g’s!!

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Without doubt a Solaris. The geometry is perfect, not to steep or slack, it climbs really well, it’s lightish for a steel frame and I have had it out on numerous 5+ hour rides without feeling beat up after.

druidh
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Highball (the alloy one) would be on my list….

Santa Cruz Highball Alloy – First Ride

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Kinesis FF29?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Loving my Surly Karate Monkey myself. £139 over your budget but worth it. Tritton cycles knocking them out for £639 instead of a silly £1k for the whole bike.
    The KM has made me consider flogging my trusty 456ti for the 26″ wheeled KM version, the Troll.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Salsa Mamasita and I know where there’s one not too far from you and in your size to have a fettle with 8) .

steve_b77
    Free Member

This confuddles me every time you crop up Rorschach.

I do like the look of the FF29, but there’s none around in medium

Rorschach
    Free Member

Mutual friend….and I’m stalking you 8)

johnnystorm

Tomac Flint
    Lurcher

steve_b77
    Free Member

Fair play, can’t blame ya to be honest 😆

boxelder

Under budget, but a Scandal. ‘Raced’ mine for up to 11 hours comfortably and with fox 100mm and the same wheels, it handles Lakes rocks admirably.
    Having said that I fancy a Solaris, just because.

bol

I love my Solaris and would recommend it. Perfect all rounder at 100mm.

jet26
    Free Member
    jet26
    Free Member

See above!

icarus
    Free Member

No contest mate,get a Cotic Solaris,it’s the best bike i’ve ever owned(and there’s been a few!)

gee
    Free Member

If you want something light… Mamasita.

The Solaris is a lot cooler though. The Salsa ‘version’ is the El Mariachi which also has swinging dropouts so it can be run SS.

GB

steve_b77
    Free Member

I doubt the solaris is ‘cooler’ just more ‘on trend’ with the STW populous.

I like them salsa thingies

bigsi
    Free Member

ScandAL – Got an XL without a silly light build & it still only weighs in at 25lb 😯

The Pipedream Skookum 29er looks ace & at only £395 for an 853 frame set it soulnds like a bargain.

Oh & will everyone please STOP posting pics & talking about the Solaris…. I’m trying VERY hard to resist at the moment

Upgrade are showing stock of the Grey & Black FF29 in medium 😉

gee
    Free Member

I just prefer the colour of the Solaris, which is what I’ve got a 2010 El Mar not a new one! It’s pretty much the same blue as that Solaris.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Say for example I went for a new Scandal – they’re silly cheap to be honest – is there going to much difference in ride quality between that and one of them Salsa things or say a Niner EMD?

wwaswas

Kinesis FF29 +1

khani
    Free Member

I’ve just built up a new el mariachi, came from a Gary fisher xcaliber which was lighter but very stiff, verging on harsh after a few hours riding, early days yet but the salsa seems much comfier, while still being a singletrack whippet 😀
    Triton cycles near Epping had some good deals on the salsa frames not long ago…
    2012 mariachi 2 frame
    And they’ve got the pre 2012 frames for £399, different sizing on those through, new ones are 17-19-21, old ones are 18-20-22 with a normal headtube not semi integrated

druidh
    Free Member

khani – what sort of build/weight is the El Mariachi coming in at?

khani
    Free Member

Mines a 19inch L
    Fox f29 100mm
    hope pro2 sp on crests,
    9sp 770xtr/ cranks,
    xo, rear mech and shifters,
    Xt front mech
    hope mono minis 180-160, braided and floating..
    use sumo carbon post,
    Fsa os140 90mm stem
    answer protaper carbon bars, 720×12
    wtb prowler 2.1’s tubeless,
    sdg bel air ti saddle,
    time atac pedals,
    yeti loc on grips, hope bar end caps and an ass saver.. 😀
    Lbs scales of truth say 27.18llb with pedals

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What 29er HT frame for £500 max?’ is closed to new replies.