Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Watery eyes when riding?
  • druidh
    Free Member

It seems that no matter what I try, my eyes water as soon as I get up any speed. I’ve tried various glasses, with the Oakley Half Jacket XLJs being the best option so far. It also means I can’t consider contact lenses for riding.

It’s really frustrating; do a bit of a climb, start downhill and then I’m blinking my way down, trying to get visibility, though once past the initial watering, it’s not so bad.

Does anyone else suffer from this?

I’ve started to consider some form of goggles, but they all look a bit “gnarr” for XC riding 🙂

pinches
    Free Member
    Stoner
    Free Member

Does anyone else suffer from this?

yes,
    blink more.

I treat blinking a bit like windscreen wiping.

epicyclo

I get it too.

I arrive at the bottom of a hill near the start of my ride looking like someone who has just been given devastating news – sort of like a SS rider being told gears and suspension were invented years ago.

Usually combined with snot monster nostrils…. 🙁

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP we all know you’re a bit of a **** rider – just practise more and you won’t feel the need to cry about it 😉

mintimperial

Yep, I get this, but less than I used to. My Rx Oakleys help a lot, so I have to be really blatting along for it to happen now. Cold air makes it worse, so I get it more in winter. I just blink loads when they start.

I remember reading an article by a mountain bike photographer (I forget the name) who said that one reason that taking pics of really good riders was quite difficult was that they always blink loads at speed, so he always ended up with loads of shots with the riders’ eyes shut. At least we’re in good company…

gooner69

Druid, do you get it on windy days when you are out walking etc?

coatesy
    Free Member

Used to, stopped mine by using Oakley M-Frames with Heater lenses, lots of wrap-around, lots of depth, and unfortunately, lots of money too.

Top.Dog
    Free Member

eye drops help

i beleive it is caused because your eyes are too dry, and the wind drys them further.

glasses won’t really help

mlke
    Free Member

you may have blocked tear drops – infection?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I get it al the time, bolle safety glasses work for me

druidh
    Free Member

Blinking lots helps, it’s always that first couple of hundred metres that I’m “flying blind”. I’d say that I do suffer more than most from watery eyes and it’s been that way “forever”. I get it (in winter) when out walking too, but that’s a bit less dangerous as I generally tend to be travelling slower 🙂

I’ve been looking at goggles that would fit over my regular prescription specs, cos trying out different glasses is expensive when you need prescription lenses.

CaptJon
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    I get it al the time, bolle safety glasses work for me

That doesn’t make sense.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

capt – unless I have the glasses on I get it, put the glasses on it goes away.

Druidh – can you use disposable contacts under non prescription glasses to see if it works?

druidh
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Druidh – can you use disposable contacts under non prescription glasses to see if it works?

I reckon that’s a way forward. I could just get a months worth of lenses.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Watery eyes when riding?’ is closed to new replies.