Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Waterproof gloves, they lied, advice please
  • matt_outandabout

Strikes are poopy – had a pair and they are not really waterproof, not really warm and not really breathable, the tag to take em on and off with is too small, don't go up your wrists far enough and the velcro is impossible to undo with gloves on(doh!)

Having said that I have resorted to huuge winter mitts for really cold days, stripping out the fleece liner and using them as 'bags' on wet days.

And I do not put much store in Gore or Event. I am fast becoming a fan of Paramo after a winters commuting/walking/sailing/paddling and loving outside. Please can someone make some really nice bike kit in their fabric?

devs
    Free Member

"Army" gloves are crap. Got some impact gloves from some yank counterparts whilst working with them for a while, they're ok but I've never used them as waterproofs so I don't know on that score. I go from Aldi winter gloves straight onto fingerless mitts. Never found the need for an inbetween glove but I never seem to get cold hands anyway.

user-removed
    Free Member

This winter I've been using a pair of Reusch waterproofed leather ski gloves – probably horribly expensive to buy, but mine came out of the unclaimed lost property box at the dry slope where I do the odd day or two 😮

They've been brilliant – yes they do get a bit wet (probably sweat) inside, but the inners don't rumple up in the way of some other gloves, so you can get them on again without a ten minute fight.

I get really cold hands, very quickly – maybe due to smoking? So they've been a Godsend – clart some money on top end ski gloves if you want to stay warm….

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

A waterproof garment is designed to be used at atmospheric pressure.
    The hydrostatic head of a garment is based on a static model being showered with pressurised water.
    This bears no relation to when a waterproof garment allows water to permeate the membrane.
    I've worked with waterproof/breathable garments since 1988. At first in the golf industry, and currently in cycling.
    I own a 10 year old golf suit which still retains it's waterproof characteristics despite being sold with only a 2 year warranty.
    And I've cycled, played golf, walked into rally stages and spectated for 4 hours or so, and I've rarely had water come through the suit.
    That's because I've looked after my suit. Constantly renewing the DWR coating that repels the water molecules.
    Buy the best you can afford and look after it.

aikon
    Free Member

Trouble is most waterproof gloves are are made of 3 bits,
    1, The outer fabric which is coated to make it shower resistant
    2, A waterproof PU liner which builds up condensation on the inside
    3, A fleecy liner which isolates you from the condensation on the PU

When you've ridden in them for a while the inner fleece becomes saturated with your sweat, combine this with the coating deteriorating on the outer & the outer then absorbing water & you think your heavy, sodden gloves are leaking.

The solution is to re-treat the outer frequently & if you want to ride for longer than the glove liner can absorb your sweat for, buy a glove that uses a lattice waterproof liner instead of PU, they don't buildup condensation. Both eVent & Goretex fit the bill.

My Goretex gloves lasted 12 years before I ripped them. They cost £50, 15 years ago.

A quick search of Google shows up a couple of likely candidates
    RAB eVent glove
    Goretex glove

HansRey

if it's really wet, get some wet-gloves (as in surfing), with a 1-2mm thickness. They're warm, but not so windproof.

Burls72
    Free Member

This bears no relation to when a waterproof garment allows water to permeate the membrane.

??????? Don't you mean the hydrostatic head test bears no relation to breathability as this is due to atmospheric pressure as you correctly stated?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

MrSalmon – Minimum hydrostatic test results to be classed as waterproof in the uk is 1500mm which is a guide line as often different diameter tubes are used by different testing companies.

All garments sold in the UK that state they are waterproof have had to meet the British Standard of 3 PSI, which is approx 1,500mm of pressure. Falling rain generates about 2 PSI (approx 1,000mm), however an 84kg person can generate about 8 PSI (4,000mm) when sitting and 16 PSI (approx 8,000mm) when kneeling, so your bargain waterproof may not be as waterproof as you think!

Taken from the how waterproof is waterproof section half way down
    http://www.planetfear.com/articles/Buyers_Guide_to_Waterproof_and_Breathable_Clothing_887.html

Even if you take their examples of the pressures needed as being slightly out you still don't need a lot of pressure to penetrate a waterproof membrane. I don't know it all by a long way but I do know more than most as i've had training off numerous outdoor clothing manufactures mainly on waterproof clothing due to a job. A lot of what people think when these types of threads start is completely wrong, which isn't ment to knock anybody, I didn't know any better until it was explained to me.

OK, it's unlikely for a 'proper' waterproof- that same article recommends a minimum of 10,000-20,000, and 3 layer Goretex is supposedly 45,000. So assuming decent kit I'd still say that in reality water being forced through the fabric is pretty unlikely.

elaineanne
    Free Member

i got some Gore-bike wear gloves for the winter and im glad i did..my fingers were warm as toastie…quite expensive 'forty quid'…..but im happy with mine…. just me toes that seem to get frostbite in winter.. even with wooly socks on…lol

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof gloves, they lied, advice please’ is closed to new replies.