• This topic has 63 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by pdub.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Watendlath TV
  • Max
    Free Member

Bored? Descend Watendlath, without moving from your sofa! Click here

scaredypants

weird, i’ve ridden that half a dozen times but don’t recognise half of it (same with the other vid posted last week)

nice vid though – not often you can actually see the trail in front instead of a front wheel

Max
    Free Member

Different day, different trail maybe. And thanks – I’m sure the wide angle lens helped somewhat.

Max
    Free Member

Just found the great video you talked about from last week – sorry to repeat the same trail! Looks like a nice day in that one

Max
    Free Member

… if a little icy

boxelder

You were ruled by that sheep to the second gate!

I was thinking the trail looked different too, until I slowed the film to half speed, then it looked right.

Max
    Free Member

Ha – indeed! Took the corner well, didn’t it! I think it was waiting there just to dish out a lesson in Respect

scaredypants

I was thinking the trail looked different too, until I slowed the film to half speed, then it looked right.

😳 🙁

boxelder

Nicely filmed (and ridden – I’ve never tried that far right on the steep bit).
    I particularly liked the tracking shots with their echoes of David Lean’s ‘Lawrence of Arabia’, and the distinctive sound of hail ricocheting off a helmet.

Max
    Free Member

Thanks. Did you catch the girly whoop over one of the first of the gutters at the top? No? Good, I got away with it

MrNutt
    Free Member

cracking trail, good vid, like the hail too! 🙂

scaredypants

so then, bash fans – does anyone ride right up the climb to the start of that vid

don’t think I’ve ever got half* way up it

<cough100yds>

Max
    Free Member

Still not cracked all of it, all at once. Much props to thems that can

scaredypants

I’ve a 50:50 chance of “adjusting my pack/helmet/gears” even up the road climb to there, if we’re totally honest

Max
    Free Member

Now with added Honister singletrack and Castle Crag sections

rolymo
    Free Member

top vids max.

i thought you only came out at night – did the sunlight hurt your eyes ?

Richyb
    Free Member

You seemed to miss out the steep technical section? is that because you went right at that gate?

You missed the best bit!

Max
    Free Member

Nope

Max
    Free Member

err, meaning that’s where the bridleway goes down to Rosthwaite, and I don’t remember missing anything out. If only I had video evidence! ;-D

crazy-legs

so then, bash fans – does anyone ride right up the climb to the start of that vid
    I’ve never even heard of anyone making it. Most climbs (Jacobs Ladder in the Peaks being the prime example) everyone knows someone who claims to have done it. I’ve never heard any such boasting about that one. God knows how many times I’ve attempted it, that’s one of my all-time favourite rides. Never made it more than about 1/2 way without dabbing.

djglover
    Free Member

good vid, love that descent

Richyb
    Free Member

You should have stayed straight on instead of going right through that 3 bar gate. The steepest most technical bit is just round that corner!

Max
    Free Member

I’m a little confused. The main Watendlath to Rosthwaite bridleway goes through that 3 bar gate, and so did I. Describe the bit that is just round that corner?

Richyb
    Free Member

Steep with full compression step downs and no obvious line.

Have a look at the map watendlath

going through the gate takes you down the left fork, whereas staying straight on takes you down toward Hazel Bank. Its quality.

Richyb
    Free Member

Found a pic of it

scaredypants

I reckon there’s probably 3 kosher (as in obvious route rather than not-footpath as I’ve no idea about that). I’ve definitely done 2. They’ve all been great.

I wondered if that was why none of the vids looked familiar?

scaredypants

W,T,Fing,F are those tyres ?????

Richyb
    Free Member

Lord only knows, I just googled it.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Isn’t that picture the section Max is dropping down from 0.55 to 1.20 ?

Richyb
    Free Member

No definitely not, its much steeper than that, and is basically the last bit of the descent usually.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Then the track turns left and you come to the gate (on your right) for Frith Woods ?

Max
    Free Member

Yep parkedtiger, that’s it

anc
    Free Member

Max is on the section your photo shows at 1.15 defo.

Richyb
    Free Member

He completely categorically definitely isn’t.

Good grief this is a famously technical lakeland descent, does any of max’s video look technical?

anc
    Free Member

Speeds your friend and the camera always makes it look less steep/technical than it actually is.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Not wanting to wave Max’s willy Richyb, (least not without rubber gloves :?…would that get me some freebies if I pop down to the shop tomorrow..on second thoughts, no :-)), I think he’s just gone down so quick you don’t notice and the vid flattens it out a bit. I have to pick my way down there like a normal human. It’s the section on the vid from crossing the stream until you see the sheep.

Richyb
    Free Member

The technical section is the bottom of the route, it flattens out and you’re at a track in the bottom of the valley almost immediately after it, you certainly don’t have another 2 minutes of decsending and a gate to go through. I’m amazed no body has backed me up on this. Have a look at the map I posted above, there are two distinct bridleways towards rosthwaite, look at the contour lines on each.

anc
    Free Member

Max is on the bridleway to Hazel Bank, the other option to firth woods forks off at the hole in the wall 1.30’sh on the video. Thats where the bridleways split on the map. Do you mean the footpath section above Hazel bank??

parkedtiger
    Free Member

On the map, the split in the bridleway at ‘Resting Stones’ is the end of the steep section in your photo. The left fork (looking down in a map view) takes you down through Frith Wood to Borrowdale Road; the right fork is the rest of the vid. Do you mean the footpath down to Hazel Bank maybe ?

Richyb
    Free Member

If he’s on the bridleway to Hazel bank at 1.25ish how do you explain the next 2minutes 10 of descending?

Honestly if you’d ridden it you’d know, its not on his video.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Watendlath TV’ is closed to new replies.