Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Vw Transporter – Bike Rack recommendations please
  • fannybaws
    Free Member

Hi

Can anyone recommend a bike rack for a T5.1 tailgate. What have you got that you like? Non Tow Bar please.

Cheers

Stoner
    Free Member

I have a fiamma…which is on its last legs.

Had it loaded with 2 adult bikes, 14Kg trailer and Jr’s Islabike and when I bottomed-out a bit on a level crossing the arms bent a bit. There’s also signs of fatigue on other tubular members of the rack.

It’s getting on a bit and lives on the back of the van all the time. The strap ratchets are chromed plastic and corrode badly making it a pig to do up straps. The strap arms are good for adjustability. Obviously you cant open tailgate when fitted.

I shall use mine for the rest of the year as it wont carry more than a bike or two, but before next year’s trip to the continent fully laden I shall replace with a tow bar mounted one that can drop out of the way of the way of the tailgate.

PS you will need to fit uprated gas rams to the boot lift if you wan it to opent with the empty rack fitted.

meribelmtb
    Free Member

We’ve got one VWs own brand tail gate ones for our T5. Can fit 4 bikes but 4 full suss rigs can be a bit of a jigsaw to fit on depending on how the rear can is fitted, sizes and angles etc but is normally feasible.

It looks like it will come off pretty easily if required but we haven’t tried it yet.

Hope that helps

Andy

honourablegeorge

Single or double door?

Stoner
    Free Member

Single or double door?

tailgate = single no?

fannybaws
    Free Member

thanks all, yes tailgate so single i guess.

anyone tried an atera?

DaveRambo

Why not a towbar one ?

I’ve just switched from a rear mounted one to a towbar and got an Atera one. it tilts away from the car so you can open the tailgate (I guess not an issue on a transporter) is far more secure and takes 4 bikes.

rugbydick

Why get a Transporter and put the bikes outside? (Unless it’s a camper, in which case, ignore me and carry on)

I just picked up my T5 shuttle this weekend and will be spending the next few weeks manufacturing some kind of bike rack to go in the back.

My ultimate aim is to have 5 people and 5 bikes in the back with minimal taking off of wheels.

I’ll post some pictures when it all comes together.

chrisdb
    Free Member

Reckon a tilting tow bar mounted job is the easiest solution and best for the bikes.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I’m not sure I’d want the weight of 5 bikes on the hinges. That many must surely be a tow bar mount to the chassis. We had on our T4 a bike carrier but for us shorties getting bike safely up onto the carrier was sometime a strain, especially if they started to misbehave after a long ride.
    Much happier with the Ball mount.

fannybaws
    Free Member

thanks all.

i’ll probably get a tow bar fitted at some point but it will usually be needed to tow. Only need to get 2 bikes and some kiddie stuff on the rack so i am not too worried about the weight.

the vw one looks the tidiest but its expensive.

Cheers

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Vw Transporter – Bike Rack recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.