• This topic has 64 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by timc.
Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Violence is not always the answer
  • nealglover
    Free Member

coogan – Member
    I really couldn’t care what you think. I think he did, that was I was saying.

That’s nice.

Is anyone else supposed to care what you think ?

Or is it a one way street.

nealglover
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member

Nealglover- I’ve had worse than that off my mates sister when we were kids !!!![/Quote]

You still fancied her though din’t you?
    Dirty little bastid…

Sure did :mrgreen:

Think that’s maybe why she was always beating the crap out of me ?!

timc
    Free Member

seosamh77 – Member
    Cause I wouldn’t buy it otherwise.

That doesn’t answer the direct question though does it? in fact i’m not sure it even makes sense

seosamh77 – Member
    It’s not lost revenue to the record companies. Same with films if they weren’t on the interweb, I’d probably see an awful lot less films.

So how is it not lost revenue, explanation please.

I suspect we are about to open a can of worms here where you think everything is the same when intact it is very different.

nonk
    Free Member

many many industries are changing fast due to the interweb.
    you can either moan like fek or try to move with it.

seosamh77
    Free Member

timc.

Not really, as I’m not getting into it as i think my previous post explains perfectly well, and we’re way off topic. Lets just say you aren’t going to convince me of the evils of free downloads.

Embrace it, offer everything free and make you’re money off advertising or something, as it’s not going away. Get creative.

Not as if music will disappear if record companies go bust, so no skin off my nose, adapt or die..10 years and all you can come up with is more contrived DRM, try harder.

timc
    Free Member

nonk – Member
    many many industries are changing fast due to the interweb.
    you can either moan like fek or try to move with it.

I’Im not moaning about the situation of illegal downloads, i except it, I have done for a very long time.

I was simply implying DS was steeling music, he denied it, and this nonsense prevailed. Also the fact he seems to totally disregard the job done by people who work within the music industries, without actually knowing anything.

However, this still doesn’t answer the question of how professional musicians, lets say songwriters, can make a living by giving music away for free…

nonk
    Free Member

i know but why bother with one when you know there is thousands of em?

timc
    Free Member

seosamh77 – Member
    Embrace it, offer everything free and make you’re money off advertising or something, as it’s not going away. Get creative.

so give the music away for free and make money from advertising, so how do the songwriters, producers, artist make any money?

how do you recoup the costs of making a record popular so that it commands advertising revenue?

timc
    Free Member

nonk – Member
    i know but why bother with one when you know there is thousands of em?

STW init, you read what some divvy has to say & go crazy 8)

nonk
    Free Member

how do you recoup the costs of making a record popular so that it commands advertising revenue?

in all honesty i was hoping that you had the answer to that. 🙁

i dont see the current situ changing.

user-removed
    Free Member

Given that this thread has gone so badly OT….

Got to agree (mostly) with timc here. Clients occasionally ask me why I charge so much for one day’s work (as a wedding photographer). It’s almost impossible to make them understand the underlying costs; time – my time – it must be worth something; going back and forth to the client’s house to discuss their upcoming nuptials, returning after the wedding to discuss album choices, a whole day of editing their images, followed by another whole day of processing them.

Time. Again. The time it takes to market my business; Facebook, registering with every single bridal directory, networking, album design, dealing with emails from not just the client, but also their families. Hours spent Googling for the best suppliers of clamshell tins for my clients’ DVDs or perhaps local wedding fairs.

Time; my time. Five years in uni and college learning my craft, followed by another year of carting photographers’ bags about and making tea. Time.

And that’s all before I’ve spent a penny on advertising, hardware (£1000s worth of gear), software, computers, suits, transport, sample albums, education (by Thor that was the dear bit), websites, insurance, ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

nonk
    Free Member

we all have our axe to grind though thats all i am saying.

just about every job going has a similar angle.

user-removed
    Free Member

Fair enough – the cheese moves and those without the nose to smell it and follow it starve! Only tonight I saw a whole gallery of websized images (watermarked, natch) on a client’s Facebook page. She had a cost-price shoot for her pampered pooch – my hope was that she’d come back and buy some prints / products. She didn’t – she got her web-savvy son to nick the images from my website 🙁

They’re all right-click protected, but only in a very basic way.

nonk
    Free Member

yup that would wind me up.

alpin
    Free Member

carried a chib

a what?

I’Im not moaning about the situation of illegal downloads, i except it, I have done for a very long time.

accept

PJM1974
    Free Member

I have very mixed feelings when it comes to the music industry. On one hand, theft is theft and it’s hardly fair that the record companies invest in music, pay the production and CD pressing costs etc but half of the listeners download it for free.

On the other hand, it wasn’t so long ago that they were guilty of grossly inflating the prices of CD albums and they refused to heed the warnings of consumers who thought that an album which retailed at £12.99 but only cost £2.49 to make. We’ve seen obscene levels of corporate greed in the music industry and I think most people would consider their current woes to be little more than schadenfreude.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Dun Simon and timc need to get a room.

This has gone from a staged punchup to a snoozy bitchfight about copyright in less than 6 posts. And then the photgraphers wade in.

If it’s on the web, it’s free.

Poor show if you can’t adapt to this.

alpin
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjjNJt-r0ZA&feature=related[/video]

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I wanted to talk about shoes. And Pritt sticks.

DezB
    Free Member

Odd to me that you’re not allowed to link to a video of a pole dancer, but a chubby “bro” getting punched in the face and kicked while he’s down is acceptable. Weird.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

Youtube obviously has the same policy. No sex, but violence is fine.

Strange indeed.

DezB
    Free Member

The pole dancer videos aren’t even sex (otherwise I might actually be interested in them!)

Junkyard
    Free Member

Cause I wouldn’t buy it otherwise.
    That doesn’t answer the direct question though does it? in fact i’m not sure it even makes sense

I think the point is if you would not buy it you have not lost any revenue – if my mate lends me a dvd or a CD I would not buy and I listen to/ watch it – what is the revenue stream the music industry has just lost ?

seosamh77 – Member
    It’s not lost revenue to the record companies. Same with films if they weren’t on the interweb, I’d probably see an awful lot less films.
    So how is it not lost revenue, explanation please.

as above and imagine I hypothetically had Memory map – would I ever buy it – god no at that price– they have lost nothing though I can see why they are cross that I may get use without paying them but in reality they would not have got my money.

I was simply implying DS was steeling music, he denied it, and this nonsense prevailed. Also the fact he seems to totally disregard the job done by people who work within the music industries, without actually knowing anything.
    However, this still doesn’t answer the question of how professional musicians, lets say songwriters, can make a living by giving music away for free…

Why not charge stupidly large sums of money to see artists live? – are you sure you are in the industry if you have not noticed this shift?
    you will not generate much symapothy as I assume you want pooor folk to feel sorry for millionaiires…I iwsh you luck with that

Music piracy has existed since the record surely – bootleg Vinyl – did they not say tapes would kill the industry , then CD burning etc

timc
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member
    Why not charge stupidly large sums of money to see artists live? – are you sure you are in the industry if you have not noticed this shift?

Your referring to the worlds biggest artist’s, the top few percent, not the majority…

Junkyard – Member
    you will not generate much symapothy as I assume you want pooor folk to feel sorry for millionaiires…I iwsh you luck with that

i thought you were smarter than that tbh, i can’t even be bothered to go on…

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Violence is not always the answer’ is closed to new replies.