Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • UST/ tubeless tyre pressures.
  • MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

First race this weekend running UST tyres and interested to know what tyre pressures you run. Knowing what weight you are might help too.

I’m 71kg’s and the last tubes race I entered I ran tubed Schwalbe NN’s with 35psi and they, and I hated the roots. Now hoping to run sub 30psi on Racing Raplhs.

Sound okay and will I be able to go even lower.

Race series is the Southern xc btw.

As always, thoughts and experiences will be greatly appreciated. MM

chiefgrooveguru

Stans recommend double your weight in stone, minus one for the front and plus two for the back, as a starting point for tubeless pressures. Works for me though I’d go harder as it gets properly dry.

fivespot
    Free Member

I’m 92kg and run std. tyres tubeless, never go over 23psi F or 33psi R.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Nobby

chiefgrooveguru – Member
    Stans recommend double your weight in stone, minus one for the front and plus two for the back, as a starting point for tubeless pressures. Works for me though I’d go harder as it gets properly dry.

Sounds about right.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Stans recommend double your weight in stone, minus one for the front and plus two for the back, as a starting point for tubeless pressures

For me that would be 21psi F & 24psi B. Think I will start at 25psi F and 28 B and see how it feels.

Thanks all. 😀

Haze

That’ll be 20 and 23 for me then, currently running at 30.

Would this also be a good starting point for non-tubeless rims, XC717’s for example?

chiefgrooveguru

Well Stans are American so I imagine the resulting pressures from that calculation tend to be somewhat higher! 😉

chiefgrooveguru

Or should that include your bike, Camelbak, et al?

elliptic
    Free Member

Gives 21 / 24 for me which is pretty much exactly what I’ve always run for years…but that’s with nice fat 2.35″ tires, you’d want a bit more in RR’s I’d have thought.

I do dent the rims occasionally and you have to keep a close eye on the pressure, if they leak just a little bit for whatever reason things get very weird and sketchy.

rondo101
    Free Member

For me that would be 21psi F & 24psi B. Think I will start at 25psi F and 28 B and see how it feels.

I’m the same weight as you & run 20psi front (2.35 UST HR on Stan’s Crest) and 22psi rear (2.1 UST advantage on Stan’s Arch) without any problems.

winrya
    Free Member

I started with 35psi to gain confidence as I was scared of burping but after each ride I’ve dropped lower and lower. Currently sat at 23psi up front but still run 30psi at the back. Too much pressure I found ruined the front end on my bike, on the back I prefer a bit more pressure As I long the more connected feel it gives

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

20 psi front 25 psi rear in winter, bit more summer. Ardent or HR front/rear.

mboy
    Free Member

Really? 😕

Even with tyres with paper thin sidewalls such as Schwalbe’s?

That would be 22psi front and 25psi rear! I currently run 32psi front and 35psi rear in a Bonty XR4 and a UST Rubber Queen.

I’d have to have new rims after every ride if I rode with that little pressure in my tyres, and I run substantially beefier tyres than Schwalbe.

Is Mr. Stans trying to say I have no finesse and should learn some, or is he saying that I ride rougher terrain than his products are designed for?

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Depends how fast you ride and type of terrain. The faster you corner on flat turns the greater chance of rolling the tyre. The more rocks the more chance of rim dings

GEDA
    Free Member

Depends on the pressure gauge on the pump as well. Which manufacturers make pumps with accurate gauges?

chiefgrooveguru

“as a starting point for tubeless pressures…”

http://www.notubes.com/help_center_tire_pressure.aspx

Obviously if your sidewalls are thin, you ride ‘heavy’ or you’re riding really fast (how many DHers are running tubeless?) then you’ll need to increase the pressure. Many pump gauges are unreliable, it’s worth comparing with an individual gauge to find out what your pump is really telling you.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I have a digital gauge that I’ll compare to.

Haze

Think I’ll just carry on with what feels right to be honest…

foxyrider
    Free Member

Depends on a lot of factors I think – terrain, type of riding, type of bike etc. I can only say I run my tubeless wheels about 30-35 PSI 🙂

Graham_Clark

Roughly 30 F & Back, but depends on the day a bit. I am just over 15 stone with kit though, so that fits the Stan’s model pretty well.

D0NK

45psi on the back of my FS
    40ish back of my playbike hardtail
    35 back of singlespeed.
    30ish front

88kg

and I still occasionally destroy tubeless tyres at 45psi, guess I must keep my weight too far back.

chiefgrooveguru

The pinchy feely method works well as long as your mental calibration doesn’t slip! For a given PSI, larger volume tyres feel harder, stiffer carcass tyres feel harder, and tyres feel harder in lower temperatures – and lower pressures work better in all three situations.

gingerss
    Free Member

Just watch for pinch flats when running low pressure. It’s quite annoying and expensive to put a hole in the sidewall of a brand new UST tyre.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘UST/ tubeless tyre pressures.’ is closed to new replies.