Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Update since the 80's about what to do in the event of a nuclear strike?
  • Poopscoop

If I remember you were supposed to take the interior doors off their hinges and lay them at an angle against the wall. To form a “tent” like structure…. Then cover the doors in pillows or something?

Reason for asking?

My hope for a zombie apocalypse is not as high as it was. Hence my zombie survival plan isn’t as relevant. Thinking more of a Mad Max scenario now but with a much more fuel efficient car with air bags etc. (Recommendations?)

That said, hiding behind a door and pillows doesn’t really instil me with confidence come the Armageddon. Even one of Kim’s rockets could breach that defence I reckon.

Not like I will be sleeping comfortably either as all the ruddy pillows will be outside the “door tent”…

As always, any help on surviving the apocalypse appreciated.

user-removed
    Free Member

I don’t think there’s any escape from radiation unless you have an up to date fallout shelter.

Better to hope you go swiftly through smoke inhalation or blast damage!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://molecreek.info/natures-wonders/mole-creek-caves/
    Move here, apparently one of the safest places due to location and other factors

user-removed
    Free Member

And if you haven’t read this recently, do so. Sobering stuff….

https://g.co/kgs/w4qCiR

Raymond Briggs’ When the Wind Blows.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Get some cheap pillows from Asda? Either use them outside the shelter or to rest your worried head on. No point spending much.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Stick your head between your legs and kiss your arse goodbye is still the official advice.

funkmasterp

You need to at the exact right distance from the centre of the blast to develop super powers from the radiation.

wilburt
    Free Member

My hope for a zombie apocalypse is not as high as it was.

Have you been in UK town recently.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Or move closer to this..http://www.secretbunker.co.uk/

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

For a UK “bigger picture”, have a read up on Operation Square Leg.

I think the number of long term survivors was estimated to be about 10% of the population.

It was (and is) considered by some war planners to have way underestimated the number of UK targets, so the 10% figure may be “optimistic”.

😀

Murray

Unless everyone else joins in Wiki says NK has 13-60 nukes.

I think we’re unlikely to get them all.

badnewz
    Free Member

I think we’re unlikely to get them all.

Or any considering NK’s limited missile range.

Russia on the other hand could drop their new 100 megaton nuke on us and then it would be game over for old blighty.

martinhutch

Plenty of updated advice out there. It’s just been released through non-official channels.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

No point going over 50MT as above that all you tend to do is lift a chunk of atmosphere up rather than the blast spread any further outwards.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I think a lot of the Cold War advice was just there to give the impression it was possible to survive WW3.

Better to get vapourised in the initial blast than spend weeks slowly dying from the fall-out.

Saying that a mate of mine manages a nest of massive subterranean bunkers he Dad bought from the MOD at the end of the Cold War, they were built to house troops in the event of a strike, but they store stuff for museums now… I better make sure I’ve got his number.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nibru is heading our way tomorrow, why bother thinking about the apocalypse…

BoardinBob

Given that I’ve got some nuclear subs parked about 15 miles from me i suspect I may be taken out early so forward planning isn’t worth worrying about

mrdobermann
    Free Member

Protect and survive was the thing when I was young. Used to scare the pants of me when they tested the sirens….

badnewz
    Free Member

The real tragedy is that the only people who would survive an out all nuclear war are the politicians tucked up in their bunkers.
    Them and Keith Richards.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Wasn’t there some advice on painting things white?

Drac

Don’t forget to close the curtains.

[video]https://youtu.be/F0OPVi90-lg[/video]

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

the only people who would survive an out all nuclear war are the politicians tucked up in their bunkers.

Do you think we could just fake one then forget the all clear for a decade or two?

Rockape63
    Free Member

Vault-tec….good old Fallout 3, such a great game! 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

Raymond Briggs’ When the Wind Blows.

A beautifully written book. I love his stuff and cherish my collection, especially my Fungus the Bogeyman Plop-up book. 🙂

bodgy
    Free Member

If your Grandmother or any other member of your family should die from contamination put them outside of the shelter, but remember to tag them first for identification purposes.

colonelwax
    Free Member

I saw a documentary a few years ago that showed you could survive by getting inside a fridge. It looked like it was from the 50’s so probably had lead or something in it.

johndoh
    Free Member

But people die in fridges – it’s dangerous. Haven’t you seen the public service films?

PJM1974
    Free Member

If I remember you were supposed to take the interior doors off their hinges and lay them at an angle against the wall. To form a “tent” like structure…. Then cover the doors in pillows or something?

You can do that if you like. Won’t make much difference, though.

If you live very close to a high value military target, or a population centre then you’re probably best served by sitting on the roof, with whatever mind-altering substances you can find.

giantalkali
    Free Member

If I survive I’m definitely going looting afterwards. Get me a big assed TV to play Fallout on…

johndoh
    Free Member

If you live very close to a high value military target,

I can pretty much see a target (Menwith Hill Airbase) so my demise will be pretty swift. I’ll get a good view of the impact though so it’ll be a case of ‘wow, that’s cool, look at th…’

IHN

If you live very close to a high value military target, or a population centre then you’re probably best served by sitting on the roof, with whatever mind-altering substances you can find.

Yup. Living about five miles from RAF Fairford, which I’m sure is on Vladdy P’s first strike list, I expect to die an instant and painless death.

jolmes
    Free Member

Stop, droll & roll? or is that lava?

IHN

Stop, droll & roll? or is that lava?

I’m not sure, in either case, that witty repartee should be a priority

jolmes
    Free Member

Obviously meant drop but drool should be its replacement, rather comical now i read it back

On a side note, i live 7 minutes away from a cold war bunker. Think i’ll camp out there.

Drac

I want to continue my Fallout 4 now.

I can see one of the main early warning sites from my bedroom window, if I stand on a chair, so I’m ****.

PJM1974
    Free Member

If you do manage to procure a bunker, you’ll be besieged by starving radioactive survivors until your food and water runs out.

Cheery stuff, eh?

jolmes
    Free Member

I’ve played enough fallout 3/4/new vegas and learned how to deal with radioactive survivors.

Really need to play through them again now.

Drac

I’ve played enough fallout 3/4/new vegas and learned how to deal with radioactive survivors.

Fatboy.

eulach

I have a proper concrete shelter in my cellar. Unfortunately it contains iodine tablets instead of an air filtration system. And several bikes, broken furniture, old clothes…

jolmes
    Free Member

Fatboy.

Never did like it, lack of ammunition I think. Was more of a melee fighter on the fall out games, one punch man.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Update since the 80's about what to do in the event of a nuclear strike?’ is closed to new replies.