Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Unicycles – what do I need to know?
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

SInce the Lidl PSA at the end of last week Ive been fancying a unicycle for no particular reason other than its a bike and it looks like a bit of a laugh

When I got to Lidl the next day they had sold out so obviously its gonna cost me a bit more

The thing is I dont ever remember seeing a unicycle in my LBS so:

1) Where do you buy them from besides Lidl

2) How much is one kitted out with the unicycle equivalent to SLX 🙂 ?

3) How tricky is it to actually ride?

Cheers

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i got one for sale if you want it

Inzane
    Free Member

You need to know that you will look like a clown… and people are scared of clowns.

You need to know that it is not a type of bicycle (or bike) as by definition a bi-cycle has 2 wheels… it could be classed as a cycle tho?

They are reasonably hard to learn to ride properly. Find yourself somewhere with really long handrails and learn to ride along with a hand on the rail, then a hand hovering above the rail… until you are actually riding. It takes a while to get the feel of using the backpedaling motion for braking and balance. Quite good fun once you get the hang of it tho!

iain1775
    Free Member

where you based? The 2 Lidls in Derby had plenty left yesterday

I got one, bloody hell its hard!!

samuri
    Free Member

1) Ebay or the unicycle shop, 61 quid there for a beginner one.

2) Nope, stop that talk immediately. It's not like cycling. You start on a 20" beginner uni with very basic equipment, once you can ride that (it will be a while), then you can start looking at more advanced kit, and you can spend up to a grand easily.

3) Not that bad actually.I could ride down our drive after about a week or so of messing about for an hour or so a day. Start between some rails, learn to rock backwards and forwards, then lean forwards and go, you do pick it up quite quickly.

Hang on, I have some pictures of me learning somewhere…

There we are, look at me go!

MrTall
    Free Member

Or you could go biiiiiiig with a coker 36" one………….

http://www.cokercycles.com/

user-removed
    Free Member

My LBS always has one in stock. I crashed it into a display of kids' bikes a few years back 😳

I don't remember it being all that hard to learn but I got my first uni when I was about 10 – would probably find it much harder as an adult.

You will fall off but I've never once hurt myself falling off a uni – you do tend to land on your feet.

swainey
    Free Member

what you need to know??

you got a wheel missing 😯

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

ebay and firetoys.co.uk I've seen on in George Halls if you live near there.

Buy a cheap on with a 20" wheel to learn on, and then get a bigger one with better kit once you've got the hang of it 😛

blue_mountain_goat
    Free Member

Have a look over here for some helpful info. 🙂

stuey
    Free Member

get a really tall one the increase leverage makes it easier to balance –
    no really.

firestarter
    Free Member

i just bought one last week i got a 24 inch one from my lbs for 62 quid its good fun so far 😉

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

just found my pictures…this was a couple of days solidly practising last summer (got very sore shins!)

if only it'd stop raining I could go play again 😛

MrsToast
    Free Member

I saw a unicycle on display at Eighteen in Hope…

RealMan
    Free Member

I took my unicycle down the local bmx race track, which is a national track, and is all very steep. Was bloody hard. Lots of fun though.

sockpuppet

i really want one now!

i bet that's *so* difficult

jonahtonto
    Free Member

sorry – i know this should be in classified but mine is going for 30 quid +postage if anyone is interested

Innes
    Free Member

I teach Unicycling at my Daughters school each week, my problem is the Kids learn very quickly, and spend ages practising and very quickly make me look like a beginner.

As others have said, get a 20" unicycle from Unicycle uk.com, and get one with the Charlie Dancey book "How To Ride Your Unicycle".

It is really good fun, you will just have to be patient.

Innes

Lurchenstien
    Free Member

I'll second Innes on looking in Unicycle uk.com. I've been unicycling for 14 years now, and they've always been good. I didn't find it too hard to learn the basics, it's stuff like crankflips and riding backwards one footed that were more hassle.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Unicycles – what do I need to know?’ is closed to new replies.