Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • Uk Cyclist city vid, dozens of incidents recorded
  • jekkyl

Why Cyclists need cameras!

apologies if it’s been linked before, I though it worthy.
    OOIIIII WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve commuted on many of those same roads for years. Never needed a camera, also never needed to shout and yell like some angry stress monster all the time.

I think he needs to chill the (expletive deleted) out. A lot.

bails

That’s Gaz (cyclegaz on youtube IIRC). Someone’s nicked his video and uploaded it to liveleak by the looks of things. The title isn’t really fair either, he’s done the maths plenty of times about how (un)common the near misses are, ‘dozens’ per day is a bit hysterical!

jekkyl

great, thanks bails

jekkyl

DezB
    Free Member

Tell you what – those cyclists with cameras, they go looking for trouble, just so they can upload it. I bet they start out every morning just praying to get splattered on the bonnet of a X3 just so they’ve got something good to put on Youtube.
    Eh, druidh?

footflaps

they go looking for trouble, just so they can upload it

Don’t have to look very hard, most drivers seem to be half asleep on my morning commute / on the phone / eating breakfast / reading the Sun / shouting at children in the back and seem completely oblivious to their surroundings.

bails

I hope think DezB is on the wind up!

Being run over hurts. I’m still suffering after what seemed like a fairly innocuous knock in May. Without the helmet cam I probably wouldn’t have got much out of the insurers.

DezB
    Free Member

Just quoting a valid* STW opinion

*morons

samuri
    Free Member

To be fair, he is in London where everyone is angry and a crap driver.

You have to accept that it is a very different place to the rest of the country.

I started using a camera to record all the incidents on my commute and I just got bored in the end. There simply weren’t enough of them and I couldn’t get anyone to try and fight me. They always locked the doors when I started arguing with them.

What is it about fat, old london taxi drivers that makes them so hard?

footflaps

I couldn’t get anyone to try and fight me

You have to drag them out their cars and corner them…..

seven
    Free Member

I record my commute through Leeds city centre, must say that 999 times out of a 1000, I just delete the files.

He is very shouty however 🙂

lazybike
    Free Member

What is it about fat, old london taxi drivers that makes them so hard?

there not hard…. just stressed, shouty cyclist and stressed drivers….bit old hat really.

bigjim

We should take that guy mountain biking, he could shout at the rocks, drop offs, jumps, stormtroopers….

glupton1976
    Free Member

CFH reported for swear filter avoidance.

jekkyl

OIII ROCK WHAT ARE YOU DOOOING?

ocrider

We should take that guy mountain biking, he could shout at the rocks, drop offs, jumps, stormtroopers….

You just need numberplates hung on trees so that he can recite them after every obstacle and he’ll be like a duck to water.

JAG

He’s rather angry about something.

Most of those things have happened to me but I’ve never had any kind of ‘incident’ with the motorists involved because I couldn’t be bothered 🙄

nwilko
    Free Member

if you go out looking for trouble you will find trouble..
    i reckon he would have as many issues if he drove a car on the same roads instead of riding his bike.

daft thing is he’s very likely to die from stress and far less likley to die from a car/bus/van crash.

the chap is just ANGRY !!!!

ton

fella’s no right is he?
    30yrs of commuting into leeds and i have not had that many episode’s.

DrP

Never fails to make me laugh that clip!!

On one hand we’ve got a guy trying to ride safely to work, on the other hand we have a nutter…..

DrP

Goz
    Free Member

One stressed out cyclist, complete tool.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

One stressed out cyclist, complete tool.

^^This^^

And, sadly, this will do nothing to help cycling. Some people will see it and assume it’s too dangerous for them to ride. Some people will see it and assume that all cyclists are angry, shouty, stress-muppets.

As Ton, and others, said, commuting just isn’t like that if you’re “normal”.

TheBrick
    Free Member

To be fair, he is in London where everyone is angry and a crap driver.

You have to accept that it is a very different place to the rest of the country.

TO be honest my experience is the opposite. For me inner London (zone 3 and in) is not a bad place to cycle. Busy yes and you do get angry drivers most are failure (angry and calm drivers) with bikes and the traffic slow enough during rush hour. Outer London is a different matter and requires more skills to deal with the traffic.

Contrast with where I’m cycling now (Nr Bournemouth) and the combination of greater traffic speed and less familiarly of drivers with cyclists creates much more dangerous situation in my experience.

DezB
    Free Member

Nearly every one of those drivers were twaats, ignoring the fact there was a cyclist with as much right to the road as them.
    Putting aside the fact that he’s a bit odd with his shouting out of reg plates –
    You really think it’s ok for a car to pull out in front of a bike? A effing great lorry to pull across into his lane? (that’s happened to me and its pretty bloody scary).
    Oh you’re all so righteous and cool that it wouldn’t wind you up? Yeah. Right.
    I guess you must drive like that too.

plumber
    Free Member

Seems like a fairly normal day cycling in london, you just have to get on with it

antigee

commuting just isn’t like that if you’re “normal”.

and you ride 100% defensively AND you just ignore all the sh!t and plain inconsiderate driving

here’s my list from just last week:

industrial estate – car pulls from side road turning right without slowing or looking right then nearly stops across road – i had seen their speed as approached and expected it and am breaking hard – observant van driver on other side slows so car can keep moving out of my path

right turn at traffic lights with green arrow – i turn fully visible to car slowly approaching stop light opposite – he turns left via short slip at last minute(no indication ) and doesn’t bother looking at give way – i move across to other lane and he looks shocked to see me as i look into his window

preparing to move to right turn lane i look behind and decide cement truck is fast and erratic so move to left to let pass – driver is on mobile

yesterday mrs antigee got car doored – fortunately no damage or injury

think “the best” youtube clip i’ve seen is the one with two roadies and the driver just turns left across them and then says something like “what do you expect – i wanted to turn left” exactly

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

What plumber said! That whole video looks like one day commuting in london to me. You have to be a bit of a flunkie to act so aggressively to all of those incidents, but nob head taxi drivers DO deserve an ear bashing. They think they own the road and they don’t get pulled up on it enough.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

and you ride 100% defensively AND you just ignore all the sh!t and plain inconsiderate driving

No, I ride sensibly, and am well aware of the idiots out there who;
    Are fixie riding asshats and cannot control their achingly “scene” bike
    The truck driver who’s been awake for 48hrs straight
    Altura Man! All red lights shall bow down before his magnificence!
    The cabbie, in a rush, perhaps missing something in one of his mirrors
    The mobile phone addicted pedestrian stepping out without looking
    The potholes
    The Borisistas
    The selfish **** parked in the bike lanes
    The Critical Mass asshats
    That bus that runs just south of the river that goes soooooo slowly

etc.

Thing is,

you just have to get on with it

As more and more of us do just get on with it and ride bikes, we’ll be just fine.

butcher

As more and more of us do just get on with it and ride bikes, we’ll be just fine.

Until someone takes you out.

I find it’s a fairly natural human response to get a bit shouty when someone nearly kills you. Yes, it’s probably not good for your soul, but I know drivers who will chase people down for not using their indicators FFS. In comparison, shouting at someone who looks like they might be about to end your life seems quite reasonable. I don’t think he’ll go to hell for it.

Not that video again. What a nob. To be honest, I see loads of arses like him every morning; casually jumping lights etc and then shouting at all the half asleep drivers for some terrible infringement, that is never that bad really. People like him should just stay at home and do everyone a favour. Actually, does anyone know him? I’d like to have a little chat with him, on camera, of course. Can you imagine him behind a wheel? Terrifying.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I see loads of arses like him every morning; casually jumping lights etc and then shouting at all the half asleep drivers for some terrible infringement

Agreed. Last cyber-warrior-asshat I saw had earphones in (I could hear the music alongside him, FFS) and casually jumped the next red.

Just chill out and ride.

Oh, and the standard of racing out on the daily commute is shocking; now every turd with a new Boardman (hey, it’s not about the bike!) thinks he’s Brad or Cav, or both. It’s always thus: traffic lights, Boardman-man rocks up, on the right, hands shaking, foot quivering on the pedals, then off ten to the dozen – for about 5 meters before trailing off like the dick he is. Man-up you new commuters, get some legs FFS. Anyroad, does anyone know who that dick on the video is?

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Last cyber-warrior-asshat I saw had earphones in

whats wrong with that? :p

for about 5 meters before trailing off like the dick he is

they’re good to have around though as a bit of entertainment on your ride home though.

Personally I love nothing more than smashing lycra clad action commuters who ride a £6grand, exotic race bike from italy with matching colour race suit. (On my £700 single speed track bike built in a guys shed in central london.) (Up a hill :p)

druidh
    Free Member

I reckon it’s DezB. That would explain his reaction to this thread and he certainly seems to have the accompanying propensity for confrontation.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Yawntastic….
    Helmet cam. It’s in the name.

Ah, the love of smashing roadies on a crappy mtb. Or, even better, the singlespeed, fixed gear chappie who just cannot be beaten, until you glide past. Sends shivers down my spine. That said, some of those singlespeed blokes are right fast. Always tempted though to say “oh single speed? That will be “slow” then?” Never had the b*llocks though.

josh1982
    Free Member

The guy with the cam seems a dick………ok a few near misses but he should be more aware and cautious.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

more likely he’ll be killed by the stress of cycling than someone hitting him.

BenjiM

This is the chap that’s gonna be on the BBC1 Programme next week I think. It was advertised after the sleeping programme. War on Britains Roads or something. I’m sure they showed some of this vid.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Uk Cyclist city vid, dozens of incidents recorded’ is closed to new replies.