Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Turner 5-spot sizing for 6ft guys
  • IsaacClarke
    Free Member

I’ve got a Turner 5-spot (Horst-Link).

6ft, wear 32″ leg trousers.

Short(ish) Thomson stem…

What size do other people ride?

Are the DW-link and non-DW models comparable?

Lucas
    Free Member

You don’t say what size your 5 Spot is!

I’m 6ft 3with 35-36 inch legs (long legs) I have a HL too, origianly I had a large and changed to an XL. The XL fits me much better – I always had too much post sticking out of the large and the drop to the bars was too big. The top tube lenght on the large felt good with a 90mm stem. the tt on the XL feels fine with a 50mm stem.

I managed to just get a front triangle from turner but this was in 2008.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Large for sure. I’m 5’11 with 32″ inseam, 50mm stem and large fits me very well.

IsaacClarke
    Free Member

Good point Lucas!

I ride a medium – 50mm stem…

Anywhere in London for test-riding a Large?

IsaacClarke
    Free Member

This is how it looks, for comparisons…

qcamel
    Free Member

I am the same height and leg length as you and ride a large 2011 DW and previously a 2009 DW in large..

IsaacClarke
    Free Member

Thanks for the input everyone!

The Medium DW in the classifieds caught my eye, so now it’s time to hunt for Large…

johnners
    Free Member

I’m the same size as you and a Large(HL) is a good fit. I tested a Medium because I like a compact frame but it was just a tad too wee for me.

IsaacClarke
    Free Member

I’ve always ‘gone for’ medium frames – apart from an EBB Ti Inbred I had, which I sold, as it felt like a gate (20″ IIRC)

I guess I’ll start my hunt for larges!!

Damn, wrong size!!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

5′ 112 here too. One a large.

When I bought, I test rode a Med in Bristol Singletrack. It was great fun, but I couldn’t shake the feeling that it was a little too short for long days.

Based on that and Turners advice I bought a Large.

About a year later I had the opportunity to ride a medium on my local ground. on the basis of back to back comparison, I’m sure I made the right decision.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

My mate has a large he’s selling, its a 2008 (i think) so is the kona style linkage rather than the fsr style.

mattbremner
    Free Member

FAO Scienceofficer.

Picked up a year old forum where you mentioned you had 5.3 rockers lying around after upgrade. Do you still have ?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Wow, that is an old one!

Sadly, I stripped the 5.5 rockers, sold them and put the 5.3’s back on the bike you see in my post. Needed the cash see. Sorry.

mattbremner
    Free Member

No worries. Was a long shot. How did you like the 5.5’s when they were on ? Happier back at 5.3 ?

JonR
    Free Member

I’m 5′ 11 & 1/2 with a 32 inside leg and I ride a medium HL. When I got it it was way too small for me but a longer stem and layback seatpost and it is just on the small side of okay. Great for chucking about.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Swings and round abouts Really. The 5.5’s were stiffer, but not by much, and the extra travel made a slight difference to the feel of the bike, making it feel a little bigger.

TBH, as a trail machine built as per pic, Ithink I prefer it with the shorter travel.

crispy
    Free Member

I’m 6’2″ and have a large 2005 Horst Link. I find it too small for me.

As a result, the frame’s in the shed looking for a loving new home if anyone’s interested…

catvet
    Free Member

Issa
    Looking at seat post layback and length, front end spaces, length of stem and rise, i would suggest frame is too small. Dave Turner would suggest next size up and shorter stem if you email him.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Turner 5-spot sizing for 6ft guys’ is closed to new replies.