Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 2,724 total)
  • Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!
  • easyrider
    Free Member

Please I have just got some Spyre SLC and I thought my mind was made up 🙂 Not fitted them yet though….

cloudnine
    Free Member

Whilst on the subject of brakes I need some new pads in a few weeks for my spyres.. Any recommendations? I’ve replaced both trp discs a with shimano as I managed to warp them both… Not sure whether that’s braking style or shit discs?

brassneck

And another question 🙂

Anyone running anything other than Shimano gearing? Wondering if SRAM WiFLi might be a good all rounder on the basis I’ll need the lower range more than the upper.. or maybe Campag, think they go won to a 30 cassette.. and I think the Kinesis wheelset is still available from Fat Birds in Campag flavour.

jo4js
    Free Member

bluesmartie, I have a set of R685s on order for my ATR frame set build. I was tempted to get the TRP RD/HD but wasn’t convinced given some so-so reviews. Apparently the R685s won’t arrive in the UK until 22nd October so I’ll have to wait a little while yet. I’ve gone for the 6800 Ultegra group set for everything else.

I’m looking at getting some avid 40 cm discs for front and rear to fit on to my Hope 2 hubs.

bluesmartie
    Free Member

Jo4js – let me know what you think of the R685’s when you get them. I think I’m now going to opt for ultegra 6800 shifters and dura ace mechs,

birdage

Used these for the Spyres, tried a couple of the other types but not sure what the difference is though, too many other variables affecting performance. They don’t squeal in the rain though!

http://www.discobrakes.com/?s=0&t=0&c=14&p=100&tb=001

scandalous
    Free Member

Still can’t get over how much I love this bike

Did a 138m round trip on it on Saturday on the road, flipped the tyres to cx and went for a quick cx spin the next day and it felt even better !

Faultless

scandalous
    Free Member

Spyres rule btw!

overthehill50
    Free Member

Scandalous – What tyres are you using for road & what for cx?

scandalous
    Free Member

Continental 4 seasons 28c for road

Kendra small block 8 32c for xc

Both are superb

jameso

Rogerover- reconsider under 🙂
    it’d be doable but you’ll get really beat up. 40cs would help but the general ride position and low vol tyres will make it really tough especially when loaded up. For some sections and shorter days it could be ok though. Gotama, i was almost 3 days off the winning pace that yr but nice that people remember it as a better ride than it was haha

Been popping onto this thread here and there. Great that a bike like this is so well appreciated. High chance my significant bd bike will be a steel 40c drop bar. Tip of the day- 40c WTB Nanos 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I’m looking at getting some avid 40 cm discs for front and rear

I am not sure you need them that big…

jobro
    Free Member

I’m looking at getting some avid 40 cm discs for front and rear

I am not sure you need them that big…

But imagine the stopping power 🙂

jo4js
    Free Member

Ok, Ok, my mistake. In all seriousness though will the ATR take 140mm rotors? I think I read somewhere that the skeleton mount will only take 160mm rotors.

jobro
    Free Member

Ok, Ok, my mistake. In all seriousness though will the ATR take 140mm rotors? I think I read somewhere that the skeleton mount will only take 160mm rotors

My understanding as well

brassneck

Please I have just got some Spyre SLC and I thought my mind was made up Not fitted them yet though….

I’ll take em off your hands if you like 🙂

Ok, Ok, my mistake. In all seriousness though will the ATR take 140mm rotors? I think I read somewhere that the skeleton mount will only take 160mm rotors.

Yup, it’s in this epic thread somewhere as I asked the same question.

therevokid
    Free Member

400mm rotors … ye gods that’ll stop 🙂
    Better than my ZX10r 😉

jacob46
    Free Member

What size for a 6ft 3incher ?

Lovely bike

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

What size for a 6ft 3incher ?

I would recommend 500mm rotors for that height…

rogerover
    Free Member

it’d be doable but you’ll get really beat up

Jameso – thanks for the advice, that’s not what I really wanted to hear but I’m so glad I heard it before going down the wrong road. Very much appreciated.

jacob46
    Free Member

I ment what size frame for a 6ft 3incher ?

velosam
    Free Member

Out of curiosity, can I use a shim and a 27.2 seat post as I need the setback?

evilsovereign
    Free Member

Bit of a PSA here. Just had my regular email from planet x, and these vittoria voyager tyres are much cheapness.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIVOHY/vittoria-voyager-hyper-folding-tyre

at £10 an end, I thought they’d be useful. Seeing as I’m still waiting for my frame to arrive, why not buy stuff I can’t use.

velosam
    Free Member

They are supposed to be great, unfortunately too big for my kaffenback

DrP

Quick pic update….
    I’ve done a bit of the ‘A’, planning the ‘T’ at the end of the month (hence the luggage trial below!), and hopefully some ‘R’ing early November!

DrP

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Not impressed with shinybikes when I phoned to see when they were expecting the frame they said they had stock of when I bought it on the 18th of last month, so I think I might cancel my order tomorrow.

easyrider
    Free Member

Not impressed with Shiny Bikes either..still waiting….

brassneck

Likewise. they have debited my cc too :-\

cloudnine
    Free Member

Phone or email upgrade bikes and find out when stock will actually be available to the retailers. Good price on the frameset though.
    Edit.. just been on the upgrade bikes website and it say 4+ weeks on frames. So either cancel your orders and buy elsewhere (for more money), try and haggle some free stuff from shinybikes for waiting, or just wait.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The guy at shiny said that he would check with upgrade and get back yesterday, but the same guy said that again today. Not sure I would feel confident about warranty issues with them.

Fatbirds say that they have a 54 on their website, but I might put it down to fate telling me not to get one.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I might put it down to fate telling me not to get one.

If you believe fate crap. Its just proved to be more popular than they expected (probably due to this thread). Demand has outstripped supply. Its worth the wait unless you have absolutely no other bike to ride

overthehill50
    Free Member

I ordered a full bike from Freeborn about a month ago online, they got back to me next day to explain they were out of stock until later in the year & refunded me straight away, so hats off to them for being on the ball. Next day ordered from Shinybikes – heard nothing so after a week I rang them & they said no frames till end of year – I’d have still been waiting if I hadn’t rang them but they did refund me straight away, so it seems check on stock before pressing the order button is the best policy.I did strike lucky & found a frame which I’m collecting as a built up bike tomorrow – Christmas has come early 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

ok, so I cancelled my ShinyBikes order – the guy didn’t seem surprised and was as downbeat as for all my other recent calls.

I then bought a 54cm frameset from fatbirds as they had stock – so ordered for before 12 delivery tomorrow.

However Kaspersky tried it’s utmost to stop me buying it – for each barclaycard attempt through firefox and also chrome.

And then it was shown as out of stock, so not available for next day delivery.

And then when I did get past Kaspersky Barclaycard fraud prevention then declined the purchase! Not quite sure why as I am always buying bike stuff so it is not unusual.

Then Kaspersky tried to get in the way of a Paypal purchase, so I uninstalled it.

So it really feels like Fate was trying to stop me buying this frameset – a bit like this bit in “The Man With two Brains” when he asks for a ‘Sign’ but then ignores it :

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkcKQmr7kRc[/video]

easyrider
    Free Member

Dang I had ordered mine before reading this thread ShinyBikes said 2 weeks, and after that next year. Looks like next year then. 🙁 Or a Gran Fondo but I don’t want one of those.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

easyrider – what size are you after ?

brassneck

54cm for me if you’re offering 🙂

cloudnine
    Free Member

Turnerguy.. so did you actually manage to order one?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Turnerguy.. so did you actually manage to order one?

yes 🙂

should be with me before 12 tomorrow. If not it is really is fate and I shall give up on it and put the spyre slcs on my croix de fer…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

54cm for me if you’re offering

there is always the chance that I prefer the croix de fer for my short, hour long dashes round horsell common and I end up putting the 54cm tripster atr in the classifieds…

brassneck

I’ll keep them peeled then Though there is a Croix de Fer on offer in one of my LBS.. a grand, seemed a good deal. But I was hoping to roll road bike and child towing bike into one with a dash of added offroad fun, and thought I’d want something a little posher on road. Maybe I should buy the Croix and something carboney for road use only :-/
    Or maybe I should just grow a bit of patience 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 2,724 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.