Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Transporting a bike inside a car upright….
  • megastream
    Free Member

As soon as the DVLA get their fingers out with my reg transfer I'm picking up a new Mazda 5.

I would like to put my bike in the back upright, Mazda do a kit for this but it's stupid money. Has anyone done any DIY interior bike mounts by locking in the front forks?

Pics ideas please!

nickegg
    Free Member

…not sure how you'll hold the bike up off the floor with no wheels in.

We put our bikes upside down in our Octavia and lash them down using the eyelets that usually lock the seat backs in place. Works a treat and still leaves loads of space.

Don't know if that helps you though!

megastream
    Free Member

The back wheel stays on, the front comes off and clips into some kind of mount across the boot floor.

njee20
    Free Member

Minoura do a rack for it, you need to take the front wheel out.

jackthedog
    Free Member

If you can leave the wheels in you can weld a turbo trainer to the floorpan and that'll hold the bike upright.

If you are careful and you take care to refit the carpet around it, it'll work just as good as the factory original, but for much more work and a great deal more expense.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>you can weld a turbo trainer to the floorpan <

Woa, sounds a bit extreme;-)

Dead easy to fabricate something with alu section / machine bolts and use a hollow rod up front the same width and dia as your front hub to lock the forks down with a QR

cookeaa

What’s the fllor of the boot like?

i.e. is it a rigid “False floor” or a bit of carpet placed straight over the floor pan?

I know my Golf Estate has a sort of False floor in the boot, a rigid carpeted cover that lifts up to give access to further cubby holes and the spare wheel, I could if I wanted whack a couple of holes into place a front axle adaptor of some sort like you’re suggesting I think, then fold one of the rear seats forwards to allow the back wheel to go in…

Something like this perhaps?

druidh
    Free Member

Turn the bike upside down and rest it on the bars? put your bags either side if that helps it stay upright. Does it really need to be more complicated than this? I've done it like this for years without any problems.

Olly
    Free Member

upside down with the rear wheel still on works a treat for me.

right way up doesnt work, as it tips the forks forward, and makes the bike too long to fit. (its only a 206 estate)

but can wheel them in upsdide down with the front wheel off, tie them to the cargo eyes and put the front wheels around them.

good for 3 people and 3 bikes and riding gear in realtive comfort.

garage-dweller

!!!

Front wheel out,
    Drop (split) rear seats.
    Put first bike against side of car
    Bit of foam between window and any metal
    Add further bike(s) as required in similar way
    Strap in to door handle / luggage eyes / seat back fittings as needed
    Close boot
    Drive off…

You may need to modify the above with some tarpaulin/old sheets to keep the interior nice but this approach has worked fine in every car I've owned (except the Mondeo estate where I can put two bagged bikes and a weekend's kit under the load cover in the boot).

As for cutting up a brand new Mazda 5's interior/bodywork… 😯 🙄 I can't imagine welding/bolting stuff to the car will do much for its warranty

stumpy01

I got some MDF & made a base that fitted into the floor of my car on the 60 split side. I then screwed in a block the same width as the front dropouts & stuck a QR through it.
    At the back, there's 2 blocks that the chainstays sit on, with holes in to pass some webbing through & secure the rear of the bike to the blocks.

I plan on doing a few refinements to this at some point, as the new bike is slightly taller at the front & so only just goes in – I need to lower the QR mount as much as possible.

I could post some pics if they weren't stuck on my teeny phone SD card.
    When I get a car with a taller roofline, I'll be doing the same thing, but stickin the QR on a rail, so I can bolt the fork in at the boot end, then slide the QR assembly down into the car on the rail before clipping it secure. Then the back fastening would be via a QR as well rather than blocks supporting the chainstays…

EDIT – this is obviously with the wheels off, which I stick in wheel bags to keep the car clean.

cookeaa

Stumpy01 I’d love to see some pic’s, this thread has me thinking about how I could get both of my bikes in in a similar fashion i.e. upright, front wheel out possible on a slide in board or similar, anything that saves time/effort pre/post ride is a good idea in my book…

P.S. Anyone manage to get a DH bike in the back of their estate upright? (taller forks and all)

DickBarton

I've got the Minoura rack – works well…doesn't get used now though as my current bike doesn't have a QR front wheel and my saddle height is too high to go in the SMax upright…so it just sits in the garage…was used frequently on previous motors though…

carbon337
    Free Member

Mine go in the back of a zafira upright – im meant to be ordering a 15qr pendle adapter that im going to bolt into a base plate. That reminds me.

carbon337
    Free Member

Just ordered this at £11.50 secure it to a wood/metal base plate and Bobs your uncle.

There are some good ideas on mtbr car and bioke forum involving pvc piping etc.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Agree that it's just something else to faff around with…

My systems dead simple: flip the seats, throw a blanket down, throw the bike in. More bikes = more blankets 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

i had a renault scenic and the seats popped out in the back . i used to unclip two of the rear seats and had an internal bike rack that clipped in their place that had two fork clamps on it . it was great 😉 if i needed to carry three i clipped the two in the mounts and slid one the other way round between the two meant i could have three adults and all bikes and kit inside.

still have the rack but no scenic lol i keep meaning to try to fit it in the mrs zafira somehow 😉

cookeaa

@Carbon337 Where did you order the fork adaptor from?

@Heather bash – currently that is my approach but it’s actually not he most efficient use of the space and and time wrestling a muddy bike (both wheels off) in and out of the car each time is a pain in the arse, blankets never cover everything so a pedal always snags something, ideally I don’t want to have to fold both rear seats so I can leave the nippers mounted on the 40% split and still get a bike in comfortably with the rear wheel still fitted, plus a boot full of riding kit/spares/food and just Go, not too much to ask is it?

DickBarton

cookeaa – looks like a Pendle clamp/mount – http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>not too much to ask is it? <

Agree, yours would be a neat engineered solution but I dont want the faff of connecting another piece of kit into and out the car if it can be avoided. Plus with a house full of rugby players and battle scarred bikes I'm beyond caring about the car interior and a few more scratches. Also need to use a large uninterrupted area for other things so I've got a Mazda 6 Est and large blankets 😉

Good luck with whatever you cobble together – and post up some pics.

cookeaa

I can tell its a pendle mount, I wanted to know where to purchase it at the above mentioned price, their site is a bit gash when it comes to buying spares…

carbon337
    Free Member

Cookeaa – I just emailed pendle at their main email on their site. Then just rang them and they processed it over phone. She was sending it out today so i may even get it next day.

You can get 15mm, 9mm or 20mm. I fi get it tomorrow i will email you pics of my setup.

Susie
    Free Member

We use bike bags, the bags stand upright and it keeps the car clean.

hotcharge
    Free Member

i just drop the seats in my estate and lay the bikes in the back on their side. I put a blanket down to protect the bike/seats and we are good to go….way the need to have the bike upright.
    i put a luggage net up sometimes..

cookeaa

Ooooh Ta Carbon:

cookeaa@hotmail.com

Martin_pendle
    Free Member

We made a one off rack for MBUK to hold bikes upright in the back of a van using the adapter pictured above once. Reading this thread perhaps there is a market for a more general solution that fits plenty of cars.

To those above talking about web ordering – we tend to limit spare parts to phone sales so we can make sure that you are ordering the correct parts. Although we don't mind people ordering parts to make up their own solutions.

Pukeko
    Free Member

What you need is an old front hub with QR (or mega cheap 2nd hand), U bolt or stainless jubilee clip, and length of unistrut. Using U bolt/clip attach the hub to the unistrut and thats it! Lay the assembly across the back of car/van/pick-up/trailer deck and you have QR mounting point for forks to support your bike upright. Just leave in garage or wherever when not in use – Simples!

I have even made a roof rack this way (20 years ago as poor student!)- BTW; if anyone starts making these and flogging them I want a cut 🙂 !!

firestarter
    Free Member

id like a bar that could be extended/reduced to hold itself in the rear of the car with movable fork mounts on. i just havent bothered my arse yet ;-0

megastream
    Free Member

Just found this on a Mazda forum….this is exactly what I am after :mrgreen:

megastream
    Free Member

firestarter
    Free Member

if you could make the bar adjustable to squish it up to the cars insides to keep it tight that would be great

i will see if i can find a pic of my renault bit its great

firestarter
    Free Member

one on ebay here actually ( not mine lol) it could be made to fit other cars no doubt. thats what i intend doing anyway
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-Scenic-Interior-cycle-carrier_W0QQitemZ280457010984QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20100127?IMSfp=TL100127156001r14485

MadPierre

Dunno about a Mazda but in my Zafira it's just:

Both back rows of seats down. Old curtains deployed to keep car clean.

Drop or remove seatpost.
    Remove front wheel.
    Wedge back wheel between slid forward rear seats and door post.
    Bungee round top of seatpost to loops for attaching these (already present in Zafira).

Job's a good un

No movement. No brackets required. Done in a minute or two.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I am looking at this for our new car (xc90) and volvo do do one for ht ecar but they put it over the back seats where as i would like to do some thing that leaves some of the seats in place so the above solution may work well just need to get some fork holders.

stumpy01

Cookeaa – I'll try to get the pics off my phone & onto a 'pooter this weekend.

I like the look of that Pendle attachment, but for my current car it would be way too high.
    Currently I've got a 10mm (I think) mdf board. On top of that I've made a block that the QR goes through & made it absolutely as low as I could for the forks to attach to without catching the main base board.
    I plan on removing this QR mount, cutting a hole in the board & mounting the QR coming up from the underside. This will gain me about 15mm, which doesn't sound much, but will just make it that little bit easier.

EDIT – the reason I mount my bike upright, rather than just laying it in flat is to give me more space in the boot for any other stuff I need with me & it also allows one of the rear seats to be used.

carbon337
    Free Member

Just received the pendle attachment – it isnt what I expected – basically i just got the green cylinder (but its gold) thats in that pic above. Not the whole clamp/bracket.

After contacting Pendle my "cheap" idea for a clap has now gone out the window – they want an extra 28.60 for the clamp so after paying 11.50 the total cost is 40.00.

Think I will return the adapter and see what I can muster together myself.

🙁

TheTompy
    Free Member

How about using one of these:

cookeaa

Right I think I'm gonna lash some sort of basic MDF board + old hub or axle arrangement which should be good for one of my MTBs and the Road bike but the 20mm Bolt through/170mm forked one might require a different approach I think… still 2 out of 3 ain't bad

druidh
    Free Member

Why not just roll the bike in upside down? It's still upright. so takes up little room. The bars offer some support and you can either bungee it or just pack stuff around it to stop it falling over under any wild maneuvers.

stumpy01

Bit late on this I know, but Cookeaa asked for some pics….here they are finally off my phone & on the computer!

The tubing on the top of the block in the 3rd pic was meant to compress as the webbing strap is tightened around the stays to help hold it in place. It worked on the old bike, but the new Stumpy has asymmetric chainstays so they need some adjustment.
    In the second pic you can see the QR mounted above the base. I need to take that off, cut a slot in the base & get a new mount made up that fits in below to lower the height of the mount for the new bike.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Transporting a bike inside a car upright….’ is closed to new replies.