Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Trails in the Dordogne??
  • kitebikeski
    Free Member

Off on family holiday to France for 2 weeks, 2nd week is sorted – in the Alps, first week to the Dordogne is a worry. Are there any trails there??

saladdodger
    Free Member

Where are you going to in the Dordogne??

Yes there are loads, you will drive past loads just look out for a small red sign with a red triangle and 2 red dots on it

Or get a IGN map of the area you are in and make your own France is VERY bike friendly

Spongebob
    Free Member

I did it last year. There are tons! We stayed about 20km for Bergerac. The terrain is quite hilly and you will quickly get fitter. You won’t see a soul.

If you go in August, avoid too many woodland routes. There are nasty basxard female horseflies that will bite you even when you are on the move. I copped a few and my leg swelled up for a few days and glowed red hot. Very uncomfortable! Perhaps a citrus repellent would help.

kitebikeski
    Free Member

We are going to Les Eyzies, a bit west of Sarlat.

saladdodger
    Free Member

try this link for maps

http://loisirs.ign.fr/visuRechCarto.do?cg=djoxLjEqYzptZXRyb3BvbGUqY3Y6MS4wKnZ2OjEuMSp4eTowLjc5ODA1NTU1NTU1NTU1Nnw0NS42Mjc1KnM6MTAqcHY6MS4wKnA6ZGVjb3V2ZXJ0ZQ%3D%3D#

click on en on the top r/h corner for english if you cannot read french ( like me 😳 )

kitebikeski
    Free Member

Thanks – that is a great site.

Christowkid
    Free Member

I’ve stayed in Les Eyzies several times, though then without a bike.
    It’s a brilliant place to be. I once had a chat with a french biker who’d taken the train to somewhere beyond Les eyzies, and he was cycling home on the GR routes back to Bordeaux, off road, taking ~ 1 week!!!
    It’s wooded, L.E. is in the Vezere valley, so there’s some flat-ish bits. The blue maps are the ones to look out for. Get one and pour over it, preferably with a good glass of red in your hand!
    We’re going slightly east this year to a village just below sarlat, and I see it’s on the convergence of several GR routes, so I’m keeping fingers crossed!
    Also, take the family on one of the many canoe trips, we did last year and all thoroughly enjoyed it. The caves are excellent, one just on outskirts of L.E is Font de Gaume. It was booked solid last year, but if you can get in do, it’s stunning.
    ….. b*gger, got me wanting our hols to come now!!!!
    cheers
    Q

kitebikeski
    Free Member

Cheers for that – looking forward to it now!

hicksville
    Free Member

Loads we stayed for two weeks near Sarlat, get the top 25 ign map brill, loads of short sharp climbs and great singletrack

kitebikeski
    Free Member

Mostly rideable? I’m still recovering from the beating I got for taking the family down a goat track with 40′ drops at the side. Strange kids seemed quite happy……………

snowslave

Yup we went to Montagrier last year – there is defo loads. There’s a small downhill course in Riberac which I only discovered too late on the last day, and literally hundreds of kms of trail all over.

Ambrose

And the locals treat cyclists like Gods. Happy days.

hicksville
    Free Member

all the trails are rideable , lots of goat tracks though. Use the GR in fact I think it was GR 5 is one of the best tracks I have ever ridden, great

Nickquinn293
    Free Member

Stayed in Grolejac last year. Very bike friendly area. Was with kids so nothing too rough. Lots of old railway converted to cycle route away from cars. These routes were criss crossed by numerous proper singletrack though.

Incidentally, if you get the chance, definitely go & see

[/url]

not a bike related thing but just so worth a trip – It’s an evening only park lit by candles everywhere. Not doing it justice, just go see it!

Christowkid
    Free Member

Quinn:
    Just caught up on posts – thanks for that! I’ll definitely get the kids to bring their bikes.
    ….and will check out your advice
    thanks
    Q

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Trails in the Dordogne??’ is closed to new replies.