• This topic has 26 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Trail centre in the the peak district??
  • sambob
    Free Member

i was just wondering if there are any plans for one, and if so, where would it be? i was thinking the goyt valley would be a good place for one, but anyone else got any other ideas?

rolfharris
    Free Member

I think this has been discussed before, and no one really saw the point.

sambob
    Free Member

why not? easy access from manchester and derby/nottingham. plus it would be very close to me 😀

Onzadog
    Free Member

I don't like that idea at all. I'm not against trail centres it's just why would you need one in the peaks? It's perhaps one of the most widely ridden areas in the country. Seems like there's more guide books and published routes there than anywhere else. Also, my biggest fear would be that other trail users would then use it as a platform to try and restrict access to other areas.

sambob
    Free Member

i hadnt thought of that, perhaps its not the best idea.

rolfharris
    Free Member

The point of the peaks is it's easy access and has loads of trails to ride already. There's no need for a centre with all the riders and wonderful trails that are there already.

Bunnyhop

As was discussed a few years ago, the natural riding in the Peaks is so good imo we don't need a trail centre.

jonjon

I quite like the idea of people driving from around the country to race around an abandoned quarry near Buxton..for example…

Brown
    Free Member

There's no 's' in PEAK!

nbt

There's no 's' in PEAK!

Let's not start that one again

Brown
    Free Member

Let's get it right then…

Onzadog
    Free Member

I agree Peak District and not Peaks Districts but it sounds a bit up itself to call it THE Peak whereas "the peaks" is more modest and seems to better suit what it has to offer.
    😈

jezyeti
    Free Member

Ooh I like the PEAKS and always had fun when I have visited. Sometimes the natural aspect of a trail far surpasses any man made effort. Besides it has taken centuries to get it just the way it is, why change it?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

WHY the **** would you put a trail centre into an area of outstanding natural beauty, too many visitors already, no parking facilities, inadequate public transport, and some of the best riding around – are the Peak trails too hard for you?/

crazy-legs

Well said Rob!

Trail centres are for places that could do with the tourist/visitor cash and/or where there is a dearth of natural trails. The Peak District is the busiest National Park in the UK, traffic can be horrendous sometimes and it's got all the trails you could need, good bike shops and good facilities all around (pubs, cafes, B&B's etc).

The last thing it needs is a trail centre – that would start you on the slippery slope towards segregated land use as some of the more militant ramblers keep suggesting.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The best thing about riding in the Peak(s) is not knowing if something is rideable. Everything at trail centres, even all the black stuff, is rideable by a large proportion of people (what's the point spending money on things most people can't use). On natural trails, you don't know if somethings going to work until you try it. Is it best to ride down the big solid boulders on the right or the smaller but looser stuff to the left? Don't get that at trail centres.

jumping_flea
    Free Member

+1 for Rob's statement

porterclough
    Free Member

With regard to Rob and cray-legs' arguments, does anyone think that the Whinlatter trails have had a negative impact on natural riding in the Lake District?

Personally I think that if someone were to add a few new trails in the woods around Ladybower and improve the facilities at Fairholmes a bit, everyone would be a winner. Currently there is nothing around there resembling a "blue" type trail for example – you can either go around the flat roads / fire roads around the dams or do the proper stuff – there's nothing in between.

sambob
    Free Member

chill out, it was just a suggestion :S

antigee

too many signposts already?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

porterclough – Member

With regard to Rob and cray-legs' arguments, does anyone think that the Whinlatter trails have had a negative impact on natural riding in the Lake District?

Personally I think that if someone were to add a few new trails in the woods around Ladybower and improve the facilities at Fairholmes a bit, everyone would be a winner. Currently there is nothing around there resembling a "blue" type trail for example – you can either go around the flat roads / fire roads around the dams or do the proper stuff – there's nothing in between.

And where do you suggest the extra cars that visit park??

Drac

AS pointless as putting them in the Lakes but they did that too or is that Lake?

hora
    Free Member

I'd love to see someone try to create one- you'd have walkers all over it! 🙂

igm

Though the Peaks was a trail centre. There's a White route and a Dark route – no?

BadlyWiredDog

More caffs please. High level ones with comfy sofas and Montezuma hot chocolate on tap.

the-muffin-man

The Peak is effectively one big trail centre anyway!! Just park up (if you can find a space!) at Ladybower and follow all the sheep who think its the only place to ride in the area.

hora
    Free Member

Hey, we could have an overpriced cafe at this trail centre as well. Oh hang on, there already is one in Hope isnt there?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Trail centre in the the peak district??’ is closed to new replies.