• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by br.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • tow-bar nose weights
  • monkeyfiend
    Free Member

After a few threads on transporting 4 bikes, I’ve bought a rear tow bar platform carrier and got some quotes for having a tow-bar fitted.
    Found out today that the cars tow-bar ‘nose weight’ is 75kg.

The carrier is for min 85kg n-w:due to the fact that the carrier is 24kg and it suggests a max of 4 bikes combined weight of 60kg.

So… If I make sure the total weight of carrier and bikes is under 75kg then it’ll be ok? regardless of the what the box says.

Any advice is greatly received,

Phill

coffeeking
    Free Member

Most cars nose weight limit is 75kg, pretty normal. Yes, ideally you need to keep the combined weight <75kg to be within usage specs. Whether you’ll have issues from going over is a different matter. The towbar will be massively over spec’d so it wont exactly snap off but you will get start to make the front end lighter and lighter, affective handling. +-10kg is nothing though.

wwaswas

legally you need to stay under 75kg.

like most thigns there’s probably a margin for error but you’ll probably find that just before the law starts askign awkward questions about nose-weight limits…

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Cheers, thats along my lines of thought.
    It wont be a problem to keep the overall weight to under 75kg.
    However the 4 bike carrier is slighlty longer than a 3 bike carrier and I was wondering if the added leverage will upset anything.
    Obviously the lightest bike will be on the end.

So the rack itself wont be loaded near its max capability.
    The downward force on the tow bar will be on or under its max.

I dont think its worth considering torsional forces and the whole job lot ‘should’ be underated so that it will cope with bouncing over pot holes.

I think I just need someone to pat my shoulder and say ‘it’ll be ok lad’

🙂

austen

I’ve seen plenty of cars with MX/Enduro bikes on the towbar – 120kg + rack – so think you’ll be fine.

For further reassurance have you seen how badly balanced most caravans are – you’re lucky if the cars front wheels are in contact with the ground!

br
    Free Member

Try standing/bouncing on the towbar, if it ‘gives’ then you’ve a problem…

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Thats DIY logic.
    ‘If the shelf takes my weight then all those books will be safe’

wwaswas

you’ll be fine – you’ve done the calculations and have bothered to work out what a safe load is so you’re not just hoping to ‘get away with it’.

br
    Free Member

Thats DIY logic.

Except the car wouldn’t be moving…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘tow-bar nose weights’ is closed to new replies.