Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Todays scary moment
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

In order to stop the council putting another statutory notice on my building to remove some loose slates they have now decided are a hazard that need urgent action despite it being 2 months sine I told them about it I got Bikepawl to help me abseil off he roof to pick them up

I hate heights. Nearly shit myself.

That’s close enough to the edge by paul.newman4279, on Flickr

Terra Firma by paul.newman4279, on Flickr

theflatboy
    Free Member

top photo’s fairly good shitting posture as well – at least it would have cleared the building!

geoffj

No helmet? 😯

mogrim

So that’s what happened to Bagpuss!!! His tail, turned into a rope 🙁

faz083
    Free Member

that sentence is hard to read

hugor
    Free Member

Better you didn’t use your helmet or you might have felt so safe that you wouldn’t have bothered with the rope.

What tyres for that little trail in th garden below?

singlecrack
    Free Member

What no rain …!!!

flippinheckler
    Free Member

That 2nd pic was taken on a flat roof with the camera at an angle 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No way could I ever feel safe on there. Two ropes – one safety rope on an automatic device thingy that locks off by itself and is being tended by a experienced climber and one rope with an ordinary ab device and I still shit myself big time.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

flippinheckler – Member

That 2nd pic was taken on a flat roof with the camera at an angle

Indeed – thats me clinging to the flat roof in relief at being back on it

chewkw
    Free Member

Did you shite yourself? 😆

Cougar

That 2nd pic was taken on a flat roof with the camera at an angle

Hence the title.

one safety rope on an automatic device thingy that locks off by itself and is being tended by a experienced climber

It’s a Gri-gri, anchored to a static rope by the looks of it. I reviewed the pictures to see if you were going to die or not. (-:

flippinheckler
    Free Member

😳

itstig

“After placing surface to air missiles on the roof TJ absails back to his underground lair………”

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

🙂

leffeboy

haha well done. I had to do that once and similarly found it pant filling and it wasn’t even a proper Burghy height roof.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Actually itstig there was an antiaircraft gun on the roof in the war

davidjones15
    Free Member

I do get worried when I see things like that. How many H&S regs were broken? I’ve seen too many amateurs come croppers in situations like that, and it’s not pretty.
    I’d dread to think what would happen if everyone decided it would be a good idea to abseil down their roofs. I’m gald you got off safely.

bruneep

FFS I used to do roof repairs, I would’ve done that without any rope.

Did the loose/missing ones get replaced?

legend
    Free Member

How many H&S regs were broken?

about as many as when any climber goes climbing perhaps? 🙄

matt_outandabout

Is that the Olympic missile site?

Nice one TJ.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bruneep – its dodgier than it looks – its a dead fall off the edge and a lot of loose slates – I didn’t replace them – I didn’t have any slates to do so but its now safe as in no slates are going to fall on anyone below

davidjones No H&S regs were broken – its my roof. A very experienced climber controlling the situation ( not me). ab rope and safety rope separately tied off to parts of the roof that ain’t gonna shift. perfectly safe. Far safer than most rock climbing where you would only have a single rope.

leffeboy

It’s funny how even though logically you know that you are safe with two ropes and a harness – your head doesn’t always go for it. It makes me uncomfortable just to look at that but I know ‘real’ climbers wouldn’t have a problem 🙁

hugor
    Free Member

TJ: I hate heights. Nearly shit myself.

TJ: A very experienced climber controlling the situation

grahamh
    Free Member

that but I know ‘real’ climbers wouldn’t have a problem

Yes they would 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

TJ
    A very experienced climber controlling the situation ( not me).

No way would I have set it up and done it myself but I trust that man with my life – I have done on the mountains as well.

hugor
    Free Member

Well done TJ. I wouldn’t have done it myself cause I have a heights thing too.
    With such unusually sunny weather in Scotland why weren’t you out in some spectacular mountain location instead of your shitty roof!

bruneep

a lot of loose slates – I didn’t replace them

so now you will have water ingress?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hasn’t in the 2 months its been like that – the loose slates were all lying in the valley gutter.

Its a scottish roof – sarking boards and felt under the slates not just slats

Obviously it needs a proper repair an I have just got a quote for that – and will have to argue with the council about liability for it. It will be repaired soon. Any leak would not going into my property anyway

bruneep

Its a scottish roof – sarking boards and felt under the slates not just slats

Yes I know used to slate them. 😉 If I was in the “burger” I would’ve done it for you. Tools still in the shed.

Any leak would not going into my property anyway

😀

timbur
    Free Member

If you were so scared why not send the experienced chap to sort out the tiles???

You loved it really!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It makes sense to have the experienced chap controlling the situation and hes a bastid and wants to see me suffer so he made me. thats his payment – watching me suffer

maccruiskeen

How does that song go?

“Johnny’s in the basement mixing up the medicine, I’m on the rooftops pissing on pedestrians”

I think thats how it goes but I need to hear it on a Maxell cassette

Spongebob
    Free Member

No way could I ever feel safe on there. Two ropes – one safety rope on an automatic device thingy that locks off by itself and is being tended by a experienced climber and one rope with an ordinary ab device and I still shit myself big time.

What a big girl!

It makes sense to have the experienced chap controlling the situation and hes a bastid and wants to see me suffer so he made me. thats his payment – watching me suffer

I’d have paid to watch that!

althepal

Done something similar on a tenement roof in Edinburgh many many years ago. No rope, telly aerial needed put back up.. Twin peaked roof so out the roof hatch a few feet onto the peak and in between both peaks to the chimney.
    Absolutely one of the stupidest things I have done (ok, top 5) but the reception was great afterwards..

maccruiskeen

rickmeister

Top tip, take the mastic gun with you next time then the broken ones can be stuck back in…..

BadlyWiredDog

Try abbing off ‘soft pro’ – basically a knotted sling jammed in a crack with a very wobbly peg as back-up… one of the least pleasant things I’ve ever done. I would willingly have swapped pretty much everything I owned for a teleporter or even just a bomb-proof anchor. It always makes me laugh when people talk about abseiling as if it’s some sort of adventure sport in its own right. Bleurgh…

cheese@4p

Lots of climbers hate abseiling and for good reason, lots of them die that way through gear failure, innatention to detail, anchor failure, rockfall etc.
    It is more dangerous that the actual climbing.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Its not the abseiling thats dangerous, or the falling. Its that bastid ground that im scared of…… 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Todays scary moment’ is closed to new replies.