Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • tips on buying from the USA
  • wl
    Free Member

Anyone know roughly what the additional tax costs are (in %) when you buy from the States, and how best to avoid these costs, if that’s possible? Thinking of some 55RC3s, and just wondering where to get them from and whether the US would be cost effective. Can anyone recommend a reliable US shop? Ta.

Crell
    Free Member

+ shipping
    + import duty (14%? on components – though google for an answer)
    + “handling fee” – £20 or so
    + VAT @ 20% on the lot

You may not get hit by VAT or import duty if you’re lucky – just factor in having to pay it.

Jensons, Cambria… there are loads of good shops who export.

Savings are pretty marginal usually unless you find a bargain. You can’t “avoid” them, and if you use a good bike shop they’ll use a good shipping company who’ll “manage” the import process.

The alternative is get a flight and have a big suitcase.

jota180
    Free Member

This should help

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

I’ve heard tales of some US retailers shipping stuff as warranty replacement, I – of course – have no experience of such things

MrTall
    Free Member

I used a chap in 2009 who was happy to put the customs price declaration at his actual replacement cost so it was cheaper for me but still allowed him to replace it with the insurance if it got lost in the post.

I bought an XL 29er frame and 29er forks and the total duty/fees cost was £113 and the postage £56. The frame was £1225 (it was £1300 in the UK)and the forks were $553. I’m told Jenson, Speedgoat etc will not mark down the cost for the customs declaration but i may be mistaken.

Exchange rate was a little bit better at the time though as well.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘tips on buying from the USA’ is closed to new replies.