Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Time for new tyres (again I know, sorry)
  • stayhigh

Morning All

Im in need of a new pair of tyres for my Heckler and wondering over the possibilities. I usually have the same front and back but thinking of trying a combo this time.

I’ve been thinking maybe an Ignitor up front and a Crossmark out back but have also been looking at Laursens or Kenda SB8’s. I mainly do general trail riding with trips to Wales when I can during the year.

Cheers all 🙂

tony24
    Free Member

I just took a ignitor off the front as it was letting go to easy. Just changed to a maxxis advantage and its much better for grip.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

High roller front, (SPC, maxxpro, folding)

High roller semi slick rear (lots of cornering grip, no rolling resistance)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

Small Block 8’s stunningly good, when it’s dry. Surprisingly not too lethal in the wet but still not good. Larsen IMO was rendered totally redundant by the Small Block, it does the exact same job better.

Are there still cheap 2.25 Evo Nobby Nics around? I’m liking that as a fast-ish rear tyre just now.

DT78
    Free Member

Well, I’ve just put on new rubber (oooo eeerrr) – 2.25 Advantage / 2.25 Crossmark based on mates feedback – replacing schwalbe NN / RR combo which didn’t last very long at all (Ralph lasted about 6 rides before I tore it)

Northwind

That’d get my vote then, excellent rear tyre. Didn’t like it much on the front mind.

stayhigh

Nobby Nics seem a popular choice and a good prive from On One. Is there any real difference/beneift between the Evo & the ORC variants and can they be run tubeless?

Northwind: What would you have for the front then?

DT78: How are you finding the Advantage/Crossmark?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I love advantage crossmark combo, I’d reccomend it to you as our riding seems simular. Crossmarks seem to last a while too on the back.

Northwind

stayhigh – Member

Northwind: What would you have for the front then?

Still don’t know tbh! I’ve stuck with my 2.35 Nevegals just because I haven’t found anything I like more but they’re slow, and not as grippy as they could be. My pointless quest continues…

DT78
    Free Member

Well, I’ve only done one local woodsy rooty dry ride on my new advantage/crossmark combo. I can say it is amazing how much proper tyres can actually grip. Thats not to say the NN/RR combo was bad, but this is definitley much much more confidence inspiring, I think the schwalbe tyres drop off in grip pretty quick once they get part worn. You do notice the extra 400g or so extra rolling weight of the maxxis combo. Can’t wait to take them to rockier trails.

stayhigh

Hmmm, I’m still none the wiser and payday looms large. Tomorrow in fact 😀

Sounds like good grip but heavy for the advantage/crossmark and lighter with decent grip but faster wearing for the Swalbes. Shame really as their a bit more wallet friendly.

lunge

I think the ADvantage is a good rear tyre but not great at the front. I like a High Roller or a Minion DHF at the front and an ADvantage or a Conti RaceKing (but only when it is dry and fast).

neninja
    Free Member

Maxxis Advantage Exception 2.1 are about the same volume as a 2.25 Nobby Nic and about the same weight.

I’m running an Advantage Exception 2.1 on the rear but swapped the front out for a 2.2 Rubber Queen black chili as the Advantage felt a bit sketchy on the front since the trails have dried and got looser.

Ran a 2.25 Nobby Nic front and 2.1 Ralph for most of last year and they were really quick rolling and coped with most things but the Ralph wore very rapidly.

I prefer the current Rubber Queen BC / Advantage combo even if it is heavier.

stayhigh

I’ve just been looking at Bontrager tyres as I like my Mud X’s. What do people think about the XR4 TLR and the XR1 as a summer combo? The XR4 is a bit heavy at 720g…

Hmmm

stayhigh

I’m going to go with a bontrager xr1 2.2 on the rear and a crossmark 2.25 upfront.

Whats the best compound to get for the crossmark and do they go up ok tubeless or am I best off getting the LUST?

glenp
    Free Member

Unfashionable, but Specialized tyres are excellent all-rounders and great value too. And tubeless compatible.

stayhigh

I was looking at the earlier, the captains iirc. Do you use them, what are they like?

scruff
    Free Member

XR4 TLRs are superb all rounders. I’ve had XR2’s aswell, great fast DRY tyres.

glenp
    Free Member

I’ve got a Purgatory on the front at the mo – love it. It’s nice and big without being ludicrously chunky, and very confidence inspiring. Eskars have a good rep too. Never used Captains, but I imagine they are more of the same. The old Resolution Pros were fab too, but you can’t et them now.

stayhigh

How well would you say the XR4’s rolled compared to say a Crossmark? Thinking of the difference in tread patterns and the extra 140grams or so.

amphibian
    Free Member

Beware Crossmark eXCeptions if you ride anything remotely rocky as the sidewalls are feeble. It really upsets me to put a £38 tyre in the bin after only a few rides! I’ve just put a Spesh Captain on the rear tyre. Haven’t ridden on it yet but sealed really easily with Stans(tubeless ready), seams quite robust and only cost £23 from my lbs.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Eskars have a good rep too.

if your name is Torvill or Dean!

Shackleton

I used an ADvantage/Crossmark F/R combo on my Heckler and it worked nicely for pootles and gentle trail centre stuff. Start pussing it and the crossmark drift round corners nicely. Ragging it on harder and/or rockier terrain I managed to pull the crossmark off the rim, tear the side wall twice and holed the ADvantage. Put them on a more genteel hardtail and they are much happier there!

I guess it depend where and how you ride but for a Heckler I’d be looking at Minion / High roller (what I use), Conti Barons/Rubber Queens, Bonty XR4, etc. with high volumes and tougher side walls to take the punishment the Heckler encourages.

rugbydick

I’m running the new Panaracer Cedric Gracia 2.35 All Conditions front and rear.
    I can’t speak highly enough of them.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Time for new tyres (again I know, sorry)’ is closed to new replies.