Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • This week's Grand Designs
  • 40mpg

Concrete can be considered low environmental impact if it uses recycled aggregate. And it can of course be crushed & recycled & used all over again.

40mpg

Oh and after the building inspector has been you remove the handrails. Simples.

fotorat
    Free Member

I was looking forward to the roof going on, and then they put a rabbit hutch cover on it WTF!!

or was it a caravan roof!!!!

with no roof and the upstairs made of wood, sounds like a temporary structure to me, 20 years max..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Concrete can be considered low environmental impact if it uses recycled aggregate. And it can of course be crushed & recycled & used all over again.

Recycled aggregate is rare. I don’t know of any concrete plant that uses it. Although I do know of recycled asphalt in use. And of course to recycle concrete you have to rip it up, transport it, crush it, grade it, transport it again, mix it, and then transport it again

We do stock recycled concrete in our yard, but it’s only used as bulk fill or sub-base

kaysee

The house is only over the road from me, and if anyone would like Kathryn’s mobile number…. I wouldn’t mention her ears though…

mrchrispy

missed a trick when she didn’t design in a tunnel from the house to the man cave….and its for that reason, I’m out!

ratadog

Like others, I liked the house and thought that it looked like it really worked as a home. It was a great advert for the designer.

The house is only over the road from me, and if anyone would like Kathryn’s mobile number…. I wouldn’t mention her ears though…

Which presumably means that Kathryn will in due course be perusing this thread if only out of curiosity. In which light some of the posts in this thread may qualify for a tag entitled Might on balance have been better phrased.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

She’s probably heard already.

oops

Trekster

it used timber from sustainable sources, like English oak.

Been wondering how “sustainable” oak actually is given the number of projects we see using it? It also has to be harvested and machine cut to be affordable(wrecking blades ime!! )

ChrisL

I also liked the fact that once they had moved in it did actually look lived in (lots of “stuff” everywhere, books, ceramics etc), something rare in most Grand Designs.

Agreed. Usually I admire the houses on the show until I think how they’d look if I lived there – all of the sleek, minimalist, modernist houses would look terrible as they filled up with books, bikes and other stuff. A house designed to be full of stuff and with book shelves being part of the design is great.

I thought the BF was hilarious, too. The looks he gave when he commented how living in the house was like living in Kathryn’s head and when she said she needed to learn to relax had me in stitches. 🙂

granny_ring

Watched it a couple of hours ago.

Loved the house……..and Kathryn. He’s a lucky lad :mrgreen:

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Can you ask her about the handrail?

And if we’re thinking about our favourite episodes, I think mine might be the one where the bloke rebuilt the almost totally ruined tower/castle (up N somewhere) that included the bit where the builders accidentally let a massive internal wall fall down on camera – very Fred Dibnah.

LImecrete is a more environmentally friendly alternative to concrete.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘This week's Grand Designs’ is closed to new replies.