Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 161 total)
  • This volcano and cancelled flights
  • finishthat
    Free Member

from the BBC website :
    "Such a large eruption… would have the potential to severely affect air travel at high northern latitudes for six months or more.
    "In relation to the current eruption, it is worth noting that the last eruption of Eyjafjallajoekull lasted more than 12 months."

Buy nice touring cycle and cycle north home over the next couple of weeks .
    then catch ferry, meeting loved ones at UK port.

zokes
    Free Member

Tinfoil hat for yeti_guy…

Harry_the_Spider

Conspiracy?

miketually
    Free Member

The eruption could go on for months or years…

Apparently, tonight's sunset is going to be amazing, because of the ash.

IdleJon

yeti guy – Member
    Is it just me that smells conspiracy. Ash that noone can see stops
    ALL flights over UK airspace.

Hmmm ?

I'm not sure about conspiracies but I'm a little puzzled as to why ALL flights in the UK have been cancelled while I'm staring at an almost cloudless sky here in S Wales. It's been the same all day.

miketually – Member

Apparently, tonight's sunset is going to be amazing, because of the ash.

But that means that the ash cloud has to get here within the next 3 or 4 hours – anybody got any yet?

Maybe the ash will arrive just in time for this evening's ride?

zokes
    Free Member

IdleJohn – Too idle to read the whole story then? It's high up and dispersed, you can't see it from down here…

yetiguy
    Free Member

What is this Ash you speak of?

Hands up who has seen it

mogrim

Hey, think yourself lucky – you aren't stuck in Atlanta Georgia, and worrying about having to spend an extra few days in the land of mediocre cheese and crap beer. My flight is tomorrow, so I'm crossing my fingers.

Just for you, all thanks to the wonders of Google: http://www.beer100.com/brewpubs_a_to_k/georgia.htm

zokes
    Free Member

I suppose I shouldn't feed the troll, but….

yeti guy – Member

What is this Ash you speak of?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8621407.stm

Looks quite clear to me…

IdleJon

zokes, yes, I missed the 'invisible' bit.

A shame, I was looking forward to seeing a volcanic plume across the sky. 😆

Anyway, planes crashing killing presidents, earthquakes happening everywhere, volcanoes stopping flights halfway across Europe – it's all down to Ming the Merciless..

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

and this all started after they started the Hydron collider

piha
    Free Member

I blame Thatcher.

mogrim

it's all down to Ming the Merciless

Can I be the first to lay claim to Princess Aura, then?

Jerome
    Free Member

Well our guests for the weekend are not coming..
    Woo-hoo – can ride my bike !!

IdleJon

WorldClassAccident – Member
    and this all started after they started the Hydron collider

Is that like the Hadron Collider but with added water features?

kimbers

i dont think the ash is nececssarily visible to the naked eye

derek_starship
    Free Member

We'll be having flash forwards next 😮

molgrips
    Free Member

an almost cloudless sky here in S Wales

Don't expect some kind of Independence Day style rolling clouds of darkness…

The BA flight 9 thing where all engines failed had perfect visibility the whole time it was flying into the ash.

IdleJon

thanks molgrips, we've already established my stupidity!

kimbers

this flight grounding will be good for the environment

for a few hours a few less tonnes of aviation fuel will be being burnt

although im not sure what dammages the tonnes of volcanic ash will do

personally i think the eruption was triggered by disgruntled ba cabin staff

CountZero

According to the news earlier the plume consists of tiny particles of rough glass, ash and rock/pumice, that melts when it gets into the jets' combustion chamber then cools as it exits, coating turbine blades, stalling the engine. The pilot of that 1982 747 said that navigation lights were scoured opaque, paint was completely stripped off of the fusilage, and the windshield was frosted. You wouldn't want to be breathing that crap, that's for sure. Worth looking out for amazing sunsets for a couple of days or so.

molgrips
    Free Member

John maybe you were just too idle to follow the link in the other thread 🙂

kevonakona
    Free Member

Well after a week of great biking in southern Spain. I'm now stuck here with no info from BA. It would appear that the Spanish office is now closed. The only information i have is that the next flight i can book onto is the 21st. Apparently they cancelled the flight 5 hours before i got my boarding card (how can you get a boarding card for a cancelled flight?).

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Well, I am hiring a MPV tomorrow lunchtime, driving 6 of us up to Calais and hoping to get a foot passenger ferry crossing. Ferries will not allow people to book anymore.

Anyone on here got a boat and fancy picking us up from Calais?

Kahurangi

cbike
    Free Member

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Of Fu it I may just stay on in Munich

Flaperon

Manchester airport was like a crypt today. Hid my airline ID on the bus ride back to the hotel to avoid difficult questions…

BillMC

I flew in from JFK this morning and I feel quite lucky to be here. Heathrow had lots of queues to queues.

BigJohn

Because we're in a period of high pressure (weather wise) which means the winds aren't blowing much, there's a good possibility this is going to hang about for days.

As somebody said on radio 5 – big clouds of dense uncertainty, country grinding to a halt, doom and gloom everywhere, and that's just the election.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Just for you, all thanks to the wonders of Google: http://www.beer100.com/brewpubs_a_to_k/georgia.htm

I know, in fact I've just been to one of them. I'm still 4125 miles away from my heavily pregnant wife, and not a clue how I'm gonna get back, as my flight getting home Saturday has now been cancelled, and BA are not picking up the phone (and nothing of use on their website).

Joe

M6TTF
    Free Member

British airspace closed til at least 7pm this evening

kevonakona
    Free Member

They, BA, have cancelled flights and you have to phone to re-book but i'm in Spain and it's getting pricey. Are they allowed to cancel the flight and make me re-book when i'm sitting at the gate? Have absolutey no info from BA about the procedures we need to follow. If it is a re-book i'm here for another 6 days at least.

Marge
    Free Member

poo.
    Why do these things always happen in my own time & never during work hours 🙁

higgo
    Free Member

Stuck in Stockholm for the weekend – I know there are worse places to be stuck.

I was due to fly home yesterday morning 6.25am (UK time) and had got as far as the gate before the flight was cancelled. It was the first flight to be cancelled here so I saw it coming and booked a hotel through to Sunday.

I'm booked now to fly home first thing Sunday morning, assuming things get going again. If they don't I guess it's time to go clothes shopping as I'm due back here Mon evening for all of next week anyway.

Stu

I'm stranded in Amsterdam – granted there are worse places to be! Bit boring on your own though so if anyone else is stuck here and fancies a beer email me (address in profile). Good test of the power of STW…

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

You can smell it here now in Surrey. A faint bad egg sort of smell everywhere, and the viz is rubbish.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you are in Stockholm you've got at least an overland/water way of getting home. I suggest you hire a car and start driving 🙂

to avoid difficult questions…

Are people really giving airline staff a hard time? I'd just ask them if they want their plane to drop out of the sky or not. Then if it got really bad I'd print out flyers with the BA9 story on them.

kevonakona
    Free Member

Well BA have put us up for another night, guess that means they are going to fly us out sometime. Ha-HA to the smug git who was parading around last night letting everyone know he'd managed to re-book for Tuesday.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Stuck in Stockholm for the weekend

do you eventually become bored of gorgeous blondes ?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 161 total)

The topic ‘This volcano and cancelled flights’ is closed to new replies.