• This topic has 32 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by will.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Thetford Conditions
  • Buzzard
    Free Member

Assuming it rains from now until Sat – what are the conditions likely to be for the D2D? Mud tires? Will we be carrying our bikes around every lap?

Never raced the D2D, so some local guidance appreciated

hels
    Free Member

I fitted mud tires last night, so probably dry ! Figured if I went pessimistic might get some good news.

dizcostix
    Free Member

thetford takes ages to dry out except for the 100m stretch of shale/stone surface they’ve laid.

Buzzard
    Free Member

So not looking good then. better get the wet weather kit out

john_l
    Free Member

I’m more concerned about the wind!

hels
    Free Member

Wind – is it not mostly in the trees the course there ?

thecrackfox
    Free Member

Make sure you’ve got some spare disc brake pads as all that gravel will sand paper them back to metal if its anything like two years ago.

Mud Xs for me probably, fast (ish) rolling on the gravel bits and clear well in the mud. But it is never clarty sticky mud, just muddy mud if you know what I mean.

stumpy01

Will probably be quite sloppy at the moment. I’m gonna fit some mud tyres to a second set of wheels tonight and will be using mud guards I reckon.

I reckon the bomb holes will be proper bottlenecks for a while as some can be hard to get out of in the dry, let alone the wet!

Wind shouldn’t be too bad, apart from some of the open sections. Not normally a problem there.

hels
    Free Member

Who needs brakes at Thetford – I did a whole 4 hour enduro with no rear brake couple years ago and won (one of those “women know your limits” moments – don’t try to fix yout own brakes.)

The mud will brake for you…

I know somebody with 650 ‘cross wheels – but am thinking that might be cheating !

john_l
    Free Member

Wind – is it not mostly in the trees the course there ?

exactly!

thecrackfox
    Free Member

Obviously not pumping enough speed out of the course if you don’t need to use brakes. 😉

hels
    Free Member

nah – brakes are for wimps …

thecrackfox
    Free Member

Take them off then, they are only slowing you down with their air resistance.

slowjo
    Free Member

It is lovely here at the moment. Dry, blue sky and I’m working with the door and windows open.

I rode on Tuesday in the rain and I will be riding 2.25 Ralphs.

If it gets a bit cacky I’ll let some pressure out otherwise that’s it. IMO RRs are fine all year round at Thetford… it is all I’ve used for years anyway.

As a concession to the rain gods I’ll be taking some old IRC Mythos down but I don’t expect to use them. The most pessimistic locals seem to be riding RR/Nic combos or just Nics.

john_l
    Free Member

I still have nightmares from 2 years ago…..

bigsi
    Free Member

john_l – Member
    I still have nightmares from 2 years ago…..

Shudders at the memory,,,,,, goes to dig the Mud X’s out of the shed 🙁

hels
    Free Member

Slowjo – nice try but we ain’t falling for it. Ralphs are suicidal in the wet, they are too wide for cutting mud properly, let too much air out and they will fall off the rims.

I’m thinking 1.5s. Or Trail-rakers I am sure I have some of those kicking about…

thecrackfox
    Free Member

Whooaa. That has got me worried do I need to dig my Conti Cross Countrys out?

hels
    Free Member

And so the psychological warfare begins…

c_klein87

is it looking that bad? i’m reluctant to take my maxxis crossmarks off and the weather is looking ok for saturday night now, or is it generally muddy in thetford?

Jason
    Free Member

It won’t be that bad will it..

In 2008, when it was a little bit wet (LOL) I managed fine on Crossmarks, admittedly I was soloing so wasn’t hammering it around the course. I can only remember one short section of track where the tyres wouldn’t grip. Actually I did give up trying to ride out of the bomb holes after a while, but I don’t think I was the only one. I normally find something fast rolling works best at Thetford.

For this year my geared bike has Racing Ralphs and the singlespeed has pretty worn out 2.25 Nobby Nics. I don’t think I will bother to fit anything mud specific. If it is wet I am sure I will be ok on the Nics.

slowjo
    Free Member

You really don’t believe me do you?

I’ll be riding RRs.

It isn’t muddy here atm, one or two holes are squidgy in the bottom otherwise it seems to be riding quite fast. IMO Jason is spot on. On current conditions, if you come equipped with mud tyres you’ll be on the wrong rubber. Bring them as spares if you must.

Unless we have torrential rain you’ll be in more trouble from sliuppy roots etc than drowning in mud.

Moe

Well it’s 08:30 here in the woods and still no rain ….yet. Yesterday afternoon the course was riding nicely just a few puddles but if you believe the Met folks it won’t last 🙁

bobalong
    Free Member

It’s not looking good, great weather at the moment, but that’s going to change!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ee/thetford_forecast_weather.html

Rain to start at the start and continue for the whole race.

2.1 NN on front 1.8 NN on back, Perfect combo IMO.

martinb
    Free Member

Hels,

Watch out for Hillingdon Triathletes, but we’re leaving the fally off ones at home, apart from James.

See you out there

Martin

slowjo
    Free Member

bobalong…. I was out with a mate the other night, that combo is exactly what he was riding and intends to ride. Unlike him I’ll be a billy no mates doing solo.

bobalong
    Free Member

Solo riders – Real respect, but you’re mad.

Stumpy….We’re going to be there with the Streetlife teams. Pop over for a catch up.

Good luck everyone.

tarka_the_rotter
    Free Member

Martinb – “fally off” – moi?

My ridiculous cream Rapha waterproof is going to look a treat come Sunday morning, covered in blood and mud!

flange
    Free Member

I’ll be there in a yellow stow road kit to start with, a brown Stow road kit in the middle and a black, torn, mad max style Stow road kit at the end.

BRING
    IT
    ON

toby1

I’d listen to slowjo – he knows his forest 🙂

Thetford soil is sandy, so much of it in the open drains brillinatly. Under the trees in parts it can get muddy, but no tyre is going to be great there anyway. The larger percentage of ground will be quick rolling I’d suspect – hence the Ralph recommendations.

Go tacky at your peril!!!!

norcbot
    Free Member

Just got back from there. Not a lot of mud around despite the rain. The only bad ish bits were under cover like toby1 said.

Hornet600
    Free Member

There has been a lot of rain here this afternoon / evening, I live 15mins drive from Thetford, so can’t promise it was the same there but very likely. Heavy rain due for duration of race really and again by lunchtime on Sunday!
    Realy want to take to the singlespeed but long sections of firetrack……..decisions!!

will
    Free Member

What’s it doing now then? Sunny now but were driving from Nottingham…

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Thetford Conditions’ is closed to new replies.