Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • The West Lothian Question.
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Well stoatsbrother came in with that old canard of Scotland taking subsidy. its london that takes the subsidy – scotland provides the money.

I am quite aware of why I get stick – you little tories cannot take the truth. It upsets you to be challenged on your predjudicves

gonefishin
    Free Member

Edit: You might be right by the way but I dont think you are.

That election was a hung parliament so didn’t produce an outright majority, which was part of the point I made. In 1974 there was no such thing as the west lothian question though as there was no devolution.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Think TJ has it right. There are so few things that are England only due to the Barnett formula that it would be very difficult to separate them out.

Why not just have an English parliament and devolve all powers to Scotland (and Wales if they want them) and we can remain the Union in all but name.

As mentioned earlier the West Lothian question is a lot more important when unpopular measures get voted through due to the Scots MPs supporting the main party, but as that isn’t the case at the moment, I don’t see why its being brought up as a big deal at the moment?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

is a lot more important when unpopular measures get voted through due to the Scots MPs supporting the main party,

But this has never happened.

gonefishin
    Free Member

But this has never happened.

I’d be careful making that claim for individual votes in westminster unless you really can back it up. I know that I for one would rather watch paint dry than count up the individual votes of MPs on every piece of legilsation.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

~Fair enough – but I think its true – even the close votes during the end of the blair years would still have been won without the scots votes

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

TJ A few things

1) This isn’t a troll. It is a news story today. Check the BBC.
    2) I am not a Tory. Never have been.
    3) I said in one post London does as nearly well as Scotland on funding.
    4) I thought TJ you were English but in Scotland? So it would be a funny way to have a go at you… Sorry if I had this wrong.

Personally, I’d like to see an independent Scotland, not in the “let’s just get rid of that troublesome bunch” way I have sometimes felt about the Northern Irish, but because an independent Scotland seems to make geographical and historical and political sense.

What do you think? Why don’t the Scots want to be independent?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Stoatsbrother – we are at cross purposes again – my crack was at McBoo. I didn’t think you were having a go at me but McBoo was clearly. However you did say that old canard about the subsidy – and its irritating as its not true.

I am a brit of english descent and Scotland is my home. Its nearly as complex as the west lothian question

I don’t really understand why the polls show a majority against independence

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

“Only three people…have ever really understood the west lothian business—the Prince Consort, who is dead—a German professor, who has gone mad—and I, who have forgotten all about it.”

Northwind

The solution is so simple that it’s absurd that people still argue about it. The question isn’t “Why should scottish MPs have influence over English only matters”- it’s “Why are we debating English only matters in the UK parliament.”

It’s in the hands of the English to resolve their regional problem if they choose, it’s not up to the Scots to change how they vote in our national parliament.

Devolve or STFU.

konabunny
    Free Member

an independent Scotland seems to make geographical and historical and political sense. What do you think?

“Historical sense” – meh.

Why don’t the Scots want to be independent?

Because devolution has seen some truly spectacular failures and incredible amateurism at Holyrood, as well as some reasonable successes.

The west lothian question is unanswerable really.

It’s one of the most easily answered constitutional questions there is, to the point that it may not even be a question but an item on the “should do but politically inconvenient” list.

ahwiles
    Free Member

a guess: the majority of people in scotland don’t want it?

just a guess…

as for

historical sense

when do we reclaim northern france then?

slackin101
    Free Member

To say that there is no Westminster influence over the Scottish Parliament seems to be overstating it a bit, or at least it did until the last bout of Scottish elections.

The last Labour administration in Scotland was completely controlled by the Westminster party. Some would claim that to be one of the reasons why they turned out to be somewhat unpopular.

seosamh77
    Free Member

All for a complete separtion of voting power from england, however scotland should be given autonomy to decide our own fate in all matters too..independence if you will… 🙂

slackin101
    Free Member

I think people are generally frightened by wholesale change. If there ever is a referendum on independence then I think people will be influenced strongly by horror stories from the anti-independence camp.

konabunny
    Free Member

when do we reclaim northern france then?

Surely the question would be “when does Northern France reclaim England”?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_I_of_England

richmtb

Amen Brother.

Give it time…

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘The West Lothian Question.’ is closed to new replies.