Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • The Malvern's – 3D machined model
  • stevied
    Free Member

With great help from Klunk, it’s taking shape. Done the test piece in aluminium as it’s what I had to hand. Just need to run the finishing path and do some engraving:

Stevet1
    Free Member

Nice. Great gift idea BTW.

tthew

What size is it? Will it fit in a camelback so you can use it as a 3D map, and are you going to paint it with roads, footpaths, bridleways etc. to make it more functional?

Obviously you won’t need contour lines.

(only joking, I like that. Can you give us a link to the original thread about producing it, I missed that one.)

aracer
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/profile/stevied – scroll down to threads started (I believe in teaching a man to fish)

Looking good

stevied
    Free Member

Currently 315mm x 63mm but can scale up or down easily now.
    Original thread here: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/turning-contours-into-a-3d-model

lovewookie

That is awesome, I shall forward the thread to the wife for christmas ideas.

I do miss home. 🙁

I’d like it a little wider, to put the hills in context with the east and west. But then I’d probably have two, one painted up with the landuses and one with solid geology.

Stoner
    Free Member

I can see my house! No. Wait. It’s a bit of swarf….

stevied
    Free Member

Finish cut came out a bit like digital camo so need to have a play with settings.

ski
    Free Member

What a neat idea 🙂 out of interest could you make it with other materials such as a block of seasoned Oak?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Thats cool!

Doubles up as lincolnshire on the reverse side 😆

Stoner
    Free Member

Go on, mister. How much?

stevied
    Free Member

Ski, can do it out of most materials but think oak might be a bit too grainy to get a decent finish. Will be trying to get some decent plywood asap as I think that would look great..
    Stoner, no idea yet. How much do you think they would be worth?

jag61

great project, could you vac form it and make some casts for the masses?

everyone
    Free Member

If you call yourself an artisan then you can easily add 50% on whatever price you decide!

perchypanther
    Free Member

If you call yourself an artisan then you can easily add 50% on whatever price you decide!

Gnartisan, surely?

qwerty
    Free Member

Cool, i’d love to see one of Strouds five valleys.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Would be really nice in some sort of laminated material like ply but with thinner sections. I reckon it would emphasise the gradient a bit more.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Noice!

I had to draw the buggers once. In a semicircle to fit a beermat. There’re always more summits than you think. Yours is much cooler even if computeriserised!

*Edit. You must do May Hill, the outlier…

pedlad

V impressed sir.

Surprised how small in height and volume British camp looks compared to W beacon (I think I’m looking at the right bit)

Still, with no trees, the conservators are happy 😉

i_like_food

Love it, great present idea.

funkrodent

That’s great! Please add me to the list of people who would like to know once you have decided on pricing. Spent much of my childhood in and around the Malvern Hills, special place in me heart

mrchrispy

Looks awesome, how about a smaller on as a keyring?
    (a mint idea I’m sure you’ll agree)

Stoner
    Free Member

Id love to see it in ply wood, with 2x vertical scale and a thinner base below datum. About 500mm x 120mm.

I hate to bid up the price too much, but I reckon £25-50 wouldn’t be too far away in wood.

I have no idea what an aluminium blank costs.

In the right place, with the right presentation, though I reckon you could ask £100.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Further to my comment above about laminated materials. It would be doubly awesome if it were possible to match the thickness of the laminations to the actual height gain so each layer was the equivalent of 10m.

bigjim

Very cool. Something like this but less extortionate and you could be on a winner!

http://duffylondon.com/product/tables/abyss-table/

kelvin

very nice

grtdkad

Nice. Could be interested depending on materials and £s

Travis

I’m missing home too….
    That would lovely somewhere in my house….

wwaswas

Not read the previous thread but would be great if people could send you a set of OS ‘squares’ that includes the area that they want rendered and you translate that into one of these 3D things.

Everyone (except the flat landers) gets to own their local/favourite topography.

Klunk
    Free Member

Everyone (except the flat landers) gets to own their local/favourite topography.

you can always cheat with the vertical scale.

bikebouy
    Free Member

What an excellent idea. I’d be quickly setting up a small company and offer production of favorite areas and some special focus areas as a standard (Mendips/Chilterns/South Downs etc.) with a small premium on the special requirements.
    Offer in a range of materials, not too many…

Enjoy making them

Enjoy selling them.

When you have this set up I’d like one of the Ironbridge Gorge and one of my bit of the South Downs.

Crack on Son.. 😀

jimdubleyou

North Downs please, in 3mm 3-ply, each mm=1m of gain?

stevied
    Free Member

That’s my thinking bb…

willard

I live in Cambridgeshire. Just send me some ply, I’ll be fine.

Seriously nice work though, I like that a lot.

wwaswas

Just send me some ply, I’ll be fine

Do give it a good sand with some 1000grit first though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

you can always cheat with the vertical scale.

I remember doing something similar for GCSE geography with cardboard, to do the actual scale would have meant thin paper for each contour, to get it to look as steep as an actual hill required corrugated card. Even something steep like kinder scout, if you did it at the same 1km=2cm scale as 1:50k OS mapping it would be 4mm of height gain (200m) over 4cm.

lovewookie

If this becomes a thing, I’d so be up for one of the Malverns. Our house up here on the edge of Glasgow has lots of pictures of the malverns all over it. If I look out of my window and squint a bit, with the inversion carpeting the base of the Campsie Fells, I can almost feel like I’m home, almost.

Somehow Malvern has managed to become a very special part of my families lives. Our visits back home to hobbiton 😉

My daughter is only 15, but is planning on when she can move there to live.

gregsd
    Free Member

Have a look at Map Sculpture. They do raised relief maps in various materials (wood, bronze, aluminium) and sizes.

Northwind

That’s ace, love it. If you took that and dropped it somewhere in east anglia, it’d qualify as a descent.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I definitely want one in plywood! Don’t even really care where of but obvs. somewhere among
    the Purbecks.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘The Malvern's – 3D machined model’ is closed to new replies.