Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • The Malvern's – 3D machined model
  • Northwind

I’d totally buy a local pentlands one.

stevied
    Free Member

I can get 5m mapping done locally for a pretty good price. The one I have machined is os 50m which may explain the pixelation I’ve got currently. 5m would be, ooh, 10 times smoother.
    What sort of areas would people be I retested in? I can have a look at prices of the mapping for those areas..

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

That is stunning! I’d love one of those 😀

stumpy01

Gonna get it anodised? Would look great purple anodised….
    😆

amedias
    Free Member

Dartmoor! depending on price of course 🙂

myopic
    Free Member

If you are canvassing for areas that would be of interest, I would be interested in Pentlands and sure three would be many more. Though there are a few ridges of hills that would lend themselves to the format you showed, to do it justice you would need a more square area. Will watch with interest

Onzadog
    Free Member

I would be very interested in a peak district version. It would be nice to have a permanent record before DCC flatten the lot.

How large could you go?

BTW, how are those XTR chainset caps coming along?

onehundredthidiot

The Yair end of the tweed valley, if it could incorporate the three brethren it’d be brilliant.

(or the maiden’s paps near hawick)

stevied
    Free Member

Max size I could do would be about 600mm square, should be a decent size.
    XTR caps are on the back-burner at the moment I’m afraid..

bikebouy
    Free Member

Mine are a bit specific, although might not be 😀

1) Ironbridge George incl the Towers down to Jackfield, Incl Coalbrookdale (but leave out Broseley :wink:)
    2) South Downs Incl Warsash/coast North to Cheriton, West from Owlesbury East to Steep. If thats too big then incl Warsash/Hamble River, North to Cheriton, West Upham, East to East Meon but must include Privett and High Cross.

Plys fine, what other materials you intend to offer?

stevied
    Free Member

New version taking shape. 16″ x 4″ Should be 10x more accurate than the 1st one.

Travis

Kickstarter…..

bikebouy
    Free Member

Travis – Member
    Kickstarter…..

Good option !!

stumpy01

Ooooh, looks good with the ‘contour lines’ cut into it!

Travis – Member

Kickstarter…..

Would this require kickstarter if you already have access to a CNC tool?
    You could just set-up a simple website & offer popular sections of landscape on there, or a ‘custom’ option for an extra set-up fee.

How about Etsy? Could be a good way of setting up some kind of marketplace?

Travis

yeah Contour lines are looking good.
    Need to carve out the MTB tracks though 😉

I think here are a few people on here, who would be very keen on buying one, but obviously, cost of materials and time need to be accounted for.
    If the OP has the facility to offer other places, as well, then that could be positive.
    Maybe the Kickstarter isn’t for the CNC, but in help with mapping and getting a better picture of what he needs to make.

Houns

Interested

Would like a long mynd/caer caradoc version

stevied
    Free Member

Kickstarter is a good shout, I’ll look into it.
    The CNC’s are at work so I only have to pay for materials, programming and machining time.
    Once I’ve got an idea of time I’ll know how much they’ll cost. Individual maps can ve purchased so I can, hopefully, do any area of the UK. The bigger the area the more expensive the map though.

maccyb
    Free Member

My father-in-law lives in and loves to walk in the Malverns, but will probably be moving down to the SW with us in a few years – would definitely be interested in one as a gift for him. Add me to the list!

stevied
    Free Member

Machining finished, now for the frame

STATO
    Free Member

Wow! that is really impressive, interested to hear prices when you sort it all out.

Stoner
    Free Member

nice. is that 1:1 scale for elevation or slightly exaggerated.

What kind of frame will you give it? A dark wooden bezel?

stumpy01

Oh yes! That looks great! Gonna give it a clear anodise?

Just a thought for future efforts; it might be worth leaving some flat plate around the edge that the frame can sit against?

Interested to know what the total machining time for that is?!

stevied
    Free Member

Will work out a price asap.

@Stoner: Yep, 1:1 for scale. Taken from 5m resolution imagery. Will see what my bro-in-law has in the workshop. Was thinking oak but dark wood would be good.

funkrodent

Looks great. Genuinely interested. If the price is right I’ll quite possibly take two or three and would be interested in other areas as well.

EDIT – specifically south Lakes valleys of Kentmere and Longsleddale

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

Wow, this is fantastic, I have to have one. Please let us know a price when you can figure one out.

cokie

Aye, I’d love to have one of the local area! Would be perfect in the office.

rOcKeTdOg

needs some stick on trainset grass, trees and sheep

stevied
    Free Member

Finished and framed in oak:

If you’re interested drop me an email

steve_dees at hotmail.com

Murray

Absolutely stunning. Well done!

obelix
    Free Member

OP, looks like you’ve got all your software / hardware sorted, but for those others interested in this thread, these sites might be worth a look…

http://makezine.com/2014/11/15/3d-printing-topographic-maps-using-lidar/

and

http://dougmccune.com/blog/2014/12/30/using-shp2stl-to-convert-maps-to-3d-models/

slimjim78
    Free Member

Looks a bit like few rashers of streaky bacon wrapped in tin foil.

I want one.

Can you do locations on request? Would be nice to see the South Downs including a portion of coastline.

onehundredthidiot

Three brethren end of tweed valley. Pretty pretty please.

Onzadog
    Free Member

How about Han Solo?

stevied
    Free Member

Slimjim/OHI, yes, that’s the plan. If you can give me an area you’d want done I can price up the mapping files etc.
    Prob best to email me: steve_dees at hotmail.com

I’m pretty sure Han Solo has bin dun 😉

stevied
    Free Member

Been doing a bit more work on these today. Made a few small sections to try different options.
    One has gone for black anodising.
    Here’s a polished one:

And a ‘contours’ one done using a normal end mill:

ironnigel
    Free Member

Beautiful thing!

obelix
    Free Member

That contours one is surprisingly good looking, depending on your decor / taste possibly even nicer that the smooth ones. You’re really onto something here, if your prices are reasonable I’ll definitely be a customer.

stevied
    Free Member

Yeah, I really like the contoured one too. Polishing gives it an antique look.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Can you do one of behind the Nationwide?

myopic
    Free Member

^^ What areas are the last ones you posted above, Stevie?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘The Malvern's – 3D machined model’ is closed to new replies.